main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Horror

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by craigrr, Nov 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    Has this been done successfully yet? I don't recall having seen any.

I know there was a "Goosebumps"-type series a while back called "Galaxy of Fear" but I've never read any of them, so don't know if they're any good.

There's been all sorts of SW fiction ranging from romance, to humor, to (believe it or not) erotica (weird to say the least). I think horror would be a natural for the GFFA since we've already seen ghosts and bizarre creatures. I'm not particularly adept at writing good horror, but I would like to read some, if it's any good that is. Any leads?

2. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    I think that it's hard to tell when SW crosses into horror -- it's a fairy tale as is, and fairy tales cross back and forth over the border with horror almost constantly (like Stephen King, I consider horror largely a subset of the fairy tale genre).

I think a lot of the stories probably have elements of horror in them, but, no, I can't think of one that is totally within that subset. It could be good, though ghosts in SW aren't exactly scary, unless you're a lawyer who's got Obi-Wan's ghost on the stand and are trying to get a straight story... ;)

What kind of horror would be good? A haunted house, maybe (the movies have a haunted tree cave; a story set in a place that could bring up the dark visions could be very scary...)

3. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    I know this is coming from my personal tastes, but personally, I've never liked any story in any medium whose primary purpose was horror.

However, I do think that any genre can be worked into the Star Wars galaxy, and in fact should. When you're dealing with fan fiction, there is a certain amount of freedom in that you are merely exploring a certain context or setting. Your approach is not restricted by the genre or style of the source material.

4. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    Actually there are quite a few stories that do border on horror on the boards. They are there.

I've done a few and I plan to do more. I like to put more of a drama element in my stories, but there is ranges of horror and suspense in what I do. Of course that's not all I do, but it's my stock and trade and I won't change for anyone. Nor will I tell anyone what to read and write on these boards.

Want friendly samples? Go here to Casper's SW-Halloween Spooky Short Stories and read 'Keep Shouting', or 'Tea for One' on page three of the thread; both written by me.

5. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    It could be good, though ghosts in SW aren't exactly scary, unless you're a lawyer who's got Obi-Wan's ghost on the stand and are trying to get a straight story...

Oh, JediGaladriel, why did you have to say that?! :D

I love it when I get broad-sided by an idea. [face_mischief]

6. Embra

Embra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2001
    I've always felt that horror in writing is the atmosphere created by the author rather than a particular subject or set of subjects. Stephen King, at his best, can make the description of utterly ordinary items, places or events completely terrifying.

It is unfortunate that horror has been hijacked by the slasher genre, and that tales of knife-wielding loonies have taken over from subtle tales that scare for longer.

I think horror has a definite place in Star Wars literature, and have to agree with the others who have posted here. It's a matter of atmosphere.

A lot of what's doing in the NJO has leanings toward horror, particularly the fate of some of the Jedi in the early books. The short stories of Dannik Jerriko the Anzati in Tales From The Mos Eisley Cantina and Tales From Jabba's Palace are excellent examples of horror in the SW galaxy, particularly the first, 'Soups Up'. A little cliched maybe, but not lacking in atmosphere.

There have been many other moments of horror in SW novels, and a little in the films (Dagobah's cave, Luke disovering who dear old dad is). The age groups that SW is most often aimed at, right or wrong, I believe prevents authors from really going for it. Understandable, I guess.

Anyway; gratuitous self-promotion bit. My first story on TF.N's boards, 'Down and out on DB-24' has definite horror elements to it (at least, that was the intention). Check it out and let me know what you think.

7. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    Thanks for all the input. I do agree, it's definitely an atmosphere issue. I also agree about the slasher part of it. Guess that's why I don't like too many horror films. There's nothing scary about being grossed out. I guess that's why Poe is one of my favorite authors. That guy knew how to scare. Wow! Just read "Pit & the Pendulum". That's one of his creepiest stories.

Also, horror is a pretty subjective genre too. Something that scares one person may not scare another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.