main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Snowed In

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by TIEace, Dec 14, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    We're getting a real winter this year in the northeast.

2. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    Yup. My mom's sick of it, but I love the winter(and most other times of year). I really want tomorrow off. It'd be the first snow day for me since 9th grade.

3. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    Same for me Reese. (cept it was 7th, so it was the same year... uhoh, i've confused myself)

Girl Scout cookies rock. Hopefully the cards i bought will come in soon.

4. Jedi Windu

Jedi Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    I would love to have a day or two off from school.

5. JediGrl831

JediGrl831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    We are getting a real norhteast winter this year. Lots and lots of snow. But, I'm sort of getting sick of it...it sort of loses its novelty after the first few storms.

Ehh...but, if it means days off from school then I can learn to deal with it!

6. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    You'll be down south soon enough, Grl.

7. Katriel

Katriel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2000
    Hey, Boston Public Schools have already called off school for tomorrow. You guys should keep checking WCVB and WHDH. I think by tonight you'll have your answers.

http://www.whdh.com

http://www.thebostonchannel.com

8. Pellaeon69187

Pellaeon69187 Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2000
    Katriel comes through again. What a gal. I think she should become are "information seeker".

9. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    Lady Link Katriel.

What about WBZ? :(

10. Katriel

Nov 5, 2000
    WBZ has the worst site in the world. I've never been able to find their school closings on it. That's why I didn't include it. Channel 5 has been flashing the no school announcements for a while now. My roommate is a teacher here in Quincy. She's as bad as you guys, she keeps checking and checking to see if she's off tomorrow.

By the way, the last prediction I saw which was by Bruce Schwoegler was 20 to 30 inches over most of Massachusetts. Holy Cow!

11. Jedi Windu

Sep 8, 1999
    Wow! They say this storm will rival the Blizzard of 78.

12. JediGrl831

JediGrl831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Katriel! You are totally awesome!! You can totally be our information seeker!

I know that Southbridge and Webster (which are neighboring towns) are already closed. But, Worcester isn't as of yet. So, its just a matter of time.

With twenty to thirty inches though we might not have school for a few days.

13. Katriel

Nov 5, 2000
    And that's not a good thing. I was 9 at the time of the Blizzard of '78. I didn't fully understand how dangerous and bad it was. We got 6 weeks off from school and that was every kids dream. No one could drive, it was against the law. Only emergency vehicles and medical personnel were allowed on the roads. It was so cool to walk down the middle of Main Street and not even worry about cars. But the bad part was they couldn't get food in to the grocery stores so they had to start rationing. We began eating bizarre meals. My mother would pull out of the cabinets all that stuff you might not normally use. We had pancakes one night, and other odds and ends. I turned 10 years old on Feb 17, 1978 and there wasn't any presents because my parents couldn't get to the stores to get anything. I was lucky to get a cake. Our only salvation was that an old family in town had a farm and doled out eggs and milk to certain neighbors. It was the only way we could get fresh milk. Otherwise you had to drink instant milk. That's why to this day everyone panics when they hear "snow" and runs to the grocery stores.

EDIT: Imagine this. The trucks can't get to the grocery stores and you can't get basic supplies. Have you ever wondered what you would do if you ran out of toilet paper and couldn't get any more? That's one of the many things we were without.

14. Jedi Windu

Sep 8, 1999
    Well, this time we are prepared for it. Snow removal is ten times better than it was 23 years ago. This storm may shut things down for a week but I don't think its impact will be as great as Blizzard of 78's.

15. Grand Admiral Reese

Sep 1, 1999
    A day or two off from school would be great. I don't want Wednesday off, though. It's a half-day as it is. And I'm scheduled to go to my Mom's class to read from The Hobbit that day...

16. Katriel

Nov 5, 2000
    Jedi Windu, yes and no (about snow removal). The April Fool's Storm three years ago was really bad and it was two days before my street was plowed. That's scary when you consider that if someone had a house fire or needed an ambulance, emergency vehicles would not have been able to get down my street.

17. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    I love snow.

18. Grand Admiral Reese

Sep 1, 1999
    Me too. It means I can sleep in. I like sleep. :)

19. Katriel

Nov 5, 2000
    WHITMAN-HANSON IS CLOSED!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!

20. Katriel

Nov 5, 2000
    Woburn and Worcester are closed tomorrow too. And Quincy. My roommate just came flying off the sofa to whoop it up.

Drat. I wish they did this for workplaces.

21. Katriel

Nov 5, 2000
    Zip A Dee Do Dah
    Zip A Dee Day
    My oh my what a wonderful day.
    The governor declared a State of Emergency and I don't have work today
    Zip A Dee Do Dah
    Zip A Dee Day!

*does a happy dance*

22. Grand Admiral Reese

Sep 1, 1999
    Ah, a day off. :)I slept through what would have been my most hated class. :)

23. TheJabberwocky

TheJabberwocky Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2001

Well, I don't know what it looks like everywhere else, but where I live, there's not more than 3 inches on the ground. I'll bet our superindentent feels sooo stupid right now....

Can we say false alarm? All those people who rushed out the the supermarkerts over the weekend must be wondering what to do with all the extra milk and bread

24. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    I got up normal time. I should be in geometry.

25. Pellaeon69187

Pellaeon69187 Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2000
    They say the heavy snow is supposed to come later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.