main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Suggestions for the FF/JC party

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I know one downside to that is that we want people to mingle and socialize, not just stick with their internet cliques. It's not a bad idea, though.

2. NarCranor

NarCranor Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 1, 2005
    I think most people have an interest in more than one area. But I think this will promote more mingling, because otherwise I think you are more apt to just stay with the people you walked in the door with (presumably most people go to conventions like this with friends or family), rather than introducing yourself. This might maximize chances of bumping into someone you do know, or at least making a new friend who is into the same sub-culture of fandom you are. Just something to consider is all.

I def think having a dedicated thread on here like, LIVE during the party to sort of sign in like a guest book is a good idea too. Most of us have smart phones, so if we all made it a thing to check in when we arrived, you might at least know you have a forum buddy there so you know to look for him or something. Maybe twitter might be better? If you have it run on a screen, it'd be like when you go to a party and you get announced, except you'd be announcing yourself, over twitter.

3. ANGRY_LEIA

ANGRY_LEIA Jedi Master star 1

May 15, 2002
    I had a great time at the party, thanks to everyone's hard work at putting it together!

The raffle was particularly fun for me...I wanted EVERYTHING, hahaha! I got there late so missed the band/food...met a lot of folks who hang out on Force.Net, which was very nice. I think NarCranor has a great idea with the electronic check-in via Twitter, etc. I'm just now getting back on Facebook, and don't use Twitter, but do have an iPhone and something like this would really make things more fun. See who's already here, who's just now walking in.

Keep up the great work, looking so forward to next year, woot! :)

Martha

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Please NO 'manned tables' at the party - Save that kind of 'meet and greet for the actual convention table (which would actually be cool - sign-ups of "Meet so and so of Fan fiction fame at the JCC table at X time" or "YJCC - Mostly Harmless! Between X and X time") - Hell, I'd LOVE to be part of THAT kind of table manning) -

You want people to mingle? Do some silly party games - in party scavenger hunts - Hell, why not a 'Paper message board' where you have a large pad of paper on an easel, some markers, and people WRITE as if they were on line -

Checking In:

:) << Darth Breezy Says - Yes, I am here!

- - - - -
    - - - - << Is not

Etc.....

5. ANGRY_LEIA

ANGRY_LEIA Jedi Master star 1

May 15, 2002
    I LOVE this idea!

Martha

6. Photo-Knight

Photo-Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 9, 2007
    The paper message board sounds fun. Actually write a note? It's been so long, I'm going to have to google the instructions for how to turn on my pencil.

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Actually I think the best part of that is that the mods will have to have colored sharpies and keep monitoring and editing it. [face_laugh]

8. Grog_StarKiller2

Grog_StarKiller2 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2007
    I really think a DJ would be better, the Band last time was way to loud and annoying. Loved the raffle since I won 2 tix to the last tour to Endor at Disney. That's all I got for now.

9. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I loved the concept of a live band, but rock music in a space that size just didn't work out as well as I had hoped. A drum shield and better sound setup probably could have improved things drastically, but yeah, I don't know that we'll do a live band again.

10. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

11. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    So, how about white boards so we can 'post' our comments at the party. Some of us can be communication-challenged in geeky-person. ;)[face_whistling] Or maybe just computer screens and keyboards.

12. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Whiteboards wouldn't be AS fun as the paper - after all, one good swipe and it's gone - paper means it's THERE, (colored marker and all) and a computer defeats the purpose.

13. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Paper on large pads with colored felt pens would work. And would be much cheaper than getting computer screens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.