main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Species Bias

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Chewbacca89, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    Corellians always felt like a mix between Texans and Irishmen to me. They value family highly, have loud and often violent arguments, have exceeding large egos, and do whatever they want (the hell with the odds). I'm wondering if that ritual of sharing ryschcate is based on an Irish tradition.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Stackpole's Corellians play into stereotypes or Hollywood treatment of Irish-Americans -- they're all either cops or criminals, they're all obsessed with family, when somebody dies they go get drunk at the wake, they're an expatriate culture, their main cultural signifier is whiskey . . . Stackpole is pulling straight from the Irish-American Fiction Handbook here.

3. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Ok, you have a point, still his name isn't O'Horn LOL

Zorrixor likes this.
  4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Corran O'Horn? [face_laugh]

5. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Corran O'Hornahan?

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  6. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Either way, the Horn family is my favorite.

7. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    i just want to put this out there. my family has a deep Irish ancestory. my last name is Kelly (im a guy) one of my great ancestors was named Patrick o Kelly. :p

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Corran's great-grandfather, Plenty O'Horn, was a big hit with the ladies.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Corran's Irish? That would explain why was always thinking about his lucky charm.

Zeta1127 and Gorefiend like this.
  10. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    I can't believe I never put this together before. *smacks face*

11. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    We have gotten really off topic.

12. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Indeed we have. But, that's the nature of Lit for you. In a very similar topic, the Diversity Thread, a discussion on comics had gone on for far too long, and now it has segued into LotR. Tangents happen. How to thwart them is to bring up new discussion about the original topic. I shall help...

Dan Wallace once wrote a blog (now defunct, no thanks to the overhaul of the official site) about such speciesism, entitled similarly to Gamorreans Drive Like This, Gungans Drive Like That. At least I think it was Dan who wrote it. Not as if I can readily check to be sure, thanks a whole lot, TOS reboot. But, he pointed out that species as a whole are represented by one or two prominent members.

I had mentioned in the Diversity thread that this is due to RPG sources making generalizations based on one representative, but these were merely to kick-start an RPG campaign. After that, the game master can steer that species' various representatives in whatever personality direction they wished. The traits were merely a starting point for random NPCs. Unfortunately, authors seemed to have taken these example traits at face value, and thus we have an entire species acting like one bonehead individual.

In EU source materials, there had been some leeway with species diversity, though it could still use some polishing. For example, not every single Gand acts like Zuckuss. In fact, Zuckuss, our sole movie representative of the species as a whole, is the outcast. My brother found this to be a refreshing change of pace, as he expected—due to past reading experience—for all Gands to act like Zuckuss, or for Zuckuss to be regarded as some legendary figure. Well, he's not. Most Gands think him insane and he ended up in a psychiatric hospital.

No, our token Gand is Ooryl Qrygg. He even says so.

RC-1991 and MiraxTerrik like this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Trak, I think it's awfully presumptuous of you to use a personal pronoun to describe yourself.

Big Fat'Lya, Gamiel, Zeta1127 and 2 others like this.
  14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Trak is aware of that and Trak apologizes. But seeing as how Trak's name is displayed beside the message, in word balloon style, and how everyone else is using pronouns, then Trak just wanted to fit in. :(

Big Fat'Lya likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    If you were truly contrite you'd refer to yourself as Nar. I see through your tricks.

CooperTFN likes this.
  16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    But... but... user has at least some recognition...

Ris_jSarek likes this.
  17. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Corellian Irishmen? Warning, contains Irish and Star Trek actors.

Mandalorians are celtic mongol cubist gothic italian renaissance farmers. And sometimes all at once.

All nemoidians are businessmen, Hutts are gangsters, Trandoshans are slavers. They're like Star Trek Aliens being only a few exaggerations short of regular humans.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I've never heard of a Mandalorian painter...

(now there's a racist-sounding comment!)

19. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    It is a well known fact that Pablo Picasso took up painting after many years as a gun for hire.

20. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Y'know, all Hutts being gangsters doesn't make alot of sense in hindsight if you're just going by the movies. Jabba being called "the Hutt" says to me that a Hutt in his position is kinda unusual, it wouldn't need to be specified otherwise. You're not going to see someone in the Russian Mafia named Vladimir the Slav.

So it's not like the species stereotyping has alot of film precedent and it's a fundamental of Star Wars. It's just some other writers being lazy/uncreative and it going on so long that people accept it. What about the fat four armed guy in AOTC? Does his people consist entirely of greasy diner owners?

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Besalisks are all "thirsting for adventure," they tend to be "loose-lipped and gossipy," and they're "unreliable," as they have a tendency to "walk out of jobs and never return." Oh, and "due to them being so chatty," they are "known throughout the galaxy" as a species "with the most bounties on their heads."

Take from that what you will.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Bet the clone troopers really wish Krell walked out on his job and never returned.

Big Fat'Lya and TrakNar like this.
  23. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Oy vey

They gonna add tendency towards psychosis and war crimes to the list?

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Give them time. It is bound to happen.

25. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I think one of my biggest pet peeves is the NJO's species. There are around 5 bothans at anytime in the Order, rather than using Kolir, a young female bothan Jedi, they create Yaqeel, a young female Jedi. Really? Anytime we do get some diversity, a falleen or a ramoan, they die. Then there are like 1000 barabels in the NJO. So on top of that the authors seem to refuse any species from the PT. Any cereans? Kind in Crosscurret. ANy Nautolans? No! Any Lannick? No! Any Togruta? No! Any Mirialans? No! Getting my picture. I loved the EU escpecially the Post ROTJ stuff but they need to bring in the new species.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.