main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG Spoiler Discussion Thread - Episode 3, Revenge Of The Sith

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by xeno_kenobi, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rayten

Rayten Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2004
    First time, I saw it, my eyes were watery. Second time, a bit watery. Third time, I cried a little.

2. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    My eyes went watery too, but I if the movie has the same effect on casual movie-goers who are watching it only because it is a 'must-watch' movie.

3. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    Anakin's turn seemed too sudden! I was also a little irked by how much stress Palpy placed on "saving Padme". I mean, sure, that's ONE of the reasons Anakin embraces the dark side, but it's clear from some of his lines ("I'm not the Jedi I should be; I want more!" and "some day, I'm going to be the most powerful Jedi ever" in AOTC, also his plea for Padme to join him and rule the galaxy at the end of the film) that he desires more power than the light side can offer. Another reason for his turn that was his disillusionment of the Jedi at large. Those elements were certainly touched upon but I felt they should have been played up much more, especially by Palpatine.

correction, IMO, i think Lucas did a great job putting padme as a main factor. Thats why ep II was sort of a love story. If palpy didnt use padme as a reason to save him (from windu) he wudnt have helped in the demise of the old republic. He did it all for his first love. Episode II enforces this idea that anakin wud do ANYTHING and i mean ANYTHING for her. he loved her...too much. however its the same love for his son that redeemed himself in ROTJ. Great theme IMO.

And yes, ep III gets sader if u watch it more and more. So paiseh sia, i was sitting next to DE's brothers friend and i was cryig like a baby. aiyoh. didnt even notice my leather tabbards were freaking wet.

4. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Haha, maybe it's sweat and not tears? Funny, I didn't cry (in the real sense) for any of the screenings..

5. DarthCrovus

DarthCrovus Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2005
    "You were the chosen one"

That bit always gets me. Hell even when I hear the trailer on radio I can't help myself man.

6. padawan_princess

padawan_princess Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    Yup, that scene was really powerful. It showed how Anakin and Obi-Wan, who were as close as brothers, facing each other--one with great sorrow and one with great hate. Even the dialogue was good (Hear that, critics??) My eyes go watery too, especially during Obi-Wan's lines when he says ("You were supposed to bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness" or something like that). And poor Anakin getting consumed by the flames...

By the way, Darth_eagle, I found the midwife droid a bit irritating too, it kinda 'spoiled the moment'.

7. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    I thought the droid was okay..what's wrong with it? And why call it a midwife droid?

:confused:

8. padawan_princess

Apr 28, 2005
    I thought that's what the visual dictionary called it...(okay now I'm very confused). I thought it was a bit distracting because of the weird sound(s) it made and because people watching the movie laughed when he/she/it said his/her/its lines.
    :D

9. DarthCrovus

Apr 3, 2005
    actually there were a few moments int he movie that sort of made ppl laugh at the wrong time.

Yoda Force Pushing the Royal Guards for one. Man! That was not supposed to be a funny moment! But even I can't help grinning at time.

Strangely enough, a lot of them featured Yoda in them. HMmmmmMMm

10. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Because everyone loves Yoda! When Sidious was calling him "My little green friend", everyone was laughing.

11. wmgan

wmgan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2004
    Just before (or was it just after?) Anakin pledged his loyalty to Sidious, there was a reaction shot of Yoda looking really sad. Could he sense that Anakin had turned to the dark side? Is that how he knew, even without seeing the security hologram at the Jedi temple, that Anakin was responsible for the carnage?

Inside the Jedi temple, Obi-Wan says "send me to destroy the Emperor". How did he know that Palpatine had declared himself "Emperor"? Even if it were broadcasted on the Holonet or whatever, Obi-Wan and Yoda were inside the Jedi temple the whole time.

Yoda then says that Obi-Wan is not strong enough to defeat "this Darth Sidious". How did he know that Palpatine = Darth Sidious? Did Mace inform the council before going to arrest Palpatine? In that case, why didn't the council take any action when Mace didn't return?

12. Winbros

Winbros Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002
    Hi all

Its been awhile, was great catching up with some familiar faces on Mon & Sat night.

I loved the movie, great closure to the series. Sure people'll quibble about this and that, but to me, the fact was the OT was made 1st, followed by PT, IMO GL had to work within constraints of OT material already embraced by the fans.

Loved the opening battle, probably the strongest of the 6. Loved the fight scenes, only complaint is some were too short. Loved the Palpatine scenes, truly devious and evil, his knowing smirks (Dooku's death, opera, appointing Anakin as personal rep, etc.). Loved the intro of familiar chars despite cameo roles, Chewie & C3PO.

What more can be said, only that I'm aiming to catch my 3rd screening this Sat night (I know, I know, some of you have seen it 3 or 4 or 5 times already).

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU, ALWAYS....

13. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    The more I think about it, ROTS' opening sequence is my most favourite of all the 6 episodes, just beating ANH's by a little. I think the new young generation of fans will remember that as the one which changed their lives and converted them into Star Wars fans!

:)

14. Fingolfin_Noldor

Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2004
    Oh, the Venators are real beauties, even compared to the ISDs. I would rather have a Venator, than a car.

Any way, the dialog between Padme and Anakin was kind of... slow moving.. and nothing fanciful.. typical GL ineptness in dialog.

And the movie was simply too fast for my opinion.

It was probably ripped out of the movie.. but, it was stated somewhere in the novel that the council were discussing the possiblities that Palpatine was the Sith Lord.. because of a number of reasons. I can't really remember. But I remember that Yoda agreed that Mace should take the best Jedi Masters available for the job.

And... well, Order 66 was carried out almost immediately after Mace was killed, and Anakin stormed the temple with a brigade of clones.. it was too fast for anyone to react.

Yoda felt it across space.. the deaths of the all the Jedi..

15. DarthCrovus

Apr 3, 2005
    hmm reguarding the Yoda 'sensing' it part. Here's my thoughts.

I felt a tremor in the the Force.

1. Anakin turning to the dark side. We must remember Anakin is the one with a midi-chlorine (ok wrong spelling) count higher than even Master Yoda. One would take that as been really really powerful. (DUR!) so when one as powerful as that in the Force turns to the Dark Side, there will be no doubts 'tremors' in the Force. Hence, Yoda sensing it.

2. Order 66. We must once again understand that a huge number of Jedis were killed in a short span of time. Again tremors bound. Let's not forget in Epi 4 with Alderran was destroy, Obi Wan feel a tremor and it actually looked like it almost physically 'hurt' him on the Falcon. That was thousands of people being killed. Now take that and imagine, thousands of Force-adept Jedis. You can almost imagine how much more that would hurt, hence Yoda dropping his stick and sort of knew what was going on. And thus knowing his own life was in danger.

Hope I've made some sense. Sorry about the spelling. Really brain dead after an entire day of rushing out datelines. =(

Cheerios
    Sad Stressed Jedi

16. Fingolfin_Noldor

Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2004
    The Deaths of many Jedi nearly all at once will surely create huge resonances in the Force, pretty much like the battle at Malachor V in KOTOR and other huge disturbances in the Force.

Also, the sudden huge rise in Dark Side power, courtesy of Palpatine probably sent shockwaves.

17. darshaassant

darshaassant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    The battle scene rocked... like one of those simulators... like you were flying with them. Didn't cry cos I was bragging to my friends all the time about my knowledge of star wars by saying the lines before they were said.... :p Almost did till everyone laughed at the Yoda/Red Guard part.

And... there is not supposed to be any sound in space... :p Unless they were in the part where there is still some atmosphere.... And the skyview of Coruscant is FANTASTIC!

18. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    Just before (or was it just after?) Anakin pledged his loyalty to Sidious, there was a reaction shot of Yoda looking really sad. Could he sense that Anakin had turned to the dark side? Is that how he knew, even without seeing the security hologram at the Jedi temple, that Anakin was responsible for the carnage?

Inside the Jedi temple, Obi-Wan says "send me to destroy the Emperor". How did he know that Palpatine had declared himself "Emperor"? Even if it were broadcasted on the Holonet or whatever, Obi-Wan and Yoda were inside the Jedi temple the whole time.

Yoda then says that Obi-Wan is not strong enough to defeat "this Darth Sidious". How did he know that Palpatine = Darth Sidious? Did Mace inform the council before going to arrest Palpatine? In that case, why didn't the council take any action when Mace didn't return?

u really sound like a skeptic, a path to star wars BLASPHEMY that is.
    in ep II yoda sensed anakin's suffering with his mother and the sand ppl massacre. Of cuz in ep3 he wud have sensed it more. Crovus is 100percent on target with his theory. i second him.

it wud be kinda obvious to yoda and obi that palpatine's next move wud be to declare himself emperor. come on, he ordered all the Jedi killed, and he had all the senators together for a SPECIAL session. u think he's gonna explain abt the Jedi "rebellion' and shut up there? coz not, he'll take this opportunity to crown himself the number one person in the galaxy, ESPECIALLY without the precense of the Jedi. therefore let me repeat my point, the 2 jedi wud have figured this out when the special session was being called. ( the scene where that mas amedda guy was talking to bail)

abt the darth sidious bit, my best bet is that yoda sensed it. anyways, he's been suspecting palpy all this while anyways, just look at his reaction to palpy ever since ep 2.

Did Mace inform the council before going to arrest Palpatine? In that case, why didn't the council take any action when Mace didn't return?

y didnt the council take action?? cos right after mace died, ani stormed the freaking Jedi temple and anyways, most of the council members were far apart on distant worlds...GETTING KILLED.

19. wmgan

Sep 27, 2004
    A skeptic? Why would you say that?

Yes, I know that Yoda could sense the deaths of all the Jedi, just as Obi-Wan sensed the deaths of the people on Alderaan when it was blown apart. But could he actually sense that Anakin turned to the dark side? Surely there must be a limit to what he can sense. Otherwise, he should have known right from the beginning that Palpatine was a Sith Lord!

20. padawan_princess

Apr 28, 2005
    Okay, I know this may sound stupid and trivial, but anyone who the answer, please enlighten this padawan.

Where does Darth Sidious get his lightsaber from during the duel with Yoda? I thought Mace Windu had kicked it out of the building in the earlier scene. So does he retrieve it or does he have a huge suitcase full of spare red-bladed lightsabers in his Senate Office?

If I missed something please tell me...I am quite confused. Thanks

21. DarthCrovus

Apr 3, 2005
    Hahahaha good spot on that one. I didn't even realised it and I've watched it (after today) 8 times. =p

Honestly, I loved the move and all, but the film student in me can't help but notice quite a few continuity errors all throughout the movie. (My lecturer would be so proud. =p) Typical of Lucas I guess.

22. xeno_kenobi

xeno_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 4, 2002
    I believe Sidious retrieved his Lightsaber ( no pun intended, hur hur hur ) with the force as it didn't fall out TOO far out to the main land of Corruscant.

23. Faiz

Faiz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    hm, well i agree on the anakin's fall was too fast. they crammed too much in such a short time. the opening battle was nice, but too short. i expected something grand, coz GL said it'll be better than battle of endor, which it wasnt. i was annoyed with the saving padme thingy.

coz recently as i watched the old trilogy, the fact that nothing was mentioned about padme, or luke's mum. made me feel like suddenly epi1-3 had very little in common with epi4-6 other than obi wan, yoda, palpy, vader and chewie. thats it.

24. darshaassant

darshaassant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    Why can't they make the movie longer????

25. wmgan

Sep 27, 2004
    Well, it's also possible that he kept a spare lightsaber...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.