main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Somewhere in the Middle - (OWK/QGJ) - Chapter 36: March 12, 2012

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    You devious author - you are planting the KNOWLEDGE now that Obi-Wan is that child - but is it so obvious that it is misdirection?!

Ignoring the fact that some mysterious someone wanted that child for the moment - should Obi-Wan be that child, it will indeed be interesting how you weave the various claims and rights together.

I am reminded of those surrogate mothers who could not give up the biological child of others, etc.

Well done!

2. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    So Obi is already big on worrying then? Seems all his friends don't do much of it:p
    But I guess I would be disturbed, too, in thise circumstances.
    And Yoda is as cryptic as always...

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Trying to throw us off track.[face_whistling]
    It might be Garen[face_thinking]

but it looks like Obi-Wan[face_worried] I hope Qui-Gon fights for his Padawan.

=D=

4. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    This is a rather interesting AU story.

5. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    Woah! Nice way to twist things up a bit! [face_thinking]

I wonder who it could be? Although Obi-Wan worrying about it tells me that somehow the Force is giving him a bad feeling of some sort...

~Celeste

6. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Gah, meant to reply earlier -but good continuation! It's getting quite suspenseful as you pull Obi-Wan's two lives, the former and the present, back together.

7. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    like it, how the story is going on. Can´t wait for the next chapter.

8. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot You devious author - you are planting the KNOWLEDGE now that Obi-Wan is that child - but is it so obvious that it is misdirection?!

Ignoring the fact that some mysterious someone wanted that child for the moment - should Obi-Wan be that child, it will indeed be interesting how you weave the various claims and rights together.

I think I may feel a bit intimidated in regard to this fic. I never meant for it to be a mystery or to hide anything from the readers. I hope you won?t be disappointed in regard to the way events will unfold. [face_worried]

GeneralKenobi7 So Obi is already big on worrying then?

It?s something he can?t get out of his head, and with the dreams not going away, well?.

Seems all his friends don't do much of it.

They don?t worry too much about life on the outside of the Order unless they?re on a mission and caught up in the chaos. Garen?s trying to relieve his friend?s stress by making light of the circumstances.

But I guess I would be disturbed, too, in this circumstance. It?s the unkown that bothers him.

And Yoda is as cryptic as always.... He needs to meditate. :p

Gkilkenny Trying to throw us off track. Not intentionally. :)

It might be Garen. Not in the way it came across.

I hope Qui-Gon fights for his Padawan. No worries there!

JediKaren This is a rather interesting AU story. Thank you! :)

CelseteAntola Woah! Nice way to twist things up a bit! Not intentional, I assure you. :)

I wonder who it could be? ?Who? will be revealed as the story goes.

Although Obi-Wan worrying about it tells me that somehow the Force is giving him a bad feeling of some sort....

He could lose the only life he knows. :(

TheMacUnleashed Gah, meant to reply earlier - but good continuation! It's getting quite suspenseful as you pull Obi-Wan's two lives, the former and the present, back together. Thanks! :)

littleobiwankenobi Like it, how the story is going on. Can?t wait for the next chapter.

Thanks! :)

Recap: Chapter 3: Obi-Wan is having dreams about what he knows not, only that some are decent and some not so much. Qui-Gon is visiting with Master Yoda while Obi-Wan and Garen go out into the city to visit the History Museum, while there and unknown to him, Obi-Wan meets the elder brother of the missing child he researched for one of his classes. Chapter 4: Qui-Gon discussed his concerns with Yoda while Obi-Wan and Garen visited the History Museum in order to earn extra credit for one of their courses. On their way back home, Obi-Wan explains to Garen what?s been troubling him. We also got to peek at a possible scenario in regard to Ben Abrams kidnapping.

Author's Note: When the plot bunny for Somewhere in the Middle bit, it was never meant to be a suspense or mystery type story. The concept was (and still is) centered on the characters and their reactions to certain events, how the characters handle them, and how those road bumps may or may not meddle with their lives.

I get the impression that the story line is too obvious. To be honest, it?s supposed to be. I?m not trying to hide anything from the readers. This story is about a teen who, after thinking about his own life, managed to relate it with that of someone else?s and came up with the question of, ?What if that?s me?? As it moves along, the character is worrying over the possibilities and what it could mean, and in the meantime, his mentor is worrying over the consequences of the outcome if it turns out to be true.

Hopefully this makes sense and possibly clears up any confusion or questions.

A big thank you to all of you for reading and for your replies; your thoughts are much appreciated!

9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

When the plot bunny for Somewhere in the Middle bit, it was never meant to be a suspense or mystery type story. The concept was (and still is) centered on the characters and their reactions to certain events, how the characters handle them, and how those road bumps may or may not meddle with their lives.

I get the impression that the story line is too obvious. To be honest, it?s supposed to be. I?m not trying to hide anything from the readers. This story is about a teen who, after thinking about his own life, managed to relate it with that of someone else?s and came up with the question of, ?What if that?s me?? As it moves along, the character is worrying over the possibilities and what it could mean, and in the meantime, his mentor is worrying over the consequences of the outcome if it turns out to be true.

Not to worry - the story is JUST FINE the way it is and the way you intend. In fact, other than wondering about the misdirection, you are handling the character's responses as I would hope - thoughtfully and with no clear right or wrong.

With that said - wahoo - an update - and Garen? Garen!

And Jace - now I have to go back because I feel something just slipped by me.

Wonderful job you're doing!

10. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    Thanks so much for the update!! I loved reading the section where Obi and Qui had some family bonding, and having Qui watch Obi sleep was so sweet!!!

I also love the twists you've added to the story. :)

11. GeneralKenobi7

Jan 18, 2009
    I agree with Valairy, the story is just fine as it is.
    Garen's Obi-Wan's cousin?!!? I certainly didn't expect that, but I hope they'll find that out eventually:)
    Loved the Obi/Qui mush[face_love]

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    What if - what if GAREN is the missing Ben?

<Just a thought>: [face_talk_hand] I don't really think so, because it's pretty certain that Garen is Garen, but it was a random thought that popped into my head while reading the last post above this one.

It's just that Jace's actions and thoughts are - lacking clarity - even after rereading the story. There is information missing yet.

13. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Jace sounds fairly level headed.
    If it is Obi then Jace understands how he might feel.

Excellent story.=D=

14. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot Not to worry - the story is JUST FINE the way it is and the way you intend. In fact, other than wondering about the misdirection, you are handling the character's responses as I would hope - thoughtfully and with no clear right or wrong.

Thanks! :) As for the misdirection, in regard to Garen, it was more of a friend trying to relieve the worry of another by voicing another possibility.

With that said - wahoo - an update - and Garen? Garen!

Couldn't leave him out! ;)

What if - what if GAREN is the missing Ben?

<Just a thought>: I don't really think so, because it's pretty certain that Garen is Garen, but it was a random thought that popped into my head while reading the last post above this one.

Random thought sounds good! ;)

And Jace - now I have to go back because I feel something just slipped by me. It's just that Jace's actions and thoughts are - lacking clarity - even after rereading the story. There is information missing yet.

Not really?Jace is a little vague right now because he doesn?t really know what?s going on himself. In that train of thought, he can?t really express what he?s thinking because he isn?t sure himself. It?s like having some pieces of a puzzle and you have an idea of what the picture might look like, but until you have the majority or all of the pieces, it?s only an estimated guess. He feels that he?s seen something that means something, but needs more information to put it altogether. Hope that helps!

Wonderful job you're doing!

Thank you, I appreciate that!

dimyavie Thanks so much for the update!! I loved reading the section where Obi and Qui had some family bonding, and having Qui watch Obi sleep was so sweet!!!

Thank you! Those two have a developed a father/son relationship; so in light of this new development, Qui-Gon is beginning to wonder if it?s possible that he may lose his ?son?.

GeneralKenobi7 I agree with Valairy, the story is just fine as it is.

Thank! :)

Garen's Obi-Wan's cousin?!!? I certainly didn't expect that, but I hope they'll find that out eventually.

They'll find out something.

Loved the Obi/Qui mush

Me too! [face_love]

Gkilkenny Jace sounds fairly level headed. If it is Obi then Jace understands how he might feel.

With Jace?s father being in public service and dealing with his brother?s disappearance and the effect it?s had on his family, he?s grown up a little faster than normal. He sees all sides when he looks at something, not just a narrow minded view. And the fact that Ben was his brother and not a son, he misses Ben, but he?s able to look at it more objectively than his parents might otherwise would.

Excellent story.

Thank you!

Recap: Chapter 4: Qui-Gon discussed his concerns with Yoda while Obi-Wan and Garen visited the History Museum in order to earn extra credit for one of their courses. On their way back home, Obi-Wan explains to Garen what?s been troubling him. We also got to peek at a possible scenario in regard to Ben Abrams kidnapping. Chapter 5: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have both admitted they aren?t ready to know the truth about Ben Abrams. Nyla and her sister Alys Mulan have had a nice visit, discussing Garen?s training with the Jedi and whether Ben should have been sent to the Jedi. Jace feels like he?s stumbled across some missing piece, but until he has more information he can?t yet put it all together.

Chapter 6

When she arrived back at her humble abode, a man was leaning against her doorframe.

?I was wondering when you?d get ba?.? Not seeing the kid, he looked around before narrowing his eyes and asking, ?Where?s the brat??

She didn?t so much as flinch at the steel in his voice. She simply unlocked the door, knowing he?d follow. Placing her key on the kitchen counter, she turned and leaned back

15. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    An update, an update! [face_dancing]

So, the parties are all slowly coming together...my only problem with this story is it's too long between updates.

16. GeneralKenobi7

Jan 18, 2009
    The first part was quite mysterious...I wonder what happened to the woman...[face_thinking]
    Mace being Mace again *sigh*

17. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    I wonder what will happen at the senate gathering. Some one will recognise Ben?

Great update.=D=

18. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot An update, an update! So, the parties are all slowly coming together...my only problem with this story is it's too long between updates.

Slowly, yes. :) This chapter is a little longer than the others. I couldn?t find a place to separate it, so it all got posted.

GeneralKenobi7 The first part was quite mysterious...I wonder what happened to the woman...

She died. Her partner wasn?t too happy with the choice she made in turning the kid over to the Jedi. :(

Mace being Mace again *sigh*

Yes, Mace can be a bit of a pain now and then. :rolleyes:

Gkilkenny I wonder what will happen at the senate gathering. Some one will recognize Ben?

Perhaps! [face_thinking]

Great update.

Thanks, that means a lot! [:D] I think interest in this fic may have dwindled. :(

Author?s Note: Towards the end of this chapter, the name Nathan is actually Jace?s middle name: Jace Nathan Abrams. I didn?t want anyone to think I was introducing a new character.

Recap: Chapter 5: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have both admitted they aren?t ready to know the truth about Ben Abrams. Nyla and her sister Alys Mulan have had a nice visit, discussing Garen?s training with the Jedi and whether Ben should have been sent to the Jedi. Jace feels like he?s stumbled across some missing piece, but until he has more information he can?t yet put it all together. Chapter 6: We learned that one of Ben?s kidnappers died at the hands of her partner. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have to attend the Senate?s welcome back gathering.

Hope you enjoy! :)

Chapter 7

Garen watched his friend try to hide a yawn for the third time since they had left the Temple. When the other gave the city beyond the window he was currently looking out of a prolonged blink, Garen reached over with his foot and kicked the others boot. On one hand he felt bad for Obi-Wan, he knew what it was to be tired after a long mission; but on the other hand, he was glad to have someone suffer with him through the political mess they were going to attend that evening.

Obi-Wan looked at his friend and a slight blush rose upon his cheeks; he knew he?d been caught. When he looked over to see if his master had noticed, he sighed in relief; Qui-Gon was currently distracted by his conversation with Master Rhara.

Garen switched seats in the air taxi so he was sitting next to his age mate. ?Are you sure you?re up to this??

The other shrugged. ?Doesn?t matter, the Council seems to think my presence is required.?

?Maybe your fan club of senator?s daughters will be there tonight.?

A look of barely disguised disgust crossed Obi-Wan?s features. ?It wouldn?t be so bad if they?d learn what personal space was. Besides, they?re just curious about the Jedi. If I was anyone else, they wouldn?t give me a passing glance.?

?Maybe, but then again, when you turn on the Kenobi charm it makes it harder for them to resist.?

Brows furrowing, Obi-Wan shook his head. ?I do no such thing.?

A soft chuckle escaped Garen?s lips. ?You do my friend, and you don?t even know it.?

The cab pulled up to the curb and stopped; the driver exited the vehicle and went around to the passenger side to open the door for the occupants. A little taken back by the gesture, never having had one the drivers offer this service, Qui-Gon nevertheless thanked the man before following his colleagues into the Senatorial building.

?Obi-Wan.?

The young man slowed his pace until his master was walking beside him. ?Yes, master??

?Keep the bond open; as you?ll remember from previous years, these gatherings can be rather crowded. I?d like to be able to sense your whereabouts since I know we?ll get separated amongst the curiosity and political what not of the senators.?

Obi-Wan smiled at his master?s diplomatic versions of the words he had used earlier to describe their unwanted predicament. ?Of course, Ma

19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, Jace knows...that last line just gives it away. I'm glad the boys are becoming friends, and I think Obi-Wan's honesty about his life will weigh heavily on Jace.

20. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    Thanks for the update! I like that Jace knows. Having the bit about Obi not wanting to be out of Qui's sight was sweet too :) I look forward to reading more.

21. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    *gasp* He knows!!! :eek:

It'll be interesting to see where this goes from here... [face_thinking]

~Celeste

22. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    =D= Great updates! You're doing well hinting at things to come, and I love your usage of flashbacks to move the story along.

Thanks for the PM's! [face_peace]

23. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Now Jace has a problem.
    what to say or do. Should he leave well enough alone.
    Interesting.=D=

24. GeneralKenobi7

Jan 18, 2009
    Oh, now Jace has to decide. Take Obi-Wan's word for his happiness and leave well enough alone or tell someone...
    Great post! Loved teh quip about the senators' daughters:p

25. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    I think I missed one chapter. So Love the story, please more........