main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Art: Illustration

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 22, 2012.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  2. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I hope so. I was rather disappointed that the Star Wars Art: Comics was just repackaged panels and covers from released comics. I want to see more original art, or concept illustration like Visions gave us.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm hoping this'll have a good selection of artwork either from reference material or art prints.

However, what we really need is The Art of Chris Trevas with all his stuff arranged in chronological order. Though at the rate he's kicking ass, we probably need to wait a few more years to make it thorough enough.

4. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    I was thinking more along the lines of illustration-artworks for licensed items (toy-boxes and stuff)...

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    A collection of RPG sourcebook artwork would be nice. I've always liked the artwork in those books, but buying books for a handful of images was just not financially practical.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I liked the first two books. I'll probably end up getting this (depending on the contents).

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm hoping it's all the original illustrations for GODV.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Official summary from Amazon:

The instant and massive success of Star Wars took Lucasfilm by surprise, but in 1978, an industry unto itself was born, consisting of books, trading cards, magazines, video games, and merchandise. The art created for these projects continues to expand the limits and celebrate the iconography of the Star Wars galaxy.

Now the third book in the Star Wars Art series, Illustration, collects the best of these artworks, as curated by George Lucas. Featuring previously unpublished, rarely seen, and fan-favorite art from Mark Chiarello, Dave Dorman, Hugh Fleming, Tim and Greg Hildebrandt, Ralph McQuarrie, Jon J. Muth, Tsuneo Sanda, Drew Struzan, Jerry Vanderstelt, Christian Waggoner, and many others, Star Wars Art: Illustration explores the wide range of styles that illustrators have brought to bear on a galaxy far, far away . . .

Release date if October 1, 2012.

What I'm happy about- RALPH MCQUARRIE!!!!!!

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So, posters, book covers, and toy packaging, basically?

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Now the third book in the Star Wars Art series, Illustration, collects the best of these artworks, as curated by George Lucas's intern.

Fixed.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  11. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    d'oh... illustration for me is something different from cover art and this stuff... cover arts and all need their own ART book. comics had from panel to panel 1 and 2 from darkhorse already f.e.

I hoped for lots of illustrators for guidebooks, rpg stuff and all that here.

toy packaging and such stuff needn't even be featured if you ask me. only few pieces are truly art and unique, the rest is photos photoshopped.terese nielsen miniature art was great, as are some action figure cardbacks for f.e. Jaina Solo with photorealistic face art. but most figures are movie stuff with photos anyway.

so will this book have lots of new art or just collect already existing one as the blurp claims? if so it'd be different from the previous installments that had artists do original works based on the topic? weird

12. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Hmm. Looks interesting. Wouldn't mind seeing some character art/designs that we haven't seen yet.

13. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm all for concept art, even if it's to bulk out behind-the-scenes sections for character and species articles on the Wook. Once this book is released, I'll need to page through it before I buy it. See if it's worth my money.

14. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd argue any book with pretty pictures is worth it. Especially if it's SW. I love all the old Al Williamson prints in SW Art: Comics.

TrakNar likes this.
  15. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    I'd like to see a Tales of the Jedi art book.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a note that if you're in the UK Amazon UK has this available to ship. (It had Oct 1 as the release date). Five copies left after I ordered mine..

17. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Already got it satuday and here is my review:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Star-Wars-Sourcebooks/178191488897633?ref=hl

Short Review: Star Wars ART: Illustration

As big as Art Comics instead of Visions, Illustration highlights a lot of already known art throughout the entirety of Star Wars products. Though most pieces in there are moviecentered, some EU art found a place too, but the majority definitely is intended to be visually movie-related art so no EU knowledge is needed for this book to appreciate. Many piec
    es of the Topps Galaxy series of cards can be appreciated in high resolution as full page artwork now and like with previous Art books, further detail magnifications let one marvel at the sheer detail and style of the artists. Also novel cover art, as well as young reader art is featured. Wizards of the Coast art as well as sourcebook art. But keep in mind that you should not look for rare new depictions of your favourite obscure EU scenes in here. That the Essential Readers Companion will do. Also some packaging art for Miniature figures by Terese Nielsen is impressive as always and there is more to marvel at from limited edition prints and exclusives that were not featured on books so far. All in all, this book is a treasure of Art but I honestly have to admit, since most art is known to an art collector like me, I expected a bit more new art by illustration artists. But that is mostly due to me loving the EU and knowing most art already long before the book is released. So don't be fooled here, for most fans this book will be a surprise of never before seen art that highlights their favourite characters, from the Big Three, Padmé, Clones, Boba Fett, and more over even Tsuneo Sandas depictions of the lesser known movie characters from the background.
    I especially love the former Celebration Europe 1 print featured as double page by Dave Dorman showing Stormtroopers halfmasked as Tusken Raiders near the shot down Sandcrawler. Impressive depiction of a missing scene from ANH there, but that is not the only Dorman Art to love in this book! Another old Topps Galaxy card highlight by Hector Gomez is an illustration for Courtship of Princess Leia with Isolder, Luke, Teneniel and Co riding rancors, finally in high resolution! Another Topps highlight is the awesome art of Grand Moff Tarkin by Jerry Vanderstelt. Costumers would certainly prefer the Jason Palmer double page of all of Padmés movie costumes as seen in the Costumes Guidebook or the great Terese Nielson Wizards of the Coast Miniature package art showing pinup versions of Leia, Padmé and more.
    And of course Fleetjunkies and Shiplovers get their good share of space battles and ship art too! Tsuneo Sanda's Millennium Falcon in front of the second Death Star chased by a Tie Fighter and a Tie-Advanced much like Vaders.
    Shadows of the Empire cardset art by Tim and Greg Hildebrandt, a classic showing Vader kneel before the Emperor over a viewport showing Coruscants cityscape.
    Diversity lovers might take a look at Mace Windu depicted by Terese Nielson in fighting pose!
    Katarn fans will find some art from the Katarn novels in here too and Clone lovers should not miss Clark Mitchell's art for the The Force Unleashed figure packaging art with Clone Troopers on Mustafar. Also the clean novel covers for Lando novels rock. Good shots of obscure elements by William Schmidt featuring for example the AT-ST heads turned Tie-Fighter.
    And a good share of Slave Leias for all the fanboys and fangirls who like the golden Metal Bikini can't be missed!
    Another impressive and thoughtprovoking picture is 2-1B holding a small glass with a severed Hand, probably that of Luke Skywalker, comparing it to his own robotic one by Jon J. Muth.
    Then there is the lot of other art from novel covers (X-Wing, Black Fleet Crisis, etc.) as well as classics like Ralph McQuarrie (especially awesome full color X-Wing over Death Star surface shot from 1987 for a computer game packaging) and lots more. Epic battles by Paul Youll, Dave Seeley and more than I can list here now.

Buy it.. NOW! ;)

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Glad to see there's some of Sanda's work. I love his art. He was at CE but I couldn't really afford anything of his.

19. Eternal_Hero

Eternal_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2012
    I'd pass out for joy.

20. CaptainEvan92

CaptainEvan92 Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2012
    Sounds cool, I may look into it when it comes out. I looked at Visions but, sadly, never bought and I haven't even fully looked at Comics yet.

And I agree with DuracellEnergizer about that Tales of the Jedi art book along with a Knights of the Old Republic art book.

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Email from Amazon UK - my copy is on the way. Hopefully I'll get it Thurs or Fri.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Delivery man brought my copy today. Looks pretty good after just a brief flip-through. (And don't forget to look under the cover for pencil art on the front and back of the book.)

Got a chuckle out of pages 102-103, especially the bit with Yoda. I hadn't seen that pic before.

23. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So, is this a collection of pre-existing art, a bunch of new illustrations, or both?

24. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
  25. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    This is an edited version of a post I made on another board:

Really enjoyed Star Wars Art: Illustration (the regular edition)! Though I was familiar with most of the artwork, it was nice to see it all in one place, and it was great having many of the drawings be larger & on better quality paper than they were originally. Plus, there were quite a few drawings I had never seen before, or hadn't seen in many years.

Some (but not nearly all) favorites included:

- Splinter of the Mind's Eye book cover by Ralph McQuarrie (1978), frontspiece: Wow, what an iconic, fantastic piece of art, and is probably the first SW EU artwork ever. I've liked this piece ever since I first read the book years ago, and it may be my favorite SW EU book cover ever.

-Tusken Raiders of Tattoine, SW Galaxy set (Page 23): Fantastic drawing - I remember getting this card back in the day & it being one of my favorite pieces from the set. Love the little details, i.e. the Raider holding the battered Stormtrooper helmet & the red goggles - very nice.

- Darth Talon (Page 124): Wow, amazing piece of moody artwork. Great colors.

- X-wings over the Death Star, by Ralph McQuarrie (1987): Excellent, and this is probably the first time I've ever seen this.

- ANH Poster art concept (1977) - very trippy & strange, and while you can tell this is from SW, it doesn't seem like the artist had a lot of source material from the film. Especially enjoyed the unusual spaceships (not from the film) on the top of the drawing.

- Book covers from the great early EU novels LC & the Flamewind of Oseon and LC and the Starcave of Thonboka - amazing artwork, and it was nice to see the full page drawings here, instead of the truncated ones we got on the actual covers themselves.

All in all, this was an amazing book.

My only complaints with this volume are: they needed to include the book covers from: LC & the Mindharp of Sharu (would have made perfect sense since the other two covers were featured), as well as the book covers from Brian Daley's Han Solo novels - IMHO, those were as iconic as any of the other artwork in the book.