main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon Star Wars

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Larena_Jade, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    So just the other day I was thinking Star Wars. So I figured Star Wars, and then Star Wars has to be Star Wars. But then Star Wars and also Star Wars Star Wars and then I also new that Star Wars was going to have to be Star Wars. So in conclusion, Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars.

I mean really, that's just so Star Wars. Right?

Now before you get me for saying Star Wars. I'd like to Star Wars Star Wars and save myself by saying Star Wars.
    Anyways, the heck with Star Wars because Star Wars is here to stay.

2. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    So what is this thread really about?

Star Wars.

so lets get some star wars talk going. I mean really. If it helps you, just think of this as a Star Wars stoner thread. Not that you have to actually be stoned. But just talk about star wars...about whatever pops into your head, it can be the most random thing.

3. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    You want to buy some death sticks?

4. jawafett

jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep star 3

Mar 13, 2003
    The Kessel Run in less than 12 par secs. Smuggling Glitterstim.

-Eric

5. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    *THE IMPERIAL MARCH* (Marching Imperials sold separately.)

6. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    There is a store named Kessels in Salem. Always thought of posting it here, but never got around to it.

7. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    "Well, better late than never." oh, snap... different movie!

(Cheech Marin, dock worker commenting on the Titanic finally arriving to New York Harbor in Ghostbusters II)

OK, I will bring this back on topic, here....

Anyone who knows me will know that two of my favorite subjects are Star Wars (duh!) and History. And if you didn't know that, you do now! So where am I going with this? Observe:

This is the 30th anniversary of Empire Strikes Back. One of the coolest minor-role characters, in my humble opinion, is General Veers. He is so iconic and an effective armored division commander, not unlike the "Desert Fox" Field Marshall Erwin Rommel, who commanded one of Germany's best Panzer Divisions. We can see that the character of Veers was patterned after Rommel, a great deal. Just look at his command presence and look in the movie.

What a lot of people don't know is that Rommel served under another stern field commander. What was his name? Colonel-General Hermann Hoth (honest, I couldn't make this up, if I had tried!).

Yes, it would seem that real-world history has a Star Wars connection.... while Veers was patterned after Rommel, it was the planet of that epic battle where the Imperials beat down the Rebels, that was named after Rommels commanding officer.

Tattooine is named after the local city that they were filming around, in Tunisia, for the original movie. Only the name was spelled differently (Tataouine).

Endor was the name of a village where a witch lived, as depicted in the Hebrew Bible (1Samuel 28:3-25).

Yavin, quite possible, could have been named after Haim Yavin, a broadcaster who was considered to be the Israeli "Cronkite". Of course, I don't know if this is the case, but I wouldn't be a bit suprised, since Lucas is part Jewish himself and has a flair for introducing different heritage and cultures into his epic story.

Felusia, the planet where Aayla Secura bites it, can be thought to have been named after Falluja, Iraq, since that was a hot-topic in the war in Iraq when ROTS was being made.

So... do I get a snicker-doodle for keeping it Star Wars?

- Bill

8. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    Yeah Lucas has always used elements of the Bible and Greek myth as inspiration. I've never actually tried to come up with a whole list of everything he uses. But there are some obvious ones out there as well.

9. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    The Biblical references were a given in the Indiana Jones movies. I didn't quite catch on to them in Star Wars, until I actually started looking for them. It was the physical historical references that blew me away.

- Bill

10. jawafett

Mar 13, 2003
    Homages (Easter Eggs) and Fact its are evident in most of Lucas's movies. THX 1138 (his own movie) is all over Star Wars saga, Indiana Jones Raiders has the same canyon where Luke catches up with run away R2, Well of the Souls has a hyroglyphic of C3PO & R2D2. ET's race is seen in EPI Senate scene.

Plus History has a way of repeating itself. Raise and fall of Empires, etc.

-Eric

11. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Oh No, not another religion thread !!

But hey, it might spice things up around here again.......Soooooooo

"Here goes nothing, *hesitantly types* religion."

12. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Yes.

13. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    HEY!!! We were talking religion !!!

STAY ON TOPIC !!

14. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    Jeeze man, we have an impressive mountain climber in our midst. Where did you come from?!

Hey! I've climbed the tallest mountain in Oregon! :p

15. jawafett

Mar 13, 2003
    Indy & Last Crusade had that cool temple in Jordan.

-Eric

16. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    I hiked part of the Pacific Crest Trail, over Mt Hood, once. Does that count for Mountain Climbing?
    Hmm.... how does this relate to Star Wars? I have no clue.

Think.... think.... got.. to.. think.. star.. wars! (good grief, I am sounding like William Shatner!)

Ok, can anyone think of Star Wars planets that have mountain ranges? There, that's star wars related! :D

- Bill

17. ImperialJedi

Sep 23, 2001
    In the movies there weren't really any places with mountains. Lots of planets with crazy cliffs though, like where Obi-wan killed Grievous.

How about Wayland? Is it mountainous? I always imagined it being like hiking here in Oregon.

18. jawafett

Mar 13, 2003
    Endor, duh! Carivan of Courage and Battle for Endor showed all kinds of terrain. Ewok magic and Charral the Nightsister. How cool was that?

-Eric

19. ImperialJedi

Sep 23, 2001
    I tend to let myself forget about those movies. I can't even remember what happens in them! I must have watched them when I was very young.

btw, I'm 24 today! [face_dancing]

-IJedi

20. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    Happy belated birthday, Jasmine!

Alderaan had a nice tall mountain side behind the palace, when Bail Organa's ship landed (at the end of ROTS).

- Bill

21. CloneUncleOwen

Jul 30, 2009
    But no death sticks.

22. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    What, do I look like Elan Sleazebaggano to you?

23. CloneUncleOwen

Jul 30, 2009
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Wait a minute... you mean you're not...

Sorry...[face_whistling]

24. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    One word, my friend.... one word for you: mir'shebs!

- Bill

25. CloneUncleOwen

Jul 30, 2009
    Verd ori'shya beskar'gam,vermo?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.