main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN STAR WARS Reference in "x" T.V or movie

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Kir Kanos, Mar 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    Tonight's "That 70's show" will have a couple of good SW refrences. Especially stay tuned for the closer that goes on over the end credits. I'll post the full quote up soon (after I tape it tonight for accuracy). Anyways the episode is on at 7 PM tonight on Ch. 7 (cable) or whatever frequency you use to get Fox 17.

2. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    On Charmed they incorporated the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. When one of the teachers gets his head cut off, he doesn't die, but continues to try to instruct them on how to defeat the evil headless horseman. Page then says,to paraphrase "who does he think he is, Obi Wan Kenobi?!"

3. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Last night's rerun of "That 70's Show" featured 2 great SW refrences.

Eric is defending his ability to fix stuff after his father (Red) states that Eric's inability to be a handyman is a failure on Red's part.
    Red (After realizing that the project won't be completed): Just pack up this stuff and let's call a plumber. (paraphrase)
    Eric: No, no. Look, I can fix some things; Boba Fett's jetpack doesn't just glue itself back on! You know what? I'm going to fix the lawnmower right now.

Later in the episode, Eric & Red quiz each other to prove their knowledge in each other's world.
    Red holds up a tool
    Eric: Socket wrench. Holds up Han Solo figure.
    Red: Drives the spaceship. Sits next to the hairy guy.
    Eric: (Exasperated) Han Solo. Red hold up a screwdriver. Flathead screwdriver. Eric holds up a Vader figure.
    Red: Oh, I know this; guy with a breathing problem.
    Eric: Stares at Red. Guy with a breathing problem. This is Darth freaking Vader! Seriously Dad, if you don't know the Dark Lord of the Sith, the most hated enemy of the Jedi warrior, then I guess somewhere down the line I failed with you.

4. TK-6873

TK-6873 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    There seems to be a time continuity problem with that whole episode.
    The Boba Fett figure didn't make his appearence until ESB...in 1980. (Granted BF did show up in the Life Day special in '79, but the figure didn't show til 1980). And the Boba Fett backpack of that era was molded as on piece with the figure. Not removable like the new ones. Also, some of the figures Eric was holding up were from the NEW POTF line that started in 1995.
    Ah, Hollywood and their "creative license" to change history. Gotta love 'em.

5. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    can't..stop..laughing- i'm watching an episode of South park, sally struthers is Jabba,(eating all the food aid donations she solicits) kenny is in carbonite, and the etheopians are traveling to another planet- so she is chasing fearing she will lose her food supply!
    LOL

6. obi-TN

obi-TN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    I believe "That 70s Show" is now in the 80s. In the 20th episode of the series, they see "Star Wars". We are now in season 6, over 100 episodes later. I would imagine that at least 3 years have passed.

7. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    I would imagine that at least 3 years have passed.

Not necessairly true. They've never been too specific in years (although the first few seasons were set in 1976 & 1977) so chronology isn't the biggest thing for them (it is just a SHOW after all, not history).

On another reference note, two Saturdays ago when Drew Barrymore hosted Sat. Night Live, they had a bunch of characters from her past movies (well, really only E.T.) come out during the monologue. When Lord Vader & a really bad looking 3-PO came out she declared, "Look, I wasn't in Star Wars." Then Vader told her he was her father and read a V-Day card to her that amongst the titles he holds (including DL of the Sith) the title of "father" was the one he was proudest to have earned. Didn't see the complete bit and I came in at the end of it.

8. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Here's the transcript of Drew Barrymore's SNL monologue (from SNL Transcripts):

Drew Barrymore's Monologue

.....Drew Barrymore
    E.T.....Will Forte
    C3PO.....Seth Meyers
    Zelda Rubinstein.....Rachel Dratch
    Darth Vader.....Darrell Hammond

Drew Barrymore: Thank you, everybody, it's great to be back! [ audience can't stop applauding ] Thank you! Thank you! Thanks, you guys! Hey, it's great to be back here, hosting "Saturday Night Live"! You know, the first time I hosted the show I was seven years old - it was way back in the early 80's, right after I did "E.T.". Now, that seems like a lifetime ago, and I've made a bunch of movies since then --

[ E.T. enters stage ]

E.T.: Drew-ewww. Drew-ewww!

Drew Barrymore: Oh, my God! E.T.!

E.T.: It's been so long!

Drew Barrymore: I know! What are you doing here? I thought you went.. home.

E.T.: Well, I came back to do a spot on "I Love the 80?s", on VH1.

Drew Barrymore: Right, right.. well.. gosh. We should, uh, sit around and.. catch up and talk.. and.. you know - later, I'll get you some Reese's Pieces.

E.T.: Noooo. I'm on Atkins.

Drew Barrymore: Right. Isn't everybody now..?

[ 3CPO enters stage ]

C3PO: Drew Barrymore!

Drew Barrymore: C3PO?

C3PO: I haven't you since we were together in "Star Wars"!

Drew Barrymore: I wasn't.. I wasn't even in "Star Wars"..

C3PO: Wasn't in "Star Wars"? But of course you were!

Drew Barrymore: No. I mean.. I was pretty messed up at certain points back then, but I'm pretty sure I'd remember if I was in "Star Wars"!

[ Zelda Rubenstein, the midget lady from "Poltergeist" enters stage ]

Zelda Rubinstein: Do not go in-to the light!

Drew Barrymore: Okay --

Zelda Rubinstein: Run a-way from the liiiight.

Drew Barrymore: Okay, who are you?

Zelda Rubinstein: It's me, you co-star from "Pol-ter-geist" - Mid-get La-dyyyy!

Drew Barrymore: Wait a minute.. I wasn't in "Poltergeist".

Zelda Rubinstein: Are you su-urrrrre? I re-mem-ber a lit-tle gir-liiiiie..

Drew Barrymore: Yes. No. I'm.. positive, I'm sure. No.

Zelda Rubinstein: You can't tell me you did-n't au-dit-ion for it..

Drew Barrymore: Actually, I did, funny enough. But.. no. That was a long time ago --

[ Darth Vader enters stage ]

Darth Vader: Young Barrymore. I am your father.

Drew Barrymore: Wait. You guys! I wasn't in "Star Wars", I wasn't in "Poltergeist", and you're definitely not my father!

Darth Vader: Well.. guess I'll just.. throw this damn thing away. [ holds out a paper Valentine ]

[ the cache of non-co-stars awwws ]

Drew Barrymore: Wait, no, no. That's really sweet, actually. Why don't you read it to me?

Darth Vader: [ relunctantly ] Oh, alright. [ reads ]
    "I held you, when you skinned your knee.
    My heart soared on your graduation day.
    And, although I'm known by many other names:
    Lord of the Sith.. Vader.. Anakin the Skywalker..
    Whatever.
    The one I'm most proud of..
    Is "Dad"."
    And, then, I wrote something about.. "Happy Valentine's Day. Daddy."

Drew Barrymore: Thank you. Thank you. Happy Valentine's Day. I think that was so sweet. I wish all of you were my Valentine.

E.T.: Not me. E.T. holding out for Kelis. I like milkshakes!

Drew Barrymore: Excellent. Well, I'll see what I can do to help you there. And, we've got a great show - Kelis is here. So, stick around and we.. we will be right back!

9. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Tonight's Simpsons had Homer, Bart, and Lisa go see the latest episode of "Cosmic Wars", which had absolutely no action in the movie (the Supreme Chancellor was calling attendance in the Senate for a large portion of the movie).

They then go to the studio to complain, where the George Lucas character rides off on a Tauntaun. He also gives Bart and Lisa a box each of "Jim Jam" cereal (which is just AlphaBits with extra "J"s).

10. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    This past Saturday's SNL featured a SW reference on Weekend Update. Tina Fey announced that conditions appeared to be getting worse at the Iraqi prison, and then showed a photo of 2 or 3 501st stormtroopers standing over 2 civilian prisoners on their knees with their hands on their heads (favorite convention pose of many).

On a related note (Toymaster will be happy to hear), this past weekend's show was the last SNL for Jimmy Falon. If they lose Hammond they might as well go off the air.

11. Toymaster

Toymaster Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    These days I think they'd be better off with Charles Rocket and Gilbert Gottfried!

12. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    These days I think they'd be better off with Charles Rocket and Gilbert Gottfried!

I never really cared for those years of SNL. If those 2 were the star attraction, looks like I'd get more sleep on Saturday nights.

13. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    The upcoming 7/11/04 episode of SeaLab 2021 entitled "Craptastic Voyage" will mirror the ANH shoot-out between the Falcon and Ties.

clip

14. Toymaster

Toymaster Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    After seeing Spider-Man and Anchorman, it was Amy's turn to pick last night, so we saw The Stepford Wives. I was pleasantly surprised that there was not only a Star Wars reference, but a Star Wars action figure reference!

kid: "Did you get my action figures?"

Stepford mom: "Yes, Mace Windu and Amidala."

kid: "What about Boba Fett?"

Stepford mom: "I couldn't find him."

kid: "Aw, Mom, he's my favorite."

Stepford mom: "Here's five-hundred dollars."

BTW, The Stepford Wives was directed by the voice of Yoda (and Fozzy, and Bert, and Miss Piggy, and Grover...) himself, Frank Oz.

15. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    On episode 1 of Stargate Atlantis ( :p ) Friday night, the Earth team travelled to the Pegasus galaxy. They told some people they met that they came from a "galaxy far, far away."

16. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    If TV Guide is telling the truth than tonight's That '70s Show (8 PM CST on Fox) will feature Donna & Eric receiving marriage counseling from Billy Dee Williams, himself. Donna's main problem is that Eric is too obcessed with SW. Of course Lando isn't about to bad mouth SW, some very funny stuff ensues. I'll tape it tonight & try to post up the quotes soon. Might even watch it during the cook-out in a few weeks!

17. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I took Kylie to see "a cinderella story", the new Hillary Duff movie for her b-day Monday, and there was a kid in it that had on a t-shirt that said "Darth Vader was framed"
    Too cool!

18. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    I happened to catch the That 70's Show episode that Zach referred to (purely by accident -- I hardly ever watch the show). Some great SW references and jokes in there!

19. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    The past season of That 70's Show seems to feature a SW reference in almost every episode. The one just mentioned, seemed to be built around SW.

20. Basill

Basill Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Yeah, I just saw a syndicated episode last night that mentioned Luke Skywalker a few times. How long has that show been on the air now? This past season (including this weeks Billy Dee episode)featured a 79 License plate. Should they still BE in the 70's? Or is it a M.A.S.H. thing?

21. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    They've been using the 79 plate for closing credits for quite some years now. They were a surprise hit when Fox was canceling shows left and right and I believe the first season was set in 76 or 77. So now, like M*A*S*H they try not to make reference to what year it is (of course there's the occasional mention of something that didn't happen until the '80s). the show's been around since 1996 and they just finished the 6th season.

A neat fact from the IMDB: After the closing credits of each episode, the license plate registration sticker reflects the season the show is in, and therefore year that the episode takes place in (an idea borrowed from "L.A. Law").

22. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    On tonight's "Family Guy", Cleveland is about to beat up Quagmire with a baseball bat in front of the Griffins. The shot pans over to Emperor Palpatine, who says, "Good... let the hate flow through you!" Lois pushes the Emperor out of the way, saying, "You're not helping!"

23. GHOSTintheSNOW

GHOSTintheSNOW Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    How about the South Park Movie? Stan falls in the snow, looks up and sees the clitoris speaking to him. then it fades away as his friends come to help him.

The General with the cigar and the hologram machine sounding just like Ackbar.

24. audiogirl21

audiogirl21 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2001
    Billy and Mandy, Kids next Door and....some other cartoon...well, Dexters Lab, have done some awesome, hilarious, spoofs. good stuff

25. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Tonight's "The Apprentice" has the two groups marketing for the release of the ROTS DVD release. I'll be taping it, in case anyone misses it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.