main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton something very concerning....

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by major_jedi_failure, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. major_jedi_failure

major_jedi_failure Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    if you've subscribed to tfn's newsletters, then you've probably heard that the president of the association of movie theatres (or something like that) isn't planning on getting more theatres to start showing movies in digital format. so scott (our boy at tfn) has started an email chain telling people to email these people (theatre association) and tell them that if theatres update to digital, there WILL be an increase in people going to the movies (bear with me, i suck at economics).
    it's pretty much a petition, and NUMBERS COUNT.

so if you've gotten the newsletter, please take 5 minutes and write a captivating and moving letter to "the bad theatre people", asking them "nicely" to promote upgrading most theatres to digital standards.

as you probably know by now, there isn't a theatre with digital format anywhere near our beautiful city :( :_|, but i plan on seeing episode 3 in the best quality possible(hopefully there'll be more digital screens by then near edmonton). we want to convince these people that it's worth the money to make people's theatre experiences more enjoyable

if you haven't recieved the email, then just put your email address on this thread, and i'll send it to you.

2. Obi-Timbo

Obi-Timbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2001
    I read an article early this month about theatres and why they are not so quick to get into digital projection, these projectors are extremely expensive, I copy and pasted the article below. I think this manager presents a good alternative view as to why digital projection is not taking off so quickly.

Tim

The following was sent in. We're very eager to get digital projection in theaters, just like Rick McCallum mentioned. However, it seems appropriate to air the opinion of someone from the other side of the fence:

I'm the manager that was mentioned during the opening ceremonies for letting some Lucasfilm employees into a showing of Spider-Man. I wanted to use my .05 seconds of fame to get something off my chest that I had to explain over and over again to people I met in lines during Celebration II.
    Digital projection is still very much in the "concept car" stage of development. Although concept cars look great (well, some of them) and have awesome options, they are not yet intended to be mass produced for the general public in the next year...

Many of the largest American theater chains have recently emerged from bankruptcies that were primarily brought about by too much growth and over-saturation of markets with bloated complexes that cost too much to operate. There were many bad decisions made by the theater chains in recent years. One of the lessons learned was that you can't just go about building large complexes in untested markets. On the whole, the largest theater chains were bought out, merged, and are now owned by very shrewd investors reluctant to spend money on anything that is not going to produce a long-term return.

However, theater chains are not trying to block the evolution of digital projection as Rick McCallum alludes. Instead, they are hesitant to invest in a technology that may only have a shelf life of less than 10 years.

It's not that we won't have digital projection in the future because someone out there thinks film is superior to digital. Not in the least! We all (hopefully) agree that DVD is far superior to VHS. Music CDs blow away audio tapes. The problem is that theater chains are afraid to make an investment in the next "Betamax" or "Laserdisc" format of projection. Filling a brand new state-of-the-art 30-screen theater complex with digital projectors that need to be replaced in 5 years for the next "new" projector (i.e. another digital format or satellite projection) just isn't feasible....

35mm film projectors have proven their long term investment potential (and, I agree, they definitely are outdated technology). Theater chains now need some sort of similar guarantee that the new multi-thousand dollar projector technology that they buy will last for a sufficient amount of time and be readily supported by distributors for years to come.

Theater chains don't need you to call them like Rick McCallum is telling you to. My fellow theater managers and I ALREADY KNOW that this is the future. By looking at exhibitor magazines, which are filled with different types of digital projection equipment to buy (with different formats), I'm pretty sure my bosses as well as the top executives are aware that this new technology is on the way in.

If you call us, also call Rick McCallum. What theater chains need is for Rick McCallum and other experts in the field to find a digital standard that can help guarantee a long term investment (10+ years) for projection. After the bankruptcies, theater chains are counting their pennies. On top of it, distributors are demanding more and more money from the box office take.

The blame for the lack of digital projection today is not for theater chains to bear alone. Theater chains have made several mistakes in the past 10 years leading to all these bankruptcies, but there are other parties out there who can DO MORE to make this transition, which is inevitably going to happen, easier and quicker...

If Lucasfilm wants this so much, maybe Lucasfilm should prove it by donating profits from their movies to the focused development

3. major_jedi_failure

major_jedi_failure Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    point taken. thanx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.