main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stranger in a Strange Land - Part 7 - Our Time Has Come - UPDATE 5/2 - Chapter 16

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Whiskey in the Jar-Jar, Dec 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Grand_Admiral_Jaxx Jedi Master star 5

Dec 23, 2000
    Jastro! Daddy!

:eek:

Talk about a family that needs help!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

:D

2. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! And that Santa brought you everything you wanted.

Although a post here would be good too! ;)

3. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    UP THE IRONS!

4. Rokangus

Rokangus Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 18, 2000
    DRAGON PUNT!!!

5. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Whiskey in the Jar-Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2000
    Rok: Well, the relaxation was definitely there, but time to write and post was in rather short supply. Heck, with my holidays nearly over, I might be able to get back on track ;)

Jaxx: The Corvains...putting the FUN in dysfunctional :p

Mouse: HO HO HO! MERRY POSTMAS :p :p :p

Rok & Casper: Anime attack moves? Cool. :D

---------------------------------------------

Chapter 2 ? Have a Ball?Bring the Kids!

Planet Naboo ? Home of the New Jedi Order

?Warning, transit shuttle arriving at gate 4. All personnel prepare for arrival. Repeat, transit shuttle arriving at gate 4. All personnel prepare for arrival.?

The computerized voice of the Theed transit station was monotone at best, but to those responsible for arriving shuttles from the other major centres on Naboo it was akin to a battle cry. Well, that?s what it appeared like as workers scrambled to both clear the area around landing pad number four and prepare gantries and baggage checkstops for the incoming crowd.

Some would see the discipline of this place as overbearing and unnecessary, but the past two years on Naboo had been anything but dull. The Theed Palace had reported no less than a dozen would-be saboteurs of varying loyalties trying to plant explosives or incite rioting amongst the guilds in the capital. Many were from the Republic but the odd one apparently still held fast to Terin Corvain?s ideals and saw a strike against Naboo as justified vengeance for their leader?s arrest.

The population of Naboo was also fast learning that the Jedi were far from infallible, for the Force didn?t always detect the intentions of a would-be assassin or suicide bomber. Instead, it was the sharp eyes of the Academy guards, as well as the security checkpoints around all the major urban centres that kept all the years of rebuilding from going to waste at the hands of some fanatic.

As the transit shuttle ? a stripped down ex-Imperial Landing Craft ? touched down on the landing pad, the crews went to work immediately, securing the ship and assisting the passengers as they began to debark. For many of the ground crew, the incoming shuttles from the Academy were a mixed blessing, primarily because while Jedi Knights were polite, they could be rather arrogant at times too.

Ah, the price of progress.

Han Solo stepped off the shuttle and took a moment to scan the surrounding area. The passenger count on the flight in had been rather low this time so the bustle around the craft was caused more by the landing and customs officers than it was by the actual arrivals. He let a thin smile grace his lips upon realizing that his time in customs would be a breeze.

?Hey,? spoke a voice behind him. ?You gonna get off or admire the scenery??

?Well,? he said to Leia, to whom the voice belonged, ?the scenery?s not so oof!? No matter his age or his love for his wife, Han Solo was still vulnerable to the ever-popular wife?s elbow in the ribs for being a smart aleck. Sheepishly he descended the gangplank to the landing pad, followed by Leia and their children?as well as several others.

After being knighted by Luke Skywalker over two years ago, the Solo children had taken some time to acclimate to their new status as Jedi Knights within the Academy. They had all been assigned their own living quarters, as well as more freedom around and away from the Academy.

Such freedom was something Jaina Solo had taken full advantage of. No longer part of Rogue Squadron, the Jedi still felt the urge to soar amongst the stars, and offered her services to help form a starfighter combat group within the Naboo militia. Over the past two years, many would-be pilots had signed up and through processes of elimination and rigorous testing two squadrons had been formed. Of course, their ships were a mixed bunch?namely refurbished Y-Wings and a few T-Wings, as well as one or two Z-95 Headhunters. It was by no means a match for the starfighters in the two main super-powers in the galaxy, but

6. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Ooooohh!! So what is Lando up too? And why does he want to see everyone?

It's wonderful to see that all the Rogues were chosen as padawans!

Fabulous Whiskey! Now my Christmas is complete! ;)

7. Rokangus

Oct 18, 2000
    CORVAIN!!! That was the name! Okay, now that's settled I can rest a little easier at night. ;)

Sweet, the Smooth-Master Lando has arrived. :D Can't wait to see what the old scoundrel has been up to.

I enjoyed the scenes with the new Knights and their respective padawans. The rogue talents definetly have a wealth of wisdom and experience to learn from their masters.

Great job Whiskey, can't wait to see what'll come next!

8. Rokangus

Oct 18, 2000
    Derned double post. I hate repeating myself. :p

9. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Everyone tensed momentarily as the beaded curtains were drawn open...

Yeah, for once no one bad is behind the curtain/door/imaginary wall.

Wait....it's Lando. [face_laugh]

Nice to have that in there Whiskey. It makes the post more than retrospective.

10. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Dec 23, 2000
    Lando :D

I love that guy :)

Interesting how you set up opposite personalities with master/padawan thingamajig.

Then again, opposites attract, and the largest recipe for disaster is like minded people (for example, nobody eats Peanut butter and Peanut butter, they'll have PB&J! :D )

11. Rokangus

Oct 18, 2000
    SURGE!!!

12. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    Mouse: Glad you liked the post :D Hopefully I can keep the momentum going as my schedule returns to normal next week.

Rok: Lessee, we've got Corvain, Lando, Jastro...can it possibly get any worse? To quote SCSA: HELL YEAH! ;)

Casper: Just my way to give the story a bit more substance. I'm hoping to put a lot of back-stuff in this one to round it out nicely. Humph...this is what I get for looking for the name 'Morgoth' and how it relates to LOTR. Oye.

Jaxx & Rok: I think placing seemingly opposites together in a Master/Padawan environment is a mutually beneficial experience. Just because a Knight becomes a Master doesn't mean the learning experience ends for them.

Plus, I think it deepens the bond between the two of them if the learning is two-way. That way, the Padawan feels like he's not just following his/her Master around and saying nothing more than 'Yes, Master.' all the time.

Of course, with Tahiri/Feslira and Jaina/Shon, it's a little different, since each pair has had a set of similar experiences in thier lives. For Tahiri, her brainwashing gave her a bit of insight into the Vong way of things, and could be useful should something...happen...to Feslira in the future (oops, did I say that out loud? ;) )

Then of course we have Shon and Jaina, both with enough exposure to the Dark Side to make them potential Dark Jedi. Hopefully they'll be able to keep each other on the right side of the tracks for now.

Thanks for all the feedback. More coming soon.

13. Djuva

Djuva Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2000

We're all here.

Oh, I liked that one, as well as the Jedi being polite but sometimes also pretty arrogant. Yep, right on track! Great master and padawan teams there, infighting and trouble is preprogrammed :D

Great start, btw!

14. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    Thanks for the FB, Djuva. As far as the Jedi being arrogant, I think back to Qui-Gon's rather dismissive approach to everything. I mean, would it have hurt him to be nice once in a while? Oh well.

A bit more for all of you.

----------------------------------------------

?Forever the smoothie,? noted Leia with a smile. ?It?s been a long time, Lando. What brings you to Naboo??

?Just thought I?d drop in and see some old friends,? replied the former smuggler. ?I was heading back to Bespin from Duro and figured I?d make a stop here.?

?A bit out of the way,? noted Han, recalling his navigation. Duro was, like the gaseous world of Bespin, along the Corellian Trade Spine?a very long ways away from Naboo. Plus, it wasn?t like Lando to just ?drop in? unannounced, especially if he was heading back to Bespin. ?It?s appreciated, make no mistake,? said Han. ?Just a bit curious, that?s all.?

?Well,? said Lando, ?I haven?t had the chance to see your kids since they became Knights, and from the looks of them, Masters too.? He acknowledged the four unfamiliar faces accompanying the Solo family. ?Good thing I ordered extra caf.?

Jacen suddenly felt a flash of cold wash over him like a blast of ice mist. Had he not grown so used to it, he would have suspected something bad was afoot. Instead, he merely shot a glare at his Padawan, who was staring at Lando intensely.

// Mind your manners, Padawan, // he silently projected. // Lando?s a friend, not someone out to get you. //

// Then ask him about what he?s carrying in his tunic pocket, // rebutted Ryn. // And why every time he thinks of it his heart rate jumps up a bit. //

// Your prying into people?s minds is going to get you into trouble one day, Ryn, // scolded Jacen.

Ryn grew silent, knowing full well that he was not up for another of his Master?s lectures on protocol and manners amongst the Jedi ranks. Even if he decided to inform Jacen that the feeling had struck Ryn the moment they?d all entered the room and that he was basically innocent of any deliberate prying, it would do no good. Best to drop it now and pursue it at a later time.

However, the feelings weren?t just limited to Ryn?s senses, for Shon also picked up on Lando?s shifting demeanour. However, he made no move to give away his realization, nor did he silently confer with his Master, as Ryn and Jacen were no doubt doing. Poor Speks?A student of the Jedi arts and still unable to fully shield those intense feelings of his.

Han swished the caf around in his mouth, savouring the flavour of it as though it were some rare blend. In fact, it was rare?very rare and expensive. It was a blend of beans that came from the planet Alderaan, supposedly picked by the famed caf harvester Van Haldaz. The fact that any of it was left in the galaxy was nothing short of a miracle, as a mere kilo of it was worth more than Han once owed to Jabba the Hutt.

He didn?t need to see Ryn?s look, or Shon?s seemingly arrogant ignorance to know that this was more than a mere social call.

Lando wanted something.

?So,? said Lando. ?How?s Dalan doing these days??

?Busy as ever,? replied Leia. ?He?s still called in to negotiate with suppliers, as well as training rogue talents for the Academy.?

?Where is he??

?He was invited to some gathering for Grand Admiral Pellaeon?s official retirement,? replied the princess turned Jedi. ?I guess the Admiral wanted to speak with him on somewhat friendlier terms than before.?

?Triel went with him too, lucky girl,? said Shon. ?She?ll be free from classes for at least a couple of weeks.?

?A perfect opportunity for you to exceed her in classes,? chimed Jaina. ?Assuming of course you actually study for a change.? A few chuckles rose up from the small jab at Shon?s ego.

?Ok, old buddy,? said Han, finishing his caf. ?It?s good to see you, and the caf was great.?

?But??

?You mind telling me what kind of debt we all owe you for sharing a pot of Alderaan Gold with us??

Lando exhaled softly a

15. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Ryn must have panic coniptions when no one is looking every night before he goes to bed; wondering who's under the bed tonight. ;)

Ah yes: Jedi Arrogance; forgot to mention that. Good pick up, Djuva. :)

Let's see if the doohickey can fit in whatever figgamajig Theed may have in its storage shed of science. ;)

FORWARD for The Promised Future! YES! YESSSS!!!!!! Di lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Rokangus

Oct 18, 2000
    Aye, tis sweet to see Di-Lee's work finding a permanent home! Man, I miss that story...and it was at such a critical scene too! :_|

Yupp, from the minute Ryn noticed something in Lando's pocket, I figured the ol' gambler had a favor to ask. I wonder what's on that little crystal thingie. Could be anything from the Publisher's House Clearing Prize to the plans for whatever the Imps are up to.

Or...maybe it has nothing to do with the Imps at all...but some other foe. Yar, I hate mysteries. :p Can't wait for this one to be solved!!

17. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Good try Lando. You can't hide something when in a room full of Jedi and Han.

Then again he came to the right place to look for an answer. ALthough I am curious as to who is right about it, Shon or Ryn?

Ooohh!! I'm going to have to head over and check ot Di-Lee's The Promised Future! :D :D

18. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Dec 23, 2000
    lest we forget, lando is a GOOD guy...

Interesting... I don't like whatever it is he has found...

19. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    Casper: Theed's just full of surprises, but this one actually makes sense ;)

Rok: Maybe Lando's already won 10 mil in the Corellian Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes :p

Mouse: But Lando's the smoothie...he can get by anything, right? ;)

Jaxx: Well, if he found something good, there wouldn't be much of a story :p

Just FYI, Di-Lee gave me I believe 22 chapters worth of TPF to post at TDG. However, converting it from DOC to HTM, while not overly hard, is a bit time consuming especially in the formatting department. I'm hoping to have the rest up this weekend. We'll see.

I'm also looking to host other stories as well that don't have a website of their own to call home (hint hint TOTF ;) ;) ). Here's hoping.

Hokay, more story...

Though a backwater planet in the eyes of the galaxy, Naboo actually had one unique quality over which the highest ranks of Republic Intelligence would fight over were it ever made public.

When Garm Lebanski and his siege force attacked Naboo some three or more years ago, they brought with them defences, troops, ships, vehicles, and computer equipment?all Imperial issue. They had, of course, taken for granted the fact that Naboo would be under their absolute control, and that their technology was as safe here as if it were back in Remnant space. Of course, this assumption was quickly flushed down the ?fresher the moment Dalan and the Jedi arrived in Theed with a host of angered Gungans and Horansi in tow.

Grand Admiral Pellaeon had either forgotten about the equipment in the Theed Palace, or assumed it would be destroyed as a gesture of cleansing on the part of the people of Naboo. However, the communications gear and other hardware components were merely integrated into Theed?s budding central computer core, adding to its collective power.

Ryn ascended the steps of the palace rather quickly and was followed by the others. He spoke shortly with one of the guards beside the main doors before being bid passage within. The others made their way in as well and tried to catch up to Ryn, who was moving at a rather brisk pace.

After several turns and hallways, Ryn arrived at his destination: One of the many audience halls contained in the palace. In the ancient times, kings and queens would hold court in this or one of the other halls, depending on things like season or religious holiday. This particular room was rumoured to be the very one where Queen Amidala was found by the Trade Federation when they came for her almost a century ago. In this age of gubernatorial rule instead of an elected monarchy, these audience halls were now little more than giant conference rooms, where strategists mapped out their plans for either fiscal or political gains.

?How would Ryn know of this device?? asked Jaina of Shon, whose concern for his friend was becoming more and more prevalent in his mind.

?Wish I knew, Master,? replied Shon. ?I know his parents were part of Republic Intelligence, but he never went into too much detail about that.?

?Then why are you hiding something?? asked Jaina to herself. Shon was a terrible liar, especially to the one with whom he now shared a training bond. She did not pry into it, however. She knew the day she asked Shon to be her Padawan that things like this would pop up eventually?partially because of Dalan?s training them to always be ready to solve their own problems. This was her test, it seemed: To weather the independent nature of her Padawan but at the same time instil in him the sense that going it alone isn?t always the best way.

?Just as I thought,? said Ryn. ?The terminal here is of the right format.? He inserted the data crystal and, after activating the terminal, waited for it to scan the lattices in the object and decipher its contents.

The rogue talent?s brow furrowed slightly as a myriad of garbled messages filled the tiny screen on the console. ?This data?s encrypted

20. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
  21. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Yikes! :eek:

Something that big overlooked? Not good. Definately not good if.... :eek:

Very interesting.

As for the link: YeeeeeeeeeeeeAAAAAHHHHH!!!! :D

22. Rokangus

Oct 18, 2000
    This was the final jewel in the Emperor?s crown?

Heh...fitting that the thing would be stored in a crystal. Well you have to hand it to the Imperials, they really know how to make a statement.

Be it metaphorical symbology or big-arse superweapons, yupp they know how to make those statements. Jeez, this ain't gonna go over very well. :eek:

23. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Dec 23, 2000
    What if it ISN'T the Imps that have it? Just a thought... If the Imps do have it, there's cause for concern... but what if some stupid warlord has it? or something?

As for TOTF being online, it WILL happen! However, we are slightly modifying as we go along, and we have a friend who said he'd build us a website. So we'll see what happens.

First thing is we want to finish DK before it happens. I'd say we're getting closer to the end. About 3/4 the way through.

24. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
  25. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Yes, Lando's the smoothie. Just look at all those commercials he did. ;)

Lookie lookie what Ryn found! But now the question is what are they going to be able to do with this info. I mean if the Imps don't have it, do you really want to tell them about it??

Looking for more Whiskey! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.