main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi (New series by Ostrander and Duursema)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by max-attac, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max-attac

max-attac Jedi Knight star 1

May 23, 2009
  2. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    *head melts with the amount of awesome contained therein*

this is absolutely genious! i'm most excited to see the design of everything in this new (or is it old?:p) era!!

3. max-attac

max-attac Jedi Knight star 1

May 23, 2009
    For those who don't want to read the article, some important information:

Era: It starts with the gathering of the Force sensitive sentients on Tython in 36,453 BBY. We move quickly as the rest of the Tython system is colonized and the series really gets going with events just prior to the Force Wars, which began in 25,793 BBY.

Characters: At the center of it all are three young Je'daii Jouneyers. Shae Koda is a Dathomiri female; both of her parents were killed before our story opens in an event called The Despot War. Shae is young, brave, restless, rash, and a bit reckless. With an incessant curiosity about everything, she does not accept things on blind faith and is not afraid to ask questions, even about things that are considered accepted.

Sek'nos Rath is a young Sith male. Born to Je'daii parents who travel the system as diplomats, he was raised by his maternal grandmother and paternal grandfather, both Je'daii Masters. He likes to push the envelope and yearns for adventure. He?s rowdy and bold and fun loving -- a friend to all. He also loves weaponry and females of all types. Sek'nos is charming but also driven; so many Je'daii have done great things. Sek'nos also wants to do great things.

Tasha Ryo is a female Twi'lek whose non-Je'daii father is Baron Volnos Ryo, a clan lord on the planet Shikaakwa, and her mother, Kora Ryo, is the master of Kaleth, the Je'daii Temple of Knowledge. Very calm and empathic, Tasha looks before she leaps and tries to understand the possible repercussions of what she does. Tasha prefers not to use weapons, employing "empty hand" techniques that uses the Force itself as weapon and shield. She's also often torn between duties to her mother and the Je'daii and to her father and their clan.

At the very center of this all, however, is Xesh -- a mysterious and powerful being called a Force Hound, whose arrival on Tython really sets the entire series in motion and powers the events that will drive the series. This will be his story, but telling too much about him now would reveal too much. I want the reader to encounter Xesh in the context of the story.

And there will be lots of other characters to encounter in the story, like Twi'lek Ranger Hawk Ryo, Ketu, Master of Akar Kesh, Rakatan Predor Skal'nas, Trill, and Je'daii Daegen Lok, just for starters.

4. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    "Characters who are visually striking", as in: females with bare belly and full lips? :p

After Legacy, I didn't think I'd be interested in the new Ostrander/Duursema project, but this sounds enough like a totally different fantasy comic that I'll give it a try. They know how to bait with shiny toys, don't they...

5. Sock2008

Sock2008 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 15, 2008
    Her clothes are basically from Padmé's wardrobe... ;)

6. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I've been wondering if the higher ups at LFL and DR would ever consider the idea of creating a novel or a trilogy detailing the creation of the Jedi. I had thought that when I bought the Tales of the Jedi comics, starring Ulic Qel-Droma and Nomi Sunrider, that I would be seeing just that. I was disappointed that my expectations weren't met, but I'm not complaining about the results.

While I wasn't expecting a new comic series, my reaction is: FREEAAKN' SWEEEET!!!!

Don't mean to be picky, but here's hoping that continuity is observed.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    :eek:

Shut. Up.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That interview has a lot of great stuff. This is definitely going to be an epic series. I like how the name of the precursors of the Jedi, "Je'daii", is strikingly similar to the Yuuzhan Vong pronunciation of the word. A little call-forward to Legacy/NJO, perhaps?

And those covers look great, just as I'd imagine this era to look like.

9. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
  10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I was wondering why how people got to Tython before hyperdrives, I am glad the authors thought of that too. Very familiar symbol on those ships....that has some interesting implications.

They say this is before lightsabers, but that one guy clearly has one...hmmmm....

I like the je'daii's basic set up...reminds me of how many people thought the jedi worked before the PT made them centralized.

I thought the Rataka had already fallen by this point, but I am more excited to see them used, so i guess I don't care too much.

I am a bit concerned about one of the characters being a Dathomiri though. Those are supposed to be human/zabrak hybrids...and neither species should have colonized that planet yet. Matter of fact, the Kwa might still own it.

I do like that the main cast is largely or entirely non-human (depending on how you count Dathomiri), especially since we have only seen humans in the timeframe before.

I hope the various temples have different philosophies to explore.

11. BuddhaRich

BuddhaRich Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2009
    Sek'nos Rath is a young Sith male. What are the implications of having a Sith/Jedi character in this era? By the time of the Force Wars, Adas had already reigned as King of Korriban and died 2000 years earlier- could we see some previously unknown Sith backstory here?

12. Websinger2

Websinger2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2010
    :eek:

[face_dancing]

Awesomegasm. Love it already!

13. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    =P~

The Epicness of this will be Epic.

14. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    It sounds like Tython was inhabited by various beings abducted by an unknown alien species, so the Sith and humans are not yet truly in contact with one another, so there is no continuity problems.

15. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000

To quote good of Villie, "Yum, Yum!"

16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Huh, a Sith character. I almost hope he doesn't just end up as a villain as that might be a bit too predictable, but not sure if his description is already slightly ominous or not.

This new series sounds awesome, looking forward to seeing this pivotal era, though it'll probably be one of the most unique eras of Star Wars ever (like no lightsabers).

17. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    This has soooooooo much potential it's kind of scary. I've been waiting for this story a long time.

Now to the more spoiler-esque material.

The overt dualism stuff concerns me, and I really wish they hadn't decided to go that direction with the setting. Nevertheless, I hope that we'll at least get more actual clarification as to what the dualistic light side/dark side divide actually IS and what exactly it entails. Waru willing, we'll hopefully at least get a more Eastern-style dualism between forces of creation and destruction within the world rather than the clumsy Manichean-style dualism of good and evil that's been so stupidly popular in the modern West. I have to admit that this aspect of the series does make me nervous, since it could absolutely ruin the series for me. Nevertheless, I have a lot of faith in these writers, and even if the Force philosophy is terrible, I'm sure the setting/characters will still be awesome.

The presence of enlightened "good" Sith Je'daii at Tython is fascinating. It does seem like there's the possibility of a contradiction here with the past depiction of the Sith race as having evolved in a symbiotic relationship with the Dark Side (with capital letters!) itself, and thus being generally a pretty evil and nasty race and society by nature, even before the Dark Jedi came along. Though the fact that these are enlightened warriors and philosophers who left Korriban to find balance does mitigate this quite a bit. And anyway, I've always been a fan of making the Sith as a species not iredeemably evil anyway, so it doesn't bother me all that much; in fact, I really like the idea of a few Sith discovering the true nature of the Force and morality and being persecuted, hunted, and hounded until they answer the "divine" call and leave their civilization behind them on a quest to the stars.
    Plus, Sith are just really cool in general, so I'm definitely happy to have them around. All kinds of interesting directions this could be taken.

Oh, and the idea of the Rakata as villains of the series is excellent and has a lot of potential. I am also deeply intrigued by the mystic pyramids that transported the Jedi to Tython, and the idea of discovering the intelligence(s) behind them. And the "Force Hound" concept also sound veeerrry interesting.

Basically, this series oozes potential out of every orifice, and I just hope John and Jan make good use of it.
    Godspeed, gents![face_peace]

18. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    If it was anybody, ANYBODY else doing it, I would say it is part of Dark Horse Era-testing. But with those two I will wait and I barely was waiting for anything called Star Wars anymore in a long time . . .

19. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm so excited that I can't even see straight!

John or Jan - predictions on which character Trace and I fall in love with?

20. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Well, if there was anything which could make me buy the next Dark Horse SW project, it was that. Well, besides the obvious of bringing back Legacy, which still should be done ASAP, but Randy Stratley can't admit an error, etc.,etc..

Sounds absolutely fascinating and I am looking forward to Johns writing and Jans art. After the other lackluster recent stuff from DH, this is very good.

21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm curious, folks - now that we know what their new thing is, would anybody still rather have monthly Legacy back instead? Assuming they couldn't manage both, which is likely.

22. BuddhaRich

BuddhaRich Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2009

In the mythology of the Sith, the "evilness" of the Sith hearkens back to Adas and his era, through holocrons, etc. So if these enlightened warriors and philosophers really did leave Korriban, they left a Korriban that was already involved in aspects of Sith culture that we see millennia later, so they will have been reacting to, and will be aware of, that kind of evilness. So we may get a very interesting at early Sith culture, just like Jedi culture. Hopefully (and likely, given it's John and Jan) we won't see another rehash of the Sith/Jedi battle.

But yeah this looks awesome.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes. I would like to see the origins of the Republic, but this is earlier than that and has to be handled with much greater sensitivity. I'll withhold judgment until I actually see it (I was negative about the Legacy announcement as well), but at first instinct... eh.

24. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    I would much, much rather have this than Legacy. The premise is more interesting, the visual style more distinctive, and there is more room for the story to grow in interesting directions.

Then again, I never liked Legacy half as much as everyone else on the story seems to, and I am more fond of early time periods than others.

25. Randy_Stradley

Randy_Stradley Dark Horse Comics Editor and Author star 2 VIP

Apr 23, 2002
    At some point I should probably mention that I have been trying to get this story off the ground since 2003 (which was when the painting of the couple with the swords and the glowing ball of Force energy was commissioned from artist Rudolfo Migliari)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.