main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW Starfields

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Episode1WasntAnyGood, Apr 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Episode1WasntAnyGood

Episode1WasntAnyGood Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2001
    Hey, been a while since I have posted.
    Anyone notice that the starfields (space backgrounds) of Ep1 have about twice as many stars as the original trilogy ones?
    I'm guessing having millions of stars was made easier because the backgrounds were done digitally, as opposed to the old matte processes, but maybe not.
    I personally don't like it, I think it makes the space scenes seem way too "busy" and its hard to focus on all the craziness going on. The space scenes in the original trilogy I think are beautifully simple.
    Anyway I thought it was an interesting change in ep1, and I wonder if ep2 will continue the tradition or perhaps double the stars again!

2. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    *Blinks* An on topic Post!

QUICK! SHARA! KILL THIS THREAD!

Actually, I agree with you somewhat.

I look forward to seeing some Nebula's or other space swirly things.

3. maestrino

maestrino Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Yeah.... I would LOVE to see something like the star with nebulae round it (I don't know the technical term for it!) that was at the end of ESB... that thing kicked arse... :)

4. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    Sounds more like you've been watching your video copies of the OT too much. Little dots don't appear as well on the telly. It's something I noticed around the special edition times.

5. Keith_Katarn

Keith_Katarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Well, all I can think of is it happened due to the deleted scene in ANH when Darth says that the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force. Then Motti says "Oh, yeah !!" and then Vader says "OH YEAH!" and he then demonstrates by destroying a near-by planet. Then Motti replies with "OH YEAH" and says "Commence primary ignition" and then it just gets sillier and siller and overall there are a lot less stars and planets left to go through the rest of the OT movies !!

At least that's how I think it happened......

6. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    [duff beer man voice] OH YEAH!!! [/duff beer man voice]

7. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    Thats coz in the OT, they had those black squares round all the ships. Less stars!

8. Sai-Mera_Saa

Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    Watch the Special Edition documentaries again. Lucas explains the reason for the black lines The_Scream_Man mentioned. This is the reason most complicated sfx shots in the Trilogy were done against a space background with few stars. It eliminates the need to remove ugly black borders...

...but then if you are a purist you would know that.

9. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Heya Eppy, nice to see you again. :)

I think TPM's crawl is a bit different to that of the OT. The yellow seems to be a bit brighter to me. And there's no caps used (except in the titles). Like in ROTJ, it says "Little does Luke know that the GALACTIC EMPIRE has secretly...", they didn't do that for TPM. Back when I was into TPM spoilers I thought it would have been "...secretly dispatched two JEDI KNIGHTS...", but that never happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.