main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, Grimby's banned? What's the deal, guys?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by FamousAmos, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Will that silly feature disappear when / if we finally move?

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm not sure how VBulletin handles that type of thing. I haven't really played with banning on the test boards. Dingo might be able to answer that (or Grimby when he returns).

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    You guys could have saved yourselves some face if you just prepared a statement ahead of time. The head admin is banned and you didn't think it would bring up any issues? Sloppy folks, very sloppy.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I have an honest question - and please do not take this as any sort of dig - I am genuinely curious... exactly what are your duties as tech admin? The move and set up of the new boards seems like something you would be heavily involved in.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    And she has been involved with stuff on the new boards and move preparation. Just not that particular aspect of it.

6. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    I think it's pretty much obvious what's happened here. With Smelly and I coming back, Grimby read through some of our old unban requests and thought 'man, that looks like fun' and has decided to try it for himself. Perfectly understandable.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It would have helped if we knew ahead of time, but thanks for the show of support. :)

8. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I agree with you there, Rox but, as Jello said, we didn't have any advance warning.

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Why is it silly? If I notice someone hasn't posted in a while I'll at least know it's because they were banned. It's not like the page will tell you every single detail about it. That being said I don't care if it's there or not.

10. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Grimby didn't warn you guys? He couldn't ban himself so I am sure someone knew. Not buying it.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It sounds like your leader needs to work on his leadership skills.

Also... what Rox said.

12. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    As far as I can recall, vB does not disable the profile of banned users.

Just to clarify, the MS in general found out bare minutes before events occurred. We obviously do not know what might have transpired between the administrators. And yes, a statement could have been written ahead of time. But even then there would be details that did not make it into there which people would want to know and we'd be in the same place.

Finally, at least we're actually saying truthfully that something has occurred rather than in the past where a moderator would just be 'taking a short break'.

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    There's no big conspiracy theory here. The admin knew shortly in advance that Grimby was taking a voluntary self-ban, the mods didn't know til after it was implemented. We're talking a gap of a few hours here.

EDIT: Dingo is correct, MS was informed minutes before but that doesn't change anything. I'm sure you will all be very disappointed when Grimby comes back.

14. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    Hey Guys (Mods & Admins)

I know you're all kicking your feet and being bashful and, in the light of what's happened in the past, I totally understand your embarrassment about the whole thing, but look - if you really want me to stand in as Head Admin until Grimby gets back, it would really be churlish of me to refuse.

Seriously, I can see that you've seen the error of your ways and, in the circumstances, I'd be glad to help out.

:)

15. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    The other admins knew a bit before the rest of MS, but not way in advance.

Since we really couldn't say much, I didn't see a point in making a formal announcement thread about it ("Hey guys, we can't say anything about this, sorry!"). I was well aware that someone would notice and start a thread here (as did happen), and figured that such a thread would serve equally well to say the very little we can. And it has.

16. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i don't think anyone really cares that much, it just seems like a pretty odd/silly/unnecessary thing to do. whatever credence was hoped to be attained ("head admin is teh same as the people") is outweighed by the sheer daftness of it all.

17. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    See, we really didn't know if you'd be willing to take the high road or not otherwise we'd have asked straight away. Given that Grimby will be back in only a couple of hours it wouldn't be fair to slam you with all the work for such a short time.

We'll remember for next time though.

18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    No, no one does really care that much and it's only down to a board glitch that it was "made public". Had that glitch not been around, no one would have noticed and no one would haved cared. There was certainly no credence to be attained otherwise there would have been an announcement.

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Halibut could not have put it any better.

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i just can't wait to see what inane thing the head admin had himself banned for. i'll bet he could have just given himself a warning.

Debo likes this.
  21. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    So in an attempt to make a point to whomever, obviously MS or other staff, and not users, to show that he doesn't hold himself above the rules of the community, he has himself demoted and banned when the staff here tells users that request this to just log out and not post?

How does that put a mod/manager/admin on the same level when it comes to something they feel is needed to be self-imposed?

Honestly, I don't care why he felt this was needed, because it's been stated plenty that it's no big deal. What I don't get, is why he didn't "Just log off and not post", or at least gone green for the weekend. It may not end up being over anything majour, but it was obviously something he felt was important enough to take a step that regular users(and I thought MS as a whole) don't have the privilege of being allotted, upon request.

22. World_Cup_Wally

World_Cup_Wally Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2010
    Wouldn't someone have noticed his username being in the colour of the riff-raff?

23. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    It's "no big deal" in the sense that any other ban is "no big deal". The ins and outs of any ban are for the user and MS, and this is no different. As Dingo has said, this is about something which isn't just the desire to not post for a couple of days.

And WCW, that is a fair point.

24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Tom made me snort. lol I love you guys.

25. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Are you seriously suggesting that people on the boards wouldn't notice that their head admin no longer had colors or no longer was a moderator? Seriously?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.