main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC So I'm fantasy vacationing on expedia....

Discussion in 'Community' started by KissMeImARebel, Jul 19, 2014.

1. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    So if I fly from Boston to Munich, I can fly nonstop on Lufthansa for about $1250 round trip.

But if I want to go to Poland from from Boston, there are no nonstop flights, but I can fly a Boston-Munich-Krakow 1 stop flight that costs $1050 AND the Boston-Munich leg is literally the same flight numbers as those in the the above scenario.

Okay, I get it: nonstop flights get to be more expense because no one likes stopovers. This isn't anything new to me.

But what I've always wanted to know is -- if I really wanted to go to Munich as my final destination -- could I theoretically buy the $1050 Boston to Krakow ticket, and then just get off at Munich (and back on again there when returning)? I feel like there would be some kind of sneaky way the airlines would prevent this but I'm curious. [face_thinking]

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Wait, are you saying you want to go to Munich and Krakow?

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Hi! If you want cheap-ass flight routings, you've come to the right place...

First, as to the last part: you don't want to do that. Getting off at Munich and not continuing to Krakow will typically void the rest of your journey. It's a totally valid strategy in some cases, but these are either a) one-way tickets where you never have any intention of continuing on to the final destination or b) a round-trip where you do it on the return-leg because you want to end up in a different city than you started (or just did some funky routing).

Second, when do you want to go? Are you flexible with your dates? Are you traveling alone? Are you willing to make stops? If so, how many? etc.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Two Lesbians. Probably sisters. I'm just watching.

Ender Sai and solojones like this.
  5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Can I hear more from Gareth, please?

Ender Sai and Diggy like this.
  6. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Okay this makes sense. So basically I could get off at Munich all well and good, but not continuing on to Krakow voids the rest of the ticket (including the return trip)? Like, I'd show up and they wouldn't give me my boarding passes?.[/quote]

Oh this is purely hypothetical. I have no money atm. (Although I was choosing Poland because it's on my to see list). But I've wondered about this sort of strategy on and off for a while because I know how nonstop flights get jacked up.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, becoming a no-show for any portion of your itinerary will usually result in the cancellation of the rest of your itinerary, which is why you only do it on a return-leg of a round-trip or on a one-way fare where the through-fare is less (rarer these days, but still happens on occasion; usually on routing through hubs).

KissMeImARebel likes this.
  8. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    I had a feeling it was too good to be true!

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Also, consider that you don't need to fly between somewhere like Munich and Poland; look into getting trains if cost is an issue on an international flight. Travelling by train in Europe is the best.

KissMeImARebel likes this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Trains are awesome. Now that I'm not a student, I want to try some non-budget overnight train options in Europe.

11. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Such as Venice Simplon-Orient-Express options?

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

For sure, but even something simpler like the Moscow-St. Petersberg overnight which I've done before, or something like London to Eastern Europe via Switzerland.

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  13. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    It beyond silly how they charge you less to further sometimes.
    Like DP said, you can take advantage of it sometimes.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I got a 1st class train from Amsterdam to Köln and it's just shy of 3hrs. Same as Roma to Firenze.

It's the best.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm doing Acela tomorrow from NYC to BOS, so will be interesting.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My parents are travelling in Europe end of August. They won't bring me. Wah wah wah.

17. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I did this already, boring trip. :p

(I'm sure you'll be in the high roller car with Peter King, I was not.)

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also, you'd have to travel only with carry-ons if you were to leave at a connecting destination. :p

If you're entertained by finding cheap indirect flights though, consider doing some random journey that takes you via a really long and inefficient route which could also be cheaper (though not always; multiple legs can also just end up being pricey too). But like, consider flying Aeroflot and going to Moscow and then back to Krakow. . You know, if it's still allowed to use that airline.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Jello, the train option is better. Not everyone can afford a private jet like you!

20. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Ya really enjoy the trains although I'm flying from Vienna to Amsterdam in a few weeks.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Don't go via the Ukraine.

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm good at landing in cities following a national tragedy. I did that in Oslo a few summers ago and it was awkward.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I want to hear Jabba-wocky 's views on travelling via train. I suspect the excitement of steam travel was big in the 1800s, when he was alive.