main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

** SOFTWARE Help / Advice **

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by George Mezori SCIFI 3D, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    This will cover every app. For now I'm not gonna make a MAX one, a LW one, etc. etc. To keep the thread from being cluttered you guys should post your question, take it up via PM or EMAIL privately, then come back and share you solution. Then in the future people can search the site or this thread for answers. I want people to share problems, help each other, etc. But we can't flood the forum and turn it into a training place. SCIFI-MESHES has forums specific for each piece of software and will gladly help people... as long as they're not dumb questions. Otherwise feel free to talk here.

2. insta111

insta111 Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    ok, I have a question. my Lighting/Shading wont work in Maya PLE. does anybody know how to fix it? The program stops responding when you try to pick the color

3. TheSithLord89

TheSithLord89 Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2004
    maybe its a glitch.I am not to fimiliar with maya.So I cant say.sorry.

4. insta111

insta111 Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    i donloaded the new drivers for my graphics card and it works now

5. 20x6

20x6 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I'm hoping this is the place to ask this. . .

I just got hired on at a hospital as the media coordinator for neurosurgery. They want to implement 3d illustrations into their presentations. I've dealt with a few of the programs enough to be able to animate something, but I don't really have the capabilities to make objects from scratch.

So here's the question: Does anyone know of any kind of human anatomy package that would have objects or meshes for any of the major 3d programs? (We haven't bought one yet, so it doesn't matter whether it's 3ds Max, Lightwave, Maya, Bryce, etc. Infact object availability will probably determine which one we go with.)

6. PicaroMT

PicaroMT Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2004
    I would look at both TurboSquid's and Viewpoint's model libraries.

7. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    I've been looking at using Combustion with 3D Studio Max for the Meteor Shower scene in my Fan Film.

Does any one here have any personal experience with combustion, or know of any tutorials that deal with their particles?

8. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    The particles systems in Combustion was licensed from particleIllusion by Wondertouch, so the same tutorials apply. You can even use emitter libraries from PI (though not the latest as PI has gone through a few minor updates).

For tutorials I can recommend The Focal Easy Guide to Discreet's Combustion 3 by Gary Davis (Focal Press) and it has a tutorial on using particles. On the more visual side there are a few training DVDs on Combustion that cover all aspects.

9. Darthshoppingmall

Darthshoppingmall Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2001
    I needed help with Photometric lighting in MAX r6. I set them in a scene and all my objects become black silouettes where they should be. I tried posting in the main section of the fan activites section and no one seems to care. I really want help figuring this out. And I know someone here will give me crap about posting in here too. So help me out anyway.

10. JimBobCarl

JimBobCarl Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    Bryce Beginner tutorials? Anyone, anyone?

11. Zandoran_Celix

Zandoran_Celix Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Ok i jsut got blender...but everytime i click a button it doubles and triples and then it blurrs together and i cant get it to do anything...i cant even jsut play aorund wiht it to elarn some of its stuff....Any advice?

12. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Sounds like either a problem with the installation or your graphics settings. I would make sure everything is set really low (don't have Blender, but things like Open GL and such) and then try it again. It could also be a resolution issue...just a few ideas. Hope you get it working!

13. Zandoran_Celix

Feb 16, 2005
    ehh still no good

14. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Hmm, well assuming the installation went well, what else are you running while you use the program and what are your PC's specs?

15. Zandoran_Celix

Feb 16, 2005
    its a brand new xp machine....2 hardrives 30 and 40 gigs...im not sure on the others ones and im too sleepy to look im pm them to you later. 256 megs a ram.....so yeah

16. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Well it sounds like you should be fine...have you looked through the support stuff at Blender's site?

17. TrowaGP02a

TrowaGP02a Jedi Master star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    Ok I have a question about rendering somethig in Maya. I have my scene and cameras and everything. The problem is, when rendering, the cameras dont pick up Image Planes. How can I get the perspective views and cameras to see the Image planes when rendering a frame or clip? Relly sorry if this is a dumb question, could really just use some help.

18. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    I don't know if this will help you at all, but I found this with a quick Google search:

Turn Off an Image Plane's Primary Visibility

The user must create a primitive 2D geometry plane and match it's location with the renderable camera. Once the plane and the camera are matched correctly, import the image file texture and assign it to the plane. The planes Primary Visibility can be turned off within the Attribute Editor (Render Stats menu-> check off Primary Visibility).

For objects to reflect and refract this "imitation" image plane, ensure Raytracing is turned on within the Render Globals (Window-> Rendering Editors-> Render Globals). The objects within the scene will now reflect and refract the image assigned to the geometry plane, which now has its primary visibility turned off.

Hope that helps!

19. bigbaldpapa

bigbaldpapa Jedi Knight

Apr 13, 2005
    I am the newbest of noobs. I am serching the site and not finding my answer... Being the noobest of noobs you will all beat me for sure... but i still need to know...

I DLed Blender... gonna run some tuts on it... I also DLed the toon stormtrooper from this site. However when i go to open it, it is a .rar

I have no friggin clue on what that is or what i need to do with it.

I was guessing that the model would work in blender.

Any help would be super.

-signed, bigbaldpapa, noobest of noobs!

20. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Welcome to SciFi-3D! The .rar filetype is an archive format like .zip/.tar/etc. You can decompress the file using a variety of tools like these. Hope that helps!

21. bigbaldpapa

bigbaldpapa Jedi Knight

Apr 13, 2005
    Thanks. Got that much worked out and understood. Now, do 3dS Max files not work in blender? Or should I try another file? If I shuold be reading this elsewhere and I am just not seeing it please point me in the right direction.

-bigbaldpapa, noobest of noobs

22. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Have you tried the support files available on the Blender website? Most of the info you seek will probably be in there. Hope that helps!

23. jack_sogaard

jack_sogaard Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2004
    So it finally seem that i have found the right place to ask my question.

Im looking for a program to edit my scenes with... Something i can use for: Adding voice, cutting scenes and stuff like that.

Hope you can help me...

24. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    I would take a look at some of the resources and information here.

25. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    jack_sogaard posted on 4/26/05 11:38am
    So it finally seem that i have found the right place to ask my question.

Im looking for a program to edit my scenes with... Something i can use for: Adding voice, cutting scenes and stuff like that.

Hope you can help me...
    [hr][/blockquote]

Just out of total morbid curiosity, did you even TRY Google? I bet if you were to type in something like "digital video editing" into Google the first thing it would say is ADOBE PREMIERE.

That's a hint. Go look up "ADOBE PREMIERE". Seriously. Now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.