main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Black Lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by andalite, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andalite

andalite Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2002
    Where is the thread that shows various renditions of the black lightsaber? I've looked through 30 pages and havn't found it.

2. Lyrael

Lyrael Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    Black lightsaber? who came up with that ide? Because its impossible, You cant use lights to make a room totaly dark just doesnt work light cant be black, therefore a lightsaber cant be "black". The blade is always white with a colored aura.

3. Digital_LlamaCH

Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2001
    That doesn't mean people haven't tried... and believe me, they have...

...i'd point you towards the thread but i don't think i could find it, either. Sorry.

-Chris

4. Shadoe42

Shadoe42 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    There have been several reditions of the "dark saber" done in AlamDV...might check there page.
    www.alamdv.com look in the plugins section.

As to how they did it...looks like a purplish blade with glow...basically a blacklight... also one that has a black blade...

5. scudknight

scudknight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2000
    I remember a test someone put out of a black glow with purple core. :)

I've tried chrome myself to no success......

6. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Okay, when I wield a lightsaber--and I will--it's gonna be orange. There aren't enough orange lightsabers in fan films...

7. Digital_LlamaCH

Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2001
    Orange lightsaber... hrm... with Mace Windu, Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul, you could have your very own Power Ranger Jedi, RocketGirl! :)

-Chris

8. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    They talked about black lightsabers in a thread about White Lightsabers.

9. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
  10. Desann2002

Desann2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    personally, since me and my team went to see EP2, i've had nothin but "Can Kyle have a purple light saber" so one has purple and one has a yellowy orange. The 2 (and yes there are 2, but no double bladed sabers in this film :D ) Sith have Red.

11. The-Matt-Man

The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Why can't we defy physics once in a while, a black lightsaber the kind of takes up negative light might be cool depending on how the effect looks. I wouldn't call it impossible even though it is believed to be physically impossible. Think about it, Lightsabers, lasers, they're chunks of solid light flying around, that's pretty impossible.

-Matt

12. SPAWNmaster

SPAWNmaster Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    actually no it is possible since quantized photonic particles dont travel in "groups" or whatever you said it's all about charges and just remember that a lightsaber isnt made of light in the first place, it's the by-product of crystal light charged with certain energy frequencies which forms a loop (because of the + and - charges at the hilt) that is so tight that essentially it makes it look like 1 beam...btw i got the sw related info from the aotc dat banks at www.starwars.com

13. ThreeDee

ThreeDee Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2000
    I just had a thought. If you actually did have a black lightsaber (theoretically of course :)), it would work REALLY, REALLY well, because out of all that energy that flies from the hilt, none of it is wasted by being converted into light. It all goes into the cutting power.

14. swmaster

swmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    A lightsaber is just an arc of energy. It goes out at the core and loops back on itself for the glow. If a lightsaber were completely efficient it wouln't give off any light. Therefore it would not be black, it would be completely clear. This is just like a laser. You cant see a high power laser but when you hit something with the beam, ouch!

Since its nearly impossible to get plasma to behave in this manner this wouldnt work.

I think a white lightsaber could be constructed with a large dimond. It could be a briliant white.

SWmaster

15. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    OK, we need to put this debate to rest once and for all.

First and foremost, this is theater. If it looks good, you can do it. For those who want more, read on.

There are several theories about lightsabers. The one you guys are talking about, where energy shoots out and loops back to the hilt, is not plausable. This may be what starwars.com says, but they're talking to an audience mostly comprized of people without advances physics backgrounds. If you have a positive potential (on the hilt) and a negative potential (on the hilt), energy flowing between them will move DIRECTLY between them, through the path of least resistance.

Another theory suggests a plasma field encased in a magnetic field. This one has a more sound footing, but power is an issue. It is simply too much power to put into a 10 inch tube.

Whoever said that a lightsaber is not light is correct. Light wouldn't turn back on itself unless you had a black hole at the hilt, in which case you'd have bigger problems. Also, a beam of light would not be opaque to other light beams. The sabers would move right through each other and the fight would be very short. Most plausable theories on this suggest some other energy, such as the plasma field. The light is a byproduct due to ionization of the air or some similar effect.

Now for the black blade. The biggest argument here seems to be that a black blade wouldn't add light to the scene. Correct. Since most of you are used to the 'screen' function in photoshop, etc., black doesn't work. Now, what if the blade SUBTRACTED light from it's general surroundings? Try this: Create a white glow saber using the techniques we're all familiar with. Invert your saber glow layer so it's black on white. Now add it to your background using 'multiply' instead of 'screen'. It looks like the blade is sucking light out of the air.

In conclusion, a darksaber is about as far fetched as a lightsaber, so don't be so picky about the advanced physics. By the way, advanced physics isn't taught in high school. Also, remember what we're doing here. We're not inventing new technology for the government (most of us, anyway). We're making films. If it looks good, do it.

16. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    umm... thanx for putting it to rest :?

17. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Alright, who let in the Treckies? ;)

18. KillerBobBarker

KillerBobBarker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/ls/sabres.htm#index

That is a good site if you want to learn a lot about lightsabres (in the movie and real life)

19. Gardulo

Gardulo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    Thought you might find this amusing looking on www.discovery.ca and searching lightsabers
    you ll find an interview on how lightsabers could be made in real life

20. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    Isn't this what Prozac is for?

21. council_of_trent

council_of_trent Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    Trekkies.
    No "c", there is.

22. Iyidin_Kyeimo

Iyidin_Kyeimo Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2000
    hmmmmmmmm........ black light is in fact UV light, that is, identical to visable light apart from frequency/wavelength. Therefore, it would act in the same way as a normal sabre, but we would barely be able to see it. So....... WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT SUCH A SABRE????? It would ruin the major reason fan films are here:

Fan: "LOOK! THAT'S ME!! I'm holding a lightsabre!!"

bored_friend: "Where??"

Fan1 "er.... that faint purplish glow...."

23. Crook

Crook Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2002
    Lol, great physics lines:

quantized photonic particles

charged with certain energy frequencies

black light is in fact UV light

Leave physics out of SW please, you only get it wrong! :)

24. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    I think it's weird how these black saber threads always get so many posts. Black sabers look dumb. End of story :p

25. GrEvEs

GrEvEs Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 28, 2002
    my theory - the galaxy star wars is in, the one far far away, in the wars that were a long time ago, i think the whole thing is fake. but i'll give you that it does tell one heckuva story :) leave the physics out of this, if it looks good then do it, cuz i'd love to see a black saber, but why not just white with a black glow?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.