main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spring, MO StL's Official Costuming thread!!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Dajuan, May 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Well I was hoping my hint would get somone else to start this, cause me name start too many topics, but here it is....

THE OFFICIAL COSTUMING THREAD!!

Do what it is we do with every thread here. Argue, fight, go off topic, rant, rave, and generally have a good time!!

Seriously, post pictures, links, ideas for future costumes, calls for help or whatever you need.

2. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    links

[image=http://s94958815.onlinehome.us/images/Jon+Vader.JPG]
    ^picture

COSTUMING ROCKS
    ^rave

More later possibly.

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Looks like Jon beat me. Picture didn't work buddy!

As most of you know I have finished: Padme Picnic (my crowning acheivement), a Padme Pre-Battle white, a Obi Wan based Jedi (that has sense died), an E2 Anakin, and a slave girl.

I am currently working on Jack Sparrow for myself and am about to embark on an Elizabeth Swan island undies for a friend.

I have a ton of projects planned this summer including but not exclusive to: Padme Family dress (for friend), Dorme Goodbye gown (friend), Zuckuss (friend), Bespin Leia (me), Both ANH Leias (me, with the help of DarthTrader on the belt), at least 3 Roman Tunics (VoijaRisa), and something or another for Randy.

My dream projects are 2 sets of StormTrooper Armor for Randy and me, Boushh, and eventually every single Leia and Padme outfit for myself.

I'm skilled at anything you can stick a needle in, though my downfalls are button holes and those cool hems that have the double stitching in them. I plan to remedy that this summer as well with a nice sewing class.

I do custom costumes for anyone who asks, for the price of material, a very small fee, and agreeing to go on my costuming website. Just as long as yu give me enough time, I can create anything.

My sites: my general one. My cool costuming one That is soon to under go changes now that school is out.

Well happy reading this essay everyone!

4. SteelLepp

SteelLepp Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 1, 1998
    I already blabbered about my TIE Pilot costume in my thread :p

After I finish the Pilot, I think I'm gonna work on a Qui-Gonn costume & then maybe a stormtrooper or clone trooper. My ultimate goal is to build a Darth Vader.

Steve

5. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Well, I love the idea for a costuming thread. I knew it was coming sooner or later! ;)

Well, as you all have your projects, I haven't made a single costume or prop for SW at all. I don't have the cash, and time is usually of the essense as well. :(

My dream project: Get $, make a Jedi Robe, like Obi-Wan Kenobi's in TPM, but maybe in black. Also, I want to make a lightsaber as well.

That costuming link above was AWESOME!! Lots of info.

6. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    The one thing I've noticed in making my TIE. If time isn't a major factor (like I want to get it done b4 summer hits. but C3 is the ultimate timeframe), then the cost portion of the the costume can be spread out pretty well. I've been seriously working on this thing since December and have a pretty good budgetary, but flexible, plan in place to get the stuff I need & work on it as I find the time. I would say I've had the bucket since Feb and am just now getting ready to finish it off.

Heck, the more costumers in STL we can get the better :D

Steve

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I think we're getting more bit by bit. JCF, just as SL said spread it out over time and do it. Though sometimes it is nice to drop a chunk of money and just have everything. Like that ever happens.

8. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    If you guys get serious about doing some vacu-forming stormtrooper armor, let me know, I'll help out in any way I can, be it financially or with man hours.

Bringing up the idea of stormtrooper armor... Perhaps an idea would be to have everyone that wants some donate a portion of the cost it would take to make one good mold, build a vacuform table and whatever else, and then everyone get a set off the mold. Instant 501st for everyone in the group.

Only problem is that everyone here is a slightly different size. But I could see it working.

Anyone else interested?

9. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    I'd be interested in the vacu-forming idea (I still need some armor for my TIE).

10. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    Interested!

11. dudeman

dudeman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    i dont think that is a bad idea, but how much do you think it would cost? maybe just a guestimation for now, but any price range would work

12. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I think we're getting more bit by bit. JCF, just as SL said spread it out over time and do it. Though sometimes it is nice to drop a chunk of money and just have everything. Like that ever happens.

Well, I think that I would have to find a good seamstress, probably someone from Faire would be willing to help out possibly. I mean, I don't know all that much about making Jedi robes, there is probably more to it than I would think. Aaugh, it's probably going to be years until I find the right material...

Well, I shall start looking at various stores now like Michaels or JoAnnes for fabric. ;)

13. dudeman

Jun 19, 2002
    dajuan, could you possibly make me a costume for underneath the actual overcoat/robe thing? you know like the brown thing that quigon wears? well the stuff underneath is what i need. i would definately pay all the exspenses for the materials and stuff, i would just need an under...robe...thing please.

14. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    i dont think that is a bad idea, but how much do you think it would cost?

I've heard that making a full suit costs around $800-$1000 so if we had several of us and used one mold, we could probably get it down to ~$300 each if we had at least 4 people in on it.

15. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    I don't think MAKING a suit of armor costs that much, although buying one can. You can buy styrene for $25-50 a sheet. Most of the expense in vacu-forming, at least at the start, is in building/getting a table & making your molds. I've seen a couple of webpages (although I'd have to go find them again) where you can build a decent table for "relatively" inexpensive (shop vacs aren't all that cheap, but you know). And unless you are experienced at it, you can go through a few sheets of plastic to get the pull right.

16. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    It's building the mold to make the pulls from that gets expensive since to get a mold that will last for more than one or two pulls will require fiberglass.

17. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    dudeman, I'd be happy to help. I'll need your measurements sometime soon and we'll make a trip to the cloth store. When do you need them by? If it's for the movie, we'll hae to move fast.

Also JCF I'd be happy to help you if you want. I've created Jedi robes before, twice, and it looks like I will again. If you and dudeman want them at the same time all the better. Just do what I told him.

18. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm in, and I have a shop vac. We should probably get together and work this out.

Yama had an idea of us hosting workshop days to teach each other costuming, probs, make-up ect. I think it's a great idea, and I'm willing to host a cloth shop. We could do a set of jedi robes or something relatively easy like that.

Interested? Volunteers?

19. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    When it comes to getting myself a set of stormtrooper armor, I am in for just about anything.

20. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Well we just need to name a date to get together, several actually.

Let me re-cap who is interested in contributing time and money:
    Yama
    VoijaRisa
    Shoey
    Jedi Dajuan
    Randy
    JCF
    dudeman
    yodaismygod
    SteelLepp

I count 9, I miss anyone?

21. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    I can teach a saber making class.

22. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    I'd be interested in the stormtroopers costume

Totally changing the subject.
    For Halloween, me and one of my fraternity brothers are going to be the MacManus Brothers from the Boondock Saints (one of the best movies ever)

Anyway, it should be a very simple costume. Jeans, plain black shirt, temporary tattoos...
    The only difficult thing will be the jacket they both wear.
    Here they sell it on the official site, but I don't want to spend $129 + shipping on something I'm going to hardly wear. Do you guys think it would be easier to make one, or to go to every goodwill and salvation army in the st. louis area looking for one? I don't really know what kind of material it would require, but it doesn't look that complicated to make.
    Also, where would I go about getting a cheap rosary that looks like these ones?
    Any suggestions?

23. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I can teach a saber making class.

That would be very interesting! :)

24. dudeman

Jun 19, 2002
    wow jon, you must have esp or something! i was just curious as to how i might make my own saber. id be into that.

the teachuing eachother costuming and stuff sounds cool as well, when do we start

25. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Brian, I think searching thrift stores would be a good start. Those will be hard to make from scratch.

I'm always ready on weekends to do a tutorial. I could do mine June 5th/6th, or 12th/13th. Man we are going to have a busy summer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.