main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Technical Issue - Daylight Savings Switchover

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Dingo, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Placing this up ahead of time-ish.

When the clock on the board server automatically switches from 2am to 1am (US Pacific Standard Time) for DST there will be a problem with posting for some users. If at any point in time you have posted between the hours of 1am and 2am you will be unable to post until 1 minute past the time of your latest post during that time period. This is an unfortunate side effect that cannot be helped.

You will still be able to PM other users, just not post. If there are any problems or issues, please feel free to contact an online moderator.

Edit: Fixing times.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Thanks for the heads-up, Dingo!

3. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I also had to change my time zome to Nuku'alofa (+13 GMT) to compensate. I didn't even know that was a place!

4. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    This is why I leave the boards on PST.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I do as well. I just got used to it being that way when we weren't able to change the time zones.

Edit - NukuAlofa.

6. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I had to change mine too, to "Magadan, Solomon Is., New Caledonia" - and this is after already changing it last month when Australia's time changed. Grr, etc.

Leave it on PST? But that would leave an entire board feature unused! :p

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Move to a real country (by which I mean the USA). :p

I used to always, as a general rule, stay on board time. But now that I've moved, I can't. It's so very sad. I feel like a traitor. :(

8. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Yeah, I had problems with oppm. Said I needed to wait well over 1000 seconds to post, at least when my Time Zone is set to Arizona Time (where I am).

The Nuku'alofa fix didn't work for me, so I simply had to wait.

This is why oppm = impractical.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Absolutely. We should toss it out because it gives problems once a year.

10. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Well, to be honest, I've seen post time limiters on VBulletin (which is the software the boards are moving to) that didn't experience any problems with DST. So maybe it won't be as bad once we move. I've also seen an add-on for VBulletin that merges double posts, but that's unrelated.

11. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    There are some people around the internet crying because the change means they have to wait an extra hour till Call of Duty Black Ops is released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.