main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit STAR TOURS canon, retcons official Blog entry!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    You know, it is amazing how many times I have seen some variation of that story.

Well, ok, only three times, but still.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You realize that the latest explanation for Echo Base's name completely decouples it from Gamma Base?

Also: NOT HOTH. :p

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Even better! ;)

But if Lucas wants a scouting battle on Hoth pre-ANH, well, Gamma Base works well- and would make the RA box reference to Hoth work too.

Maybe it'd also explain the second ion cannon in Rebel Strike as well.

4. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    I will not accept earth existing in the star wars universe!

5. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    If there was no Earth, there is no 'The Maker', then there is no Star Wars :)

6. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    George lucas doesn't exist in the star wars universe in canon though. Note i said he doesn't exist in it, the character he plays in episode 3 does.

7. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
  8. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Nope, none of them are Lucas.

Let's not forget the very, very canon time and distance of the Star Wars universe in relation to our own...
    I wouldn't worry about it. It's as meaningful as the appearance of "Trantor". It's an easter egg - see the above comment.

Never played it. Was it on Hoth or another planet? If it's the latter, we know the Alliance bought a handful of them.

9. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I maintain George Lucas in real life is Baron Palpanoida in hiding from the Republic.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Has he been going to the Michael Jackson skin clinic then?

11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Holographic projector. He was pretty bad off when he first came and made his movies, looked positively starved.

BigAl6ft6 and Starkeiller like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Don't make me cite the E.T. connection ;)

You assume the entity relaying that information is doing so from Earth in the present. Typical human arrogance, it's always about you, isn't it? [face_talk_hand]

Slight correction: I meant Rogue Leader (though the mission is available in a co-op mode on Rebel Strike as well).

During the Battle of Hoth, there's a tower ion cannon in the midst of the battlefield, whilst the actual ion cannon in the films is grounded and is found "on the other side" of the mountains over the base in the complementing levels of the other games.

13. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    No different than humans being in the Star Wars galaxy... ;)

I think you've now driven me insane. [face_laugh]

That's a bit more difficult, but precedent can be made with the other games - elements are not necessarily what happened.

14. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    A very easy retcon for that guy would of course be to make him the CEO of Sacul Industries Group. And maybe he's got a brother who became a Rebel pilot. :)

15. JMM

Jul 9, 1998

To be technical about it, our Earth shouldn't exist in the Star Wars GALAXY, but it does exist in the same universe. After all, there needs to be some place for the Star Wars galaxy to be far, far away from.

16. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    And a long time ago. After all, we have to observe Einstein's rule ...

17. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    "A long time ago" can easily be worked around. It's all relative. If I were forty minutes late for a movie, and I asked someone "Did the movie start?" they'd be like "Yeah, a long time ago."

ERGO STAR WARS HAPPENED FORTY MINUTES AGO

Valin__Kenobi and jSarek like this.
  18. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    From a certain point of view... literally.

19. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Not necessarily. It is in fact likely that the Star Wars galaxy actually exists in a parallel universe.* There are several models for the existence of parallel universes, and in the simplest one (which Max Tegmark calls the "Level I Parallel Universes Model"), universes exist in infinite space, separated by their cosmological horizons, so that they are not parallel, but distant in relation to each other. This theory necessitates (since space is infinite) the existence of humans in such universes, and the existence of universes identical to this one.

*Of course, that universe makes no distinctions between levels of canon, so that the "EU" is as real as the "movies". I presume there are other universes more accommodating to movie purists.

20. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    Star Wars could certainly be in a parallel universe, but we are in this universe when reading the "far, far away." That phrase technically refers to distance, and I'm not sure that distance can really apply between two parallel universes, unless you see the phrase "far, far away" as metaphorical.

( I don't really think Star Wars is real. Just to clarify. :) )

Also, it has to be the same universe as ours because a number of characters in A New Hope have very obvious 1970s hair.

21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Do the 1970s count as "a long time ago" now?

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  22. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    According to that theory, all "parallel" universes are far, far away, literally. Distance does indeed apply between all parallel universes, which share the same infinite space. And since the theory rests on space being infinite, it follows that there are certain distances from the edge of our cosmological horizon at which universes must exist containing galaxies with a very strong resemblance to the Star Wars galaxy. That would also be true for other human fantasies.

23. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    meh i'm ok with this.

24. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    I'll take disinterested acceptance any day! :)

25. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.