main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SJFF Movie Meetup 2: Opening Day showing of Pirates of the Caribbean 2 at a San Jose theater

Discussion in 'Archive: San Jose, CA' started by Knight_Dilettante, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Who's up for a San Jose Fan Force meeting at one of the opening day showings of Pirates 2?

The San Jose Century theaters currently aren't showing a midnight Thursday show. Mountain View has one though if that's desireable. Or there's showtimes on Friday July 7th at 12:30p, 3:50p, 7:10p, and 10:30p at the Century 22 in San Jose. Mountain View has the same showtimes.

I think the 7:10p Friday Century 22 showing is probably best for a movie meet-up unless Mountain View is closer for folks. We could grab takeout from Flames (or bring our own dinner) I bet and have a San Jose Fan Force meeting in line again. Only this time I'll bring a blanket so we can plop down on the ground and really talk. And cookies again.

Let's have a theme this time, everyone bring something to show their favorite aspect of Star Wars fandom. If you like gaming best bring something relating to that (your favorite computer game or the latest rule book for rpg-ing or whatever) or if you're primarily a costumer bring a photo of a costume (or knock all our socks off by showing up in costume), action figure collectors bring one to show off, fanfic addicts bring the title of your favorite... etc.

We'll talk about how to make the group official. We still need the three meetings since there was only the two of us last time. I'll PM the RSA tomorrow night after I see if anyone has a different preference for the showtime or theater.

KD

2. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I can't do it that late on the 7th, but you all have fun. I have every intention of seeing it that afternoon.

3. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Can you do 3:50? 'Cause I'm flexible but 3:50 is the earliest my hubby could make it. And I think I'd get in trouble if I went without him.

KD

4. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    We (me and Mrs. Sid) might be able to hook up to see the film that weekend, our favorite theater seems to currently be Camera 12 downtown, but we could also check out the Winchester Centuries if it's playing there as well. Heck, got pirate costumes but with the hot weather, no way are we putting all that gear on... maybe.

Hmmm. On the other hand, I'm a big a show off as there ever was...

Naw, heat.

Showing off / heat / showing off / heat....

*blinks*

Naw, don't think I'll do costume, but do want to see that movie. Keep us posted if you hit a target date/time.

5. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Will do. And I don't care how hot it is (it's air conditioned in the theater after all) I'm wearin' my uber-cool "Basil Rathbone in the Tyrone Power Zorro" Pirate boots! But I didn't get the Captain Jack hat at Disneyland this spring so I can't wear that. :( I would have, but apparently my head is bigger than Captain Jack's (and that's sayin' somethin' ain't it? [face_laugh]) so it perched atop my head and looked too foolish for words.

KD

6. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    3:50 I could definitely do! Very excellent.

7. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Bah, didn't stop most the people at the park this past weekend, LOL, even in the 90+ heat and humidity we saw tons of Micky ears with the pirate bandana, bandana with dreds, and the hat with dreds. Not to mention some of the full up costumed ones hanging outside the park as well.

Not one eyepatch though, guess they all figured out the hook early on...

8. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Oh, I found a midnight showing. The Plaza 4 on Winchester, if anyone's interested in that, I'd be willing to do that too. :D

9. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Midnight I'm doing as a date with Hubby so I think I'll have to miss that one. And unfortunately, I wasn't thinking when I asked about the 3:50 showing. :oops: I can't do that one because I have to pick up the child from daycare before the movie would finish. I don't have anyone I can ask to do that for me but I do have someone I can leave her with for the 7:10 showing. I don't know how I can keep forgetting about the issues relating to her since it's not like I haven't had years to get used to it.

So, anyway, I have to do 7:10pm on Friday evening. If people would rather do 3:50pm post in here and I'll ask the RSA to post a link to this thread. I think for the meeting to be official it has to have a time and date in the announcement (which at this point it might be too late to make anyway) so I'll wait until this evening to see if anyone sees this and prefers 3:50pm and then PM the RSA with that or the 7:10pm showing that we had earlier, depending. And I'm sorry for both the brain fade and the not getting back over here to check in sooner. Real life bites sometimes.

KD

10. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    OK, I haven't heard from anyone and it's much too late I think to have the RSAs announce this as a meeting. So rather than trying to have an "official" meeting, lets just meet up in line tomorrow at the Century 22. Those of us going to the 7:10 showing will be in line and the folks coming out of 3:50 can find us and we'll have at least a half hour to chat before they'll let the 7:10 people into the theater anyway. We can talk and see if we really want to try harder on the official meeting stuff or not.

I will be the red-head in black pirate boots that go up past my knees. Unless I decide to wear the pair that don't. Either way I'll be the red-head in black pirate boots. I'm not sure if I can come up with much else. Maybe a bandana and some trinkets in my hair. I'll be with a 6'2" guy who's growing out a buzz cut in his brown hair.

KD

11. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Our plans are kind of fluid for that night, if we go there, we'll look for you. I'll be wearing one of the ride T-Shirts, I've got about seven of them, so I'm not sure which one yet.

12. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Hmm... I'm probably gonna just hit the midnight showing this time around. I've never done one before. I'm fairly excited about it.

13. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Did you enjoy it Lilith? We had fun. There were a couple of really really good Captain Jack costumes at the MV theater.

So I'll see whoever manages to catch us there then, eh? I'll bring cookies. Just thought I'd mention that in case that was enough to tip the tide.

KD

14. SanJoseShark

SanJoseShark Jedi Master

Oct 4, 2004
    This is craaaazy!

15. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Was a matter of timing, we got to see it at the Oakridge Mall, fun film.

And stay through the ENTIRE credits if you have not seen it yet. Remember the monkey at the end of the first one? You'd have wondered what he was doing alive (?) if you had not seen that little bit, I expect there might be a bit more to the tag end on this film as well. Can't be sure, but I wonder...

16. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Little nervous about the movie when I found out that it and another sequel were filmed at the same time. Remember what happened to Back to the Future 2?
    [face_worried] [face_tired] :_|

Still, what do I know. I'm just a cranky movie watcher & proud reader of MrCranky.com :cool:

17. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Always tough when it's part 1 of a two part "filmed at the same time" issue. They have to give you enough to keep you going, put in enough action, but have to keep the cliffhanger to get you back for part 2. Yeah, Back to the Future, Lord of the Rings, etc, not to mention the biggest "gape fest", The Empire Strikes Back. All were a bit of a let down to many with the middle part, but all redeemed themselves in part III.

And at least we don't have to wait THREE YEARS to find out either, the next installment is next summer.

Kids who grew up with Star Wars after the mid 80's will never understand the frustration of all of us who saw Darth tell Luke the truth and then left it hang for 36 months.

18. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    I have to confess and apologize, and I meant to earlier but life is a zoo these days, I ended up unable to make it to the theater at all, Friday. I had an issue with my eyes that afternoon, and I couldn't go out at all, except to the doctor's office, until Monday. I apologize to anyone who showed up at the theater looking for cookies and didn't get any. I had every intention of showing up until I discovered I had eye problems. Thankfully, almost all better now.

So I still have to see this movie again and I'm even more glad I did the midnight show thing. BTW I totally agree about that 3 year hiatus between ESB and RotJ even if that does make me admit my age. I was pretty young but I was still sooooo mad at where things were left at the end of ESB I practically shouted "That can't be the end!" in the theater the first time I saw it. I feel a bit the same about this movie actually, except I'm older so I was able to refrain from shouting that in the theater with more ease this time. And I'm not quite as upset this time both because it is a less serious movie and because now I know that in real life, sometimes people are left hurting. But movies (especially silly escapist movies) are my fantasy world, and I hate it when characters are left hurting at the end. I don't mind if things aren't resolved, but the hurting bothers me. I doubt that made sense. Or else it made me sound a great deal mushier than I really am or something. [face_laugh]

KD

19. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, I may be a little older than you. I was 5, 9, and 12 when the original movies came out. [face_tired] :rolleyes: [face_whistling]

The idea of Bruckheimer and sequels... This is a guy who has produced 1 good movie (PotC:CotBP)=D= [face_hypnotized], 2 mediocre movies (Crimson Tide & something else I don't remember):cool: , and over 40 BAD movies[face_frustrated] . Makes you wonder why anyone would use him[face_thinking] . But I'm digressing...[face_whistling]

Hope you get to see this movie & enjoy it.
    :)

20. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Bruckheimer is a producer, which means he basically worked with the schedule to keep from running out of money. A ton of work, but not much as far as the creative aspects as the director, screen writer and such. You can blame producers for cutting corners and hamstringing directors and hiring bad casting people, etc, which CAN affect the creative aspects, on the other hand they can also be responsible for holding off the money people when things overrun, moving folks off their backside when they are not motivated to get on with the work and run interference while the director works to get it all on film his way.

Still, IMHO, Brukheimer has quite a pedigree, some are considered to be key films in the evolution of the industry, American Gigillo, Flashdance, Beverly Hills Cop, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Black Hawk Down, National Treasure. None were AFI winners to be sure, but all were responsible for advancing various film making technologies or showcasing actors talents. Most were big money makers, and sadly for Hollywood that is a lot of the focus, the ?Return on investment? and profit. Okay, none were classics, but there were a few of those I found entertaining at the least and worth a watch when they came out.

We?ll have to wait for the next Cinequest for visionary leadership and originality.

Still, I liked Pirates II and will likely be in line for the next installment.

For a really great tale, my hopes are on "Scanner Darkly". Phillip K. Dick has not translated well to the screen, his stories are radically different in print than what was seen in Total Recall and Blade Runner. His concepts are amazing mindbending stuff, a true "What if" author that relies more on characters against the techno backdrop instead of the other way around. Both of the film offerings were good stuff, but no where near what the vision the books offered.

We'll see how it goes.

21. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    While this may make me sound like a lightweight, I kinda like mindless action movies. They are great escapist entertainment and cheaper than therapy. I usually feel pretty cuffed when I learn a mindless action movie is going to be made by Bruckheimer. I have no idea why it happens, could be he has more brains than most, could be people with more brains are willing to work with him because his movies tend to make money, could be just a coincidence, but it seems like there is more there there in a Bruckheimer action flick than in some others. Whose names I can't think of off the top of my head, but the feeling is still there. 'Course I still haven't seen Pearl Harbor, so mmmv.

I'm looking forward to Scanner Darkly as well, LordSid. And cinequest next year would be a great place to meetup sometime during the fest!

Koohii, you're not older. But thanks for trying.

KD

22. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Well, I shan't ask.
    Hope you do get a chance to see the movie and enjoy it.

I'll probablly be waiting for DVD. Sadly, it's cheaper to wait 6 months to buy the DVD than to take 2 people to the theaters these days. And my wife can't take the heat or risk the germs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.