main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Starbucks: The Literature Edition

Discussion in 'Literature' started by solojones, Nov 2, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katriel

Katriel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2000
    HELLO o o o o o! Is anyone here ere ere ere?
    My goodness it's been abandoned! Oooo, but they left behind some whoopie pies! Yum. I'll just take one....well maybe two. Wouldn't want them to go to waste. I'll just sit over here and read for a bit.

2. JediLurker

JediLurker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2001
    Who is your favorite OT character?
    Luke
    Who is your favorite EU character?
    Luke/Mara.... hard to choose
    How's you get your screen name?
    Me=wannabe Jedi Me=lurker
    What series do you like?
    Besides starwars....?!? The Trilogy of the Ring, of course.
    Do you like butter or margarin better?
    Neither... I go in for good 'ol blubber... mmmmm
    Tell us more about you?
    What's to tell 'cept I'm a highschool junior, play a lot of sports, read a lot of books... oh, and I just happen to be a green poisonous squid who studies at night in a 500 gallon aquarium. Really.
    Do you like your coffee black?
    ewwww... get it away! It burns! Ummm.... to answer your question: no. I don't like coffee.

3. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Conversation starter:

Anyone seen any good movies lately? :D

4. Katriel

Nov 5, 2000
    Hey Wedge, the last movie I saw in the theater was Chocolat. I liked it a lot. I want to see The Mexican. I'm not a huge Brad Pitt fan but the trailer for the movie looked good. What have you seen lately?

Jedi Lurker, Welcome to Starbucks. Kadue is our generous host however he isn't here yet so let me do the honors. What will ya have?

5. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    I rented Fight Club and Hallow Man last week. Fight Club was nothing like I expected. Brad Pitt has lots of weird movies, I liked it though. Hallow Man was okay.

Going to go see Down to Earth tonight. Hope it is funny.

6. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Morning all.

Welcome Lurker. Come join in the fun.

I haven't seen too many movies recently, but I did see Bedazzled, not too bad when all your looking for is a light viewing, and they rereleased Gladiator because it's up for the oscars, and finally saw it on the big screen. Brilliant.

7. callista35

callista35 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 1999
    I hope Gladiator wins, and I hope Russell Crowe wins.

8. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I don't like Russel Crowe..so i hope he doesn't win...

Gladiator was a good film..but...uhhh i didn't like the violence, and well i don't like russel crowe..can't expalain it

9. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Gladiator was a nice epic. I'm hoping Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon wins a lot of awards. It is so grand and mystical.

Bedazzled was a nice, short, funny movie. I enjoyed it a lot. Down to Earth wasn't to good. Plot seemed weird, and the stand up comedy wasn't that funny. Some cool moments though.

10. Katriel

Nov 5, 2000
    What is with the abduction attempts on Russell Crowe? He has 24 hour FBI protection. Isn't that wacky?

11. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Even funnier is that he is laughing it off.

12. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2001
    Last movie I saw was Fantasia 2000, if you can really call that a movie. I love music, and "Rhapsody in Blue", by George Gershwin, was my favorite act. For anyone who's seen it, the Penn and Teller scene before "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" was kinda funny. :)
    Last real movie I saw was "Save the Last Dance." I thought it had a good plot, and it was well done, IMHO, but it was a definite "chick flick" according to everyone I asked.
    I really want to see "Gladiator", though. I got a DVD player for Christmas last year, and I've not used it for anything but 20 mins of "The Matrix"... I was frustrated by then because it had taken me an hour to figure out why I couldn't get it to work. That after seven months of not having a working television... Ugh. So I figure I can go rent it on DVD and finally figure out what that machine can do.
    As a final note, *always* read directions. Wait, was it me that just said that?! :eek:

13. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    lol Grasshopper. Everyone I know gives me blank stares when I say I'll open something after I've read the instructions, yet the way I see it is that it's better to spend ten minutes reading and getting it to work properly the first time, than spend half an hour ripping your hair out cause the stupid thing won't work.

I loved Fantasia, and the 2000 edition was just as great. Loved the Firebird scene, such a timeless story, and beautifully done.

14. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    Grasshopper: If you want to see Gladiator in the THEATER, I was up late last night scaning music before we had to turn it in :_| and I saw a commercial that Gladiator was coming out to theaters again. I sooo want to see it in the theater. Come with me!! Maybe Great Oaks is going to get it!!

Kadue, I also really liked the Firebird scene, and I was going to download the music from Napster, a DCI band playing it. When I went to see Fantasia 2000 in the theater and they said that the first song was Pines of Rome, I about died! I loved playing that song! Bass clarinet and bassoon soli at the beginning! That was the best! (Ah, band ties into everything in my life, somehow.)

Lets see...if we are being asked about the last movie that we saw in the theater, then it was What Women Want. The LAST movie I saw was Face/Off last night on NBC. I'm thinking of getting off the computer a little early tonight, and watching TPM, since I haven't watched it in awhile. :D

15. Grasshopper

Mar 6, 2001
    JJJedi- You are so kidding! My dad was saying that they should re-release it like they did Titanic and American Beauty while you guys were playing... I'll go, no doubt!
    Um... ahem. Sorry about that. I've been a spaz all day. Really excited because I finally made a musical at school. [face_blush]
    Kadue- Firebird scene... lemme think. Is that the one with the forest spirit lady, or is that a different one? You'll have to refresh my memory. :)

16. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Yep, that's the one with the death and renewal of the forest. I also loved Donald's piece, it's great to see him finally get his own short.

17. Grasshopper

Mar 6, 2001
    You're right, then, Kadue, the Firebird Suite was very well done. I don't know the story behind it all that well, but I'm sure it would have been amazing to see it in an Imax theater. Too bad they didn't get it up here...
    Donald's clip was good, too. Shows what people can do with music besides the traditional uses. :)

18. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    I would have loved to see it at an IMAX, but the only one in Australia is in Sydney, and it's not worth the trip for just one movie.

19. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    I hate Pomp & Circumstance.

Grasshopper, didn't you just love Gladiator? We pulled that song off in the same amount of time that we had for The Patriot. (And were you one of the people that jumped at the beginning of Dies Irae? :D I love that one. :) )

Kadue, like Grasshopper said, you wern't the only one that missed out. Cleveland didn't get it, or else I would have seen it at the IMAX. (Yes it would have been great!) Also Kadue, Grasshopper and I just wanted to make sure, you live in Canberra, right?

20. Grasshopper

Mar 6, 2001
    Dies Irae? I was on the ceiling. [face_blush] Bass drum scared the daylights out of me. Loved the music for Gladiator, though. My dad said: "That's the kinda music I can clean the house to." :D
    And it was JJJedi's idea, not mine. [face_mischief]

21. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Yep. I live in Canberra for most of the year while I'm at uni, and at a little beach town during my holidays.

22. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    Grasshopper, yeah, Dennis does a good job hittin...ok mind in the gutter about now. :D

Kadue, I have a really old atlas that says that Canberra was in Australia Capital Territory. This is a REALLY old atlas, because it still has East and West Germany! Is Canberra still in this, or was it changed or what?

(Aw man! The Crocodile Hunter is on! :) And sure, my dad doen't leave that channel on! Oh well.)

Congrats Grasshopper on making the play. I didn't look at the choir room door today during lunch, wanted to, to see what was on the paper. (Hey I don't pay attention to the choir stuff, since I'm not in it. :) )

23. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Yes, Canberra is in the ACT. ACT basically consists of Canberra only. When Australia became a nation after the colonies joined, they didn't want the capital and power to be held by one state, so the ACT was created to have a neutral state. There is a state government, but the federal one can make laws that overrule theirs.

Talk to you guys later, gotta run to a class.

24. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    you hate pomp and circumstance?
    doesn't it feel good to know that you are finally hearing it for yourself..as you get out of hs and into the wide wide world...

??
    otherwise it just sucks..because other people are graduating and not you..
    :0(

25. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    I just hate playing it. Glad that I'm going to get out of it this year. :D The band also plays "Die Meistersinger" for graduation and I love playing that song!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.