main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Trek: The Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Zoom_Cthooga, Mar 3, 2008.

1. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    Star Trek has made...$234,014,827 Worldwide.

2. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    The only one of the summer blockbusters so far that I have thoroughly enjoyed.

3. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I saw the movie for the third time yesterday, and continue to thoroughly enjoy it. I had wanted to see it on IMAX, but the only real IMAX screens out here playing it were 40 and 60min drives away. The last Sunday it was there, we drove to the closer one... only to find out it was completely sold out. Let that be a lesson: when driving 40mins to see a movie, buy tickets online first, no matter if the movie has been out for over a week and it's a Sunday evening. :oops:

I'm definitely catching more little bits of the movie with repeated viewings that I didn't catch the first time through. Little lines of dialog I didn't catch the first time, connections and such. First time through, I didn't catch the Admiral Archer reference, for example. It's also just fun to look forward to favorite parts.

I had to go to 5 stores before I finally found the soundtrack yesterday. Sheesh. Well, I should have started at places with better selections I guess. I also looked for the novel, but once I found it and thumbed through it I decided I didn't like it as much as the movie.

There is definitely talk of sequels. I've read a couple of really good interviews that mention it. It's also interesting to get small bits of extra lore from the people who made the movie, such as the fact that the reason the shipyards were on the ground in Riverside, Iowa was to commemorate George Kirk's sacrifice on the Kelvin. I also saw them address the question of whether this is a parallel timeline or new one wiping out the old. Originally it didn't occur to me that it might not be parallel - I've seen enough sci-fi showing the parallel timeline theory, Star Trek included, that I simply assumed that is what happened here. But then a friend of mine said she was fairly sure it was meant to wipe out the original timeline, as in it didn't happen at all anymore in any reality. I later found an Q&A session with one of the movie guys (forget which bigwig it was) where a fan was going after the same issue. My impression of the response was that they had meant it to be parallel - that the original timeline still goes forward in the original reality, and this was a new, separate timeline created - but that they were also fine if some fans wanted to think of it as a replacement.

Oh, and one gripe - why are the costume companies releasing the guys' costumes immediately, but the womens' costumes not until next fall??? :mad: That is so totally not fair. Some people out here are putting together a group for SDCC, and I wanted to participate, but I cannot find the Uhura red dress available anywhere before Aug/Sept timeframe. Given the unusual fabric, everyone is buying the costumes rather than making them. I looked around at 2-3 fabric stores this weekend, and sure enough, couldn't find anything even close, no surprise. Grrr.

4. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    [image=http://roflrazzi.wordpress.com/files/2009/06/celebrity-pictures-leonard-nimoy-watch-episode.jpg]

5. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    [image=http://roflrazzi.wordpress.com/files/2009/04/celebrity-pictures-patrick-stewart-trek-musical.jpg]

6. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Looks like Trek is heading back to the IMAX...I am thinking I might want to go again.

7. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Yay!!!! [face_dancing] Thanks for the heads up on that. I was soooo bummed to miss this on IMAX the first time around. Definitely learned my lesson: buy your tickets online before driving 45mins to the IMAX theater!

Nooo! :_| According to the list so far, there are no true IMAX screens showing it in my area this time. They are all LIEMAX screens. [face_shame_on_you]

Now I am depressed. :_|

8. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I am sad too it isn't playing here either!

I understand about the LIEMAX. We only have one REAL IMAX at the Colorado Center. :)

9. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Looks like there might be some quality costumes???

10. corran_r9

corran_r9 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 3, 2009
    those look pretty cool, and high quality, and spendy. When I went to the Star Trek convention in Vegas in 08 , I saw some great costumes. A guy had one made by this company. I have the info somewhere, I can look for it if you like. I also have a bunch of pictures from the convention to if anyone is interested, pm and i'll give you the info to see them

11. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    THIS JUST IN Per Zachery Quinto's tweet!

the flag has been planted. june 29th, 2012. sequel. trek it out.

HURRAY!!!!

12. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Yay! I rad about this on scifiwire over the weekend. But it means we have to wait 2.5yrs!

The movie is playing on real IMAX at my local Tech museum. I'm excited to finally get to see it!

13. gundarkhunter

gundarkhunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2008
    Sweet! One last Trek flick before the apocalypse[face_mischief] . Since they'll have turned out two good ones in a row, it must mean the end is near or we will be in for some baaaaad Trek for years to come [face_skull]

14. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    *bump*

I bought a Star Trek movie the other day (the newest one). I think these actors are going to cause me to become a fan. [face_blush]

15. -Gundark-

-Gundark- Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 1, 2010
    Fresh from the rumor mill:

Abrams Star Trek 2 villain will likely be one of the following (Quoted from The Escapist):

Harry Mudd - A flamboyant space mountebank who appeared in two different episodes, the first of which has Mudd making women beautiful with an illegal substance called the "Venus Pill."

Gary Mitchell - In the second pilot of TOS, Mitchell was the helmsmen of the Enterprise and a friend of Kirk's who was struck by an energy field outside of the galaxy and received god-like powers.

Talosians - The bad guys in the first pilot, Captain Pike is imprisoned by these big-headed aliens who can implant illusions within the minds of humans. Definitely dudes you wouldn't want as your jailors.

Horta - A weird lifeform that is killing miners on Janos IV. In all honesty, this one seems like a longshot.

16. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Ehhh... I have to confess, I can't really see most of those; at least not unless they make some large changes to the characters. They need a real villain who poses a real threat, IMO.

Harry Mudd - admittedly I haven't seen these in a long time, so maybe my impression is based on faulty memory. But my initial reaction is: interesting for an episode or two, but not serious enough for a movie.

Gary Mitchell - this one I could maybe see. I wouldn't have expected it to be chosen, but maybe there is potential.

Talosians - I don't remember much about these guys, so hard to say. Were they really bad guys though? Wasn't there something about Pike going back there to live after he was paralyzed?

Horta - I didn't think the Horta was a bad guy...??

17. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    T I agree Mudd was more of a bumbling idiot. IMO, i need to look up Gary Mitchell. The Talosians were the first aliens that did kidnap Pike in the pilot episode and later in the episode where spock was on trial for trying to get Pike back to them so he could live a happy life with the blond chick. So not sure, but we will see.

I mean after the first movie i will trust JJ Abrams...so we will see!

18. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    I heard it was going to be these fine folks:

[image=http://www.toplessrobot.com/gorn_05.jpg]

19. -Gundark-

-Gundark- Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 1, 2010
    Maybe both! I could see JJ doing that. I watched "Where No Man Has Gone Before" this morning and it has a sort-of Abrams feel to it, both in directing and writing, but I don't doubt that he'll use a more widely known villain like the Gorn. If he does though, then perhaps the rumor that one of the above will be a villain might still be true, but in a more minor capacity which makes Mudd or even the Horta more likely candidates after all.

20. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002

[face_laugh]

i was looking myself and ran across this...here he is with his fine corinthian leather.

[image=http://www.overthinkingit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/khan_noonien_singh-273x300.jpg]