main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    What's indefensible is your misunderstanding of the nature of superhero cinema -- indeed the core conceit of superhero mythology itself. It's pulp. No one (except, I guess, you) is looking for fact-based science in Spider-Man comics... or movies. It's a theater of ideas. In this case: What if splicing reptile genes into one's DNA in order to re-grow one's arm caused one to become a homicidal maniac with delusions of reptilian supremacy? Cue battle with hero. Have you ever read a comic book?

Yes, of course! Seeking to bring a murderer to justice and deny him the potential to murder others is selfish, self-serving, self-serving and deserving of the label "very much a jerk". The scales are peeled back from our eyes. o_O

Your effort to hand-wave away the whole "saving some civilians" thing (which entirely undermines your position) is admirable. Oh wait, no! -- it's not admirable, it's disingenuous and transparently self-contradictory. Saving the kid in the dangling vehicle -- and all the other occupants of all the other dangling vehicles -- is (in case you missed this) heroic and decidedly unselfish, despite your bizarre attempt to convince us it's self-serving and jerkish.

Also, if by "in a way he didn't like" you mean "murderously and with the intent of turning humanity into reptilezes" then yes, absolutely, that was self-serving. Except, of course, that it served others, so no, it wasn't. You're 0 for 3 here.

Except the parts that you pretended don't exist. We've all seen the movie, and as you might have noticed, no one here is agreeing with you or rushing to defend your bewildering ideas about what constitutes heroism or its inverse.

Naah, he's right there up on the screen and I love him for it.

2. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    First look at the new costume design:
    [​IMG]

I gotta say it looks strangely similar to the Raimi series costume. Probably in response to so much hate over the previous film's costume. I do think the larger eyes are a marked improvement.

EDIT: Changed image source. Should be working now.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ummmm?

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^It works if you drag it to a new tab.

5. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Better now?

6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Yeah, that's sorted it.

For what it's worth, I never had a problem with TAS costume eyes, just the unnecessary changes to the gloves and belt area.

7. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    His eyes look closer to the comic books and cartoons now. But honestly, I had just gotten used to the new suit. I didn't like the change at the start. But over time I had come to prefer this to the Raimi suit, and then they change it back. I can't win. :p

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  8. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Totally agree Life. The new suit had really grown on me in the homemade aspect of it (actually showing us where he got the materials, what they looked like before). And the lenses being sunglasses thing.

This is certainly more inline with the classic Spider-Man look. Definitely not the same look as Raimi's, but closer to both that and the Classic.

I like it, but I did also like the AMS one.

9. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Not as goofy as I thought it would look.

10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I think the suit was the last problem with the last movie.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I really like the new eyes.

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Eyes are perfect.

13. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Those eyes look more like the comics than anything that's been attempted in any of the movies yet. I really like them.

14. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Second best?
    [​IMG]

15. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    That TV show was hilarious. I can still see the cables moving against the wall while Spidey was climbing.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The eyes actually look great on the new costume

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I assume the eyes are some kind of mesh as opposed to the tinted lenses of the previous movies. Enough for Garfield to be able to see but also to obscure his eyes from the outside.

(spoiler highlighted for those who do not wish to see on-set images)

17. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
  18. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I love it! The entire new costume looks more like the classic John Romita (Sr)-era Spidey than any version previously realized on film. Not just the rounded, white-lensed eyes but the thalo blue suit, with the red belt and the glove length, per the on-set pics SithLordDarthRichie posted. It looks phenomenal, can't wait to see it in action.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Do you ever have anything bad or critical to say, ever, about any franchise you like? :p

Bacon164 likes this.
  20. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    You haven't been paying attention! On the previous page of this very thread, I criticized the Lizard for meandering around the sewers aimlessly during several minutes of precious screen-time.

Other than that, no. ;)

21. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    that new costume totally looks like the Raimi version...which is in itself > TAS's version

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    As others have said, the eye pieces on the new costume look great.

The saving civilians point is not contradictory at all. When he did it, they were clearly in danger, he was available to help, and doing so put him in no additional risk outside what he was already doing. Those are the optimal circumstances for helping someone, and there are very few people that wouldn't. That doesn't make him a hero. It makes him human enough to avoid being case study for some sociologist about how soulless and indifferent modern society has made us. A hero would, in my opinion, go out of his way to help others, even if it was of no particular benefit (or, indeed, brought harm) to him to do so. Parker never really makes those sort of choices in the new Spiderman film.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  23. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Well I certainly can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly know that *I* try to rescue kids from flaming cars dangling off major bridges on a daily basis.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Seems like most people in this country these days would just stand around nearby and film it on their phone :p

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well, I think this is a really interesting point that branches out quite widely from this whole specific discussion. What do you guys consider the nature of heroism to be?

I will readily acknowledge that neither of us would rescue people from flaming, teetering vehicles. But I don't think the fact that Spiderman did so makes him heroic. He has a skill set that is uniquely suited to doing so without (comparably) much effort on his part. It is nice of him to use that skill set, and even commendable, but I don't think it rises to the level of heroism. Heroism should mean something more than simply doing something than another person can't. I don't believe an ER doctor is more "heroic" than the ambulance driver or nurse just because he has a wider skill set for dealing with an injured person. Bringing more skills to bear should be part of the definition, but I don't think it can be the whole thing.