main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Star Wars Miniatures Release Tournament!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by LingSter, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Theres a comics shop in downtown rochester that sells them rather cheap.
    I go there.

2. mrgr8ness

mrgr8ness Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2005
    I heard that Gamestop may carry them, have to check them out. On a side note, I got a Darth Revan in a Force Unleashed pack I bought the other day. I would assume its a good pick, based on the stats and the price the are going for on ebay[face_dancing]

3. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    Here's the rules I picked up at Millenium from John for the next SW minis tournament, "King of the Hill" on December 29, 2007 at 1 p.m.. He had to reduce the team cost due to time limitations. I pointed out to him that New Republic should also include fringe since the only non-unique NR are NR commanders and NR troopers. Everybody else has a name. He nodded, but I don't know if he will allow it or not. Also, I don't know what rule sheet he means unless this is it.

4. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    You mean 12/29? ;)

5. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Thanks, that's what happens when I try to type fast. LOL

For those interested in the SW minis Starship Battles, Axis and Allies or D&D mini dragons, WOTC has a coupon on their website. Since the pdf file doesn't seem to want to load on our laptop, I haven't been able to print it or see what the expiration date was on it. I figured if the offer was still good after Christmas, I might try to complete my set with a visit to a couple of stores.

6. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    I loaded the PDF file (http://www.wizards.com/holiday/promo.pdf), but it just seems like an advertisement and less like a coupon. I didn't notice an expiration on it anywhere, just a "see store for details".

~Doc_Bev

7. mrgr8ness

Oct 25, 2005
    Don't know if you guys have a Borders close, but thats is the only place that carries SW minis near me that I have found so far. A+E and Champions of the Force are $14.99, Bounty Hunters are $19.99, Force Unleashed are $21.99. I just signed up for Borders rewards about a week and a half ago, its free. You get a 20% off any item coupon for signing up, plus you get periodic coupons on purchase receipts and in emails. I have already gotten (2) 30% off any one item coupons, one with a purchase and one in email. Plus you earn rewards points that you can cash in for discounts Its an awesome savings, thought I'd share the wealth:D

8. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Oh, yes - DarSolo has made much use of her Borders Rewards program. [face_laugh]

~Doc_Bev

9. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Oh yeah, I use Border Rewards, personal shopping days, educator's discounts or the coupons at Borders to bring the price of the boosters below 70% of the retail price, since there's a comic shop in the city that gives a 30% discount on any miniatures (except promos) when you pay cash. Also, Borders had a "Buy 2 Star Wars books, get 1 free" sale around the time that Alliance and Empire came out, so we cleaned out many stores trying to complete that set, since the Star Wars miniatures are coded as books in their systems. LOL - I was very popular for trading with all the duplicates and triplicates I had pulled. I also got a lot of good figures when WaldenBooks closed. Target also carries SW minis, but it's hit or miss whether they have any on the shelves, and they are full price. Otherwise, I think there are only a couple comic shops and a couple gaming stores in town that sell them. Of course, Bill has found some dealers online that have decent prices on cases. Check WOTC's website for stores in your area.

10. mrgr8ness

Oct 25, 2005
    Our Target has a few every once in awhile. Hmm, I didn't know about the minis being coded as books. Is this just your Borders or all? Probably has to be all right? I keep getting 30% off one book or CD coupons. Maybe I can use them for miniatures? And how are you getting them around 70% off, combining coupons? I am still pretty new to Borders, so I am learning the tricks as I go.

11. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    What are the game days for January? Jan 12th is one right?
    I was just trying to update the upcoming events calendar.

~Doc_Bev

12. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Oops, sorry, you misunderstood me. Not 70% off (unless I have a good coupon and a lot of Border Rewards - Yes, I have gotten some free packs before), I'm willing to pay up to 70% of the retail price (30% off) anywhere since a comic shop in the city sells them regularly for 30% off any of their gaming miniatures except promos when you pay with cash.

Yes, Borders codes the SW minis as books at all their stores, so I use the coupons like 30% off 1 item or 1 book; then when you spend so much you get $5 in Borders Rewards. Some survey sites also let you redeem their points for Border Rewards. I think Borders did away with the Personal Shopping Days in which you could earn one of those to choose any day (by the end of the next month) to get 10% off all purchases at Borders. Ever since they changed their site a few months ago, I haven't been able to log on to check my account. If you work at a school or university, you can get an educator's discount at certain times (like 25%) on anything in the store with your ID or pay stub, but I don't think you can stack the coupons and the educator's discount, but you could use the Borders Rewards and the Personal Shopping Days with any coupons or discounts.

Sometimes you can find the Star Wars Miniatures Ultimate Missions books (Rebel Storm, Clone Strike and Revenge of the Sith) on the shelf at Borders too. The books have various scenarios, character information, and maps.

The Target-exclusive Star Wars Miniatures Battle of Hoth Scenario Pack with a bonus Bounty Hunters booster attached can still be found in the stores for $59.99.

13. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    I picked up a new schedule at Millennium Games on Saturday for the Star Wars Miniature gaming events. (All events have the WOTC prize kit for prizes unless noted otherwise)
    All events are DCI sanctioned!

January 12, 1 PM
    Cost: $5
    Prizes TBA
    Format: Constructed. Bring your favorite 100pt battle force.

January 26, 1 PM
    Prizes TBA
    Format: Constructed. Bring your favorite 150pt battle force.

February 9, 1 PM
    Prizes TBA
    Format: Constructed. Bring your favorite 100pt battle force.

14. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    The next SW minis tourney is tomorrow, Saturday 23rd. at Millennium Games. Bring a 150 point team; huges are okay. I hope to pick up a new schedule for upcoming tournaments and the Legacy of the Force release event tomorrow, but John hasn't gotten confirmation on the release date as of earlier this week. Online I've seen March 7th., March 28th., April 1st., and April 7th. as release dates. I'm hoping the release event will not conflict with the Teen Book Festival with Timothy Zahn on April 5th.. [face_praying]

15. LingSter

LingSter Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2001
    The Legacy of the Force SEALED event will be April 12th, cost 20 bucks, you get 2 boosters. PLUS, prize support!

It starts at 1pm, so see you there!

16. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Also, the tourney at 1 p.m. this Saturday, March 8th. at Millennium Games, has special rules:
    Building this squad is a lot harder than it seems. See you there.

17. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Besides Millennium's sealed event on April 12th. for the new set coming out this weekend, there will be a SW minis Legacy of the Force release event from noon until 2 p.m. on Sunday, March 30th, at SimCon at the University of Rochester in Douglas Dining Center where the Battle of Hoth was fought last year. Chris said that the price is the same, but you will have to pay for admission for the con as well. I think he said a day pass is $10, $15 for the weekend. You save a little if you preregister, but I can't find a link to do that online. He is also working with Boldo for prize support for the release event.

On Saturday night, Chris is running a Battle of Yavin game with the SW minis and the rules of some old game. It sounded interesting.

18. LingSter

LingSter Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2001
    Eventually (once I get the parts in the mail) I will need to do some vaccum forming, or parts molding of my deathstar panels and tower. I'm going to create a "in scale" Death Star Trench Run for the Starship Minis.

It'll be cool if I can affordably duplicate the parts. The board should be about 32 inches x 44 inches or something close to that.

19. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    That sounds neat Lingster!

I'll add SimCon to our calendar...

~Doc_Bev

20. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    I received an e-mail from WOTC/DCI about special release events. Are we doing anything special with the release event on April 12th. at Millennium Games? There are 3 new scenarios listed on the site, but the problem is that each of them call for specific figures from the new set.

"On March 28th, Wizards of the Coast releases Legacy of the Force, the newest set for the Star Wars Miniatures Game. With this set, you'll get to play miniatures from the Star Wars: Legacy comic book series and the Legacy of the Force novel series. To celebrate, hundreds of retailers around the US and Canada are hosting Legacy of the Force Release Events on the weekend of April 11-13. The Release Events feature new scenario-based play that invokes the cinematic adventures of Star Wars! Check www.wizards.com/starwars for details on a Release Event near you!"

21. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I believe I'm going to be busy that weekend with costume building. Or more specifically - keeping the kids occupied while Daddy is costume building.

But, if folks want to do something special for the release that sounds like a cool idea. I'm just not sure what "special" you had in mind. :p

~Doc_Bev

22. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    [face_laugh] LOL (sorry Nicky) - I was actually asking John or if anyone (Scott) had heard if we were going to be using any of the "special" rules or scenarios for the LOTF release event on April 12th.. The e-mail and WOTC's site were a bit confusing on that point. I guess it never occurred to me that the non-playing members would want to do anything special for the event like we had a very long time ago. :oops:

23. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    The next tournament, this Saturday, April 19th. at 1 p.m. at Millennium Games, is [b}The Ultimate Booster[/b]. Construct a 100 point team with 7 figures: 1 rare or very rare, 2 uncommons and 4 commons along faction rules. Fringe is its own faction. Obviously no huges and I found some factions to be impossible to use such as Sith, Old Republic, New Republic and Mandalorian due to the costs. See you there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.