main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spring, MO StL's Official Costuming thread!!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Dajuan, May 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Tim- Man I tried to make a lightsaber look like a beer on here just couldn't do it sorry. You serious?

Jon- If I says he is he will.

Alright to those who want costumes for the movie or otherwise and cannot make it this Saturday I need the following:
    *Picture or good description of what you are looking for
    *about $50 cash, I will give you back the extra or request more as needed. I will save receipts if necessary.
    *Measurements:
    **Height
    **Weight (sorry I really need it)
    **Waist at belly button
    **chest at (ahem) nipple level
    **top of sholder to tip of middle finger
    **Throat to belly button
    **Hips at hip bone

These may seem anal, but to make sure things will fit right I need all of these. I hate to have to change things after the fact. I will charge you good people absolutely no labor, just materials. We can always get together at a later date to have me teach you all about sewing, we just need to get moving for the movie. If everyone is agreeable to this let me know.

2. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    hops and barley theme

Not sure what you mean by that. Just the color scheme? or did you want yours shaped like a very thin mug of beer with foam at the top?

Whatever it is, once I have a better picture in my mind, I can start figuring out what to use for pieces and give you a total. I've made some sabers as little as $10. Others have cost closer to $30. Just depends on how fancy you want it and if I need to find parts I don't already have.

3. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    Thin mug of beer with foam at the top? Interesting.

I was actually thinking of getting some small hops and barley (grains? don't know if stalks would work) and figuring out some way to use them as ornamentation on a more traditional-looking saber handle.

Got an idea for a "bronzing process" that wouldn't require me to really "bronze" the buggers?

Altough, actually bronzing them would probably give them added strength and they wouldn't wither and rot over time.

I don't know - what do you think?

4. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Coating them in a few layers of metallic bronze spray paint and then several layers of laquer would probably work well.

5. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    Excellent idea!

6. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Who ever is coming on Saturday, I will serve lagansna (sp?) and afterward we can go see Troy. I know both Jon and Eric wanted to see it. This is going to be a costuming good time!

7. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Perhaps Troy somewhere in the middle and that way we can discuss the costumes afterwards?

8. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I was thinking: 12:30-4 or so Costuming, eat after that, then see Troy. But we can do it in whatever order. I will make the pasta tonight and freeze it and we can pop it in an hour before we're ready to eat.

9. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    So where are we on the Stormtrooper thing? Haven't heard from Yama's group in a while.

10. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Note to self before I forget...

Talked to person about where to find plasticine clay in 20lbs+ amounts. Told to go to Dick (Something-that-rhymed-with-dick)'s. There's 3 of them in St. Louis. One is on Olive and Madison. Or something like that... yeah....

11. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
  12. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Yeah I use Padawan's Guide a lot, along with Obi Wan's Jedi Academy. Both have good tutorials and reference photos. Thanks though JCF!

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I can't remember if I've mentioned it much, but I am in the process of creating the two ANH Leia gowns. Currently I've done no work on the cloth parts themselves, but my belt is just about done. Our very own DarthTrader created the metal pieces and attached it to the leather. I still cannot believe he created all of this:

[image=http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v239/JediDajuan/Star%20Wars/costuming/Leiabelt.jpg]
    [image=http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v239/JediDajuan/Star%20Wars/costuming/leiabelteric.jpg]
    The creator himself
    [image=http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v239/JediDajuan/Star%20Wars/costuming/leiabeltdajuan.jpg]
    Me with my belt

I swear this is the best belt since the one Carrie Fisher herself wore!

14. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    So yeah, wher are we on the stormtrooper armor? I ask because I finally have some money to spend.

15. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Looks like that project (along with almost every other of my summer projects) has gotten scrapped for me.

I'll have to really look and see how much $$ I'm going to be having but I probably won't have near enough. :(

And I know Dajuan is poor too.

16. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Yes Dajuan is very poor, breaking the car does that to you.

I still want to do this, but we never can get everyone together to talk about times to work on it. I'm starting to like Tim's idea of bulk ordering the suits from someone and seeing if we can get a deal that way.

Thoughts?

17. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
  18. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Bumping to renew interest. Who's with us on this stormtrooper costume? After seeing the Ep III trailer I'm hyped!

19. yodaismygod

Jun 25, 2002
    Right here.

20. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    So right now it's:
    John
    Randy
    Dajuan
    Jon

Anyone else?

21. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    What would this consist of?

22. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Coming to Jon's house, helping with the construction and a couple hundred, bout $300-ish. Not all at once, but in parts.

23. yodaismygod

Jun 25, 2002
    Ummm, correct me if I'm wrong but the $300 would just be for the plastic part, not including the undersuit and boots, right?

24. SteelLepp

SteelLepp Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 1, 1998
    Yeah, just for the plastic (and "pre-molding" stuff) to build the armor itself, everything else (including the helmet) is extra from that.

I still want to, but with C3 around the corner, I don't think I'll have the extra cash for it. I'll have to see as the winter progresses.

Steel

25. yodaismygod

Jun 25, 2002
    Yeah, uh, ouch. Do we by chance know anybody in the 501 that might be able to make us that? I just noticed, I guess with Ep 3 coming out all the sets on ebay just went up quite a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.