main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Book of Paths: The Chosen Path (AU/Tagged) Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by red rose knight, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    There is nothing better than logging on and reading a RRK story, with rants by Cynical. :) :cool: 7

2. Nikita

Nikita Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2001
    hey now!

:::waves hands in front of her face:::

don't attack me for wanting to protect the stupid! Lets just say that I have a soft heart for old people who have thrown away the best thing in their lives. I agree that Qui is stupid and senile... but Obi didn't try after that first initial argument. I wish he had just told Qui how he felt, instead of skirting the problem. He should have told Qui-Gon to take the saber out of his butt, but instead he locked himself inside of his head and tried to kill himself with missions. He should have faced the idiot (Qui) straight on... but Qui deserves a little bit of sympathy

by the way Cyn... I really love you as an author too! u'r stories had me crying.

don't hate me!!!!

~*Nik*~

3. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Oh, Nikita.

It's always nice to have a gadfly in the midst of the choir.

Your opinion is always a welcome change...

Now, how about twisting that knife again? Obi-Wan is still breathing... ;)

:D

4. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Flashbacca? I shall die happily wiggling on your thread..

Well my happy, quick fingered Wookiee friend (say that fast 3 times), please wait until TCP is finished. Big hairy corpses tend to scare readers away. 8-} [face_laugh]

Bekah_K? What a way to bring Qui back!

I thought throwing him in the fire was a good start.

Estel_Kenobi? I guess I should appologize to her because I started hyperventalating, hung up on her, and sprinted to the comp to read.

Tell your friend I am sorry for any freak outs I caused you to have. :D

CYN- I am harboring one, tiny little hope. I hope, before that final paragraph is written, somewhere along this road, we get to see the King of the Chowderheads stand up and announce, loud and clear, that it is ALL his fault!!!

Keep your fingers crossed, ou never know what is going to happen.

How about chateaubriand and truffles, vichysoise, and floating island for dessert? With, of course, a split of champagne - all for the author's delight - and served by you know who - still in silk and leather, with hair down to his tush, a la Serpent's Kiss.

Hate to complain with such a tempting offer but can?t I have a lovely, Obi-Wan? Men in beards just?um, this is a pg forum so I?ll refrain but you all know what I mean?

BTW - did you know that you were the person who drew my to this board in the first place? Sometimes, I really want to thank you; other times, I'm not so sure.

[face_mischief] I can?t imagine why.

Sugar_Bear? One can't help but be flabbergasted by the lack of sensitivity and awareness on Qui's part when he questions why his former padawans give him the cold shoulder.

The man has avoided the Temple for six years so he doesn?t have to face the facts of his past. It will be completely heartbreaking if he ever understands how he hurt his padawans or worse, never does.

Halcyon03? you almost made me feel sorry for Qui-Gon.

ALMOST? Darn, I?ll try harder next time?

obi_ew? Only you could inspire that feeling in regards to Jinn Red!

Oh, I?ll inspire lots of feelings before all is said and done?

Siri_Z? But really not with all that much respect... he deserves every bitter word! <~~ hmm i think i went a lil cold there...

Just a little. It made you feel better, didn?t it? :)

ROGUE_49? So more Obi tomorrow?? [face_hopeful] I'm expecting either flashback number one or perhaps somehting with Bant.

Now you are getting ahead of the story. Bant is still a good distance away and the flashback isn?t ready for another few days.

CK? Is it possible that Anakin would be working to prevent Qui-Gon from gathering information? Or maybe I'm totally barking up the wrong tree

Hmmm?very interesting?.

Lady_Moonbeam? Grow up, Qui-Gon. The real treasure was right in front of him for so many years, and he didn't notice.

Hanging around the Temple, he might see lots of things and people in front of him.

Jadia?What a fabulous poem! Did you just knock it off the top of your head or was this something that took a while? Wow! I?m saving that to another file. I like it. Cool. 8-}

Happy Birthday. Surprise! 8-}

I'm sad that I missed as much as I did, since every post is precious, but hey, I'm here!

Trust me, you haven?t missed anything yet.

Jovieve? Did I read that old man right?

[walks up to him and slaps him. Looks at him, slaps him again}

You know, if we are not careful this thread will get picketed by the Society to Prevent Cruelty to Qui-Gon. Then the Qui-Gon Abusers show up and start fighting with the SPCQG and it will be a mess I tell you! 8-}

So much for your famed compassion.

Oh, I bet he could find an Angoor slug to show compassion too or Jar Jar again.

creelin? I think, deep down, he really does want to make up with Obi, but he can't get past his pride

5. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    "Oh Anakin! Long time no see!! How would you like to discuss your long absences and our differences over a nice little cup of tea??"

Maybe Coruscant(which is where he was raised after all) is a long lost British colony and it's teatime? :) I know, he essentially abandons Obi-Wan twice and then acts like Obi-Wan had committed murder or something with the way he treats him, but Anakin leaves out of his own selfishness and arrogance and he's all "Oh how wonderful to see you after all this time, let's have a chat".

I agree that Qui is stupid and senile... but Obi didn't try after that first initial argument. I wish he had just told Qui how he felt, instead of skirting the problem.

I don't know, after being ignored during his initial recovery and then being slapped so hard it knocked him down, while still in recovery--I think it's pretty easy to see why he'd be wary of doing such a thing. Qui-Gon even argued with his being allowed to take "proper" trials, just so he wouldn't be delayed that little bit longer in the training of his precious legacy, the Chosen One. Qui-Gon didn't listen to Obi-Wan when he tried to talk to him and there is no reason, after seeing his rections to other things, to believe he would have listened had Obi-Wan had the chance to actually get everything he had to say out.

EDIT:

Ooops, missed your last post, RRK.

It will be in the Books of Temple Ghosts and you?ll look at everyone differently when all is said and done with these flashbacks.

Like how?(might as well just ask the obvious and hope she slips up and responds LOL! You all know I can never wait until the end to know the end, I wouldn't be a spoiler fiend if I could ;) ). I'm trying to remember where in the timeline the submission dart happened, I know it was mentioned, anyone else remember so I don't have to go look it up?

That little clip CYN really brings back memories doesn't it? Qui-Gon that bast...um..

6. creelin

creelin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2002
    <<Sometimes, I swear, writing is like giving birth; you never know which ones are going to come easy - and which are going to put you through days of labor pains.>>

I know this feeling, Cyn, my current project is giving me labor pains.

Having just reread AUP today, I had to respond to this comment.

<<So what did the youth do? Oh, well, let's see. Damn near killed himself healing a Master that should have died under the Sith's blade on Naboo. And then, was left alone to heal, while the Master took care of more important matters - like training the Tatooine Twerp; God forbid the old man might have taken the opportunity to sit and try to nurse the kid back to health. Then, when the young man tries to tell him about his prospective knighting ceremony, the only thing that matters is that the Brat wants ice cream. Later, when the Brat screams bloody murder because the young knight doesn't fall at his feet and worship, the Master takes a lightsaber to the former padawan. Subsequently, when Obi-WAn rescues the Master Bumbler and his Twit from certain death, the Master has to be shamed into saving him.

Shall we continue? In all the years of his maturity - in the course of this story - has Qui-Gon Jinn EVER bothered to acknowledge that - just maybe - he was WRONG - even when Anakin proved to be the ultimate MISTAKE?>>

I think Qui-Gon knows he was wrong, but his pride won't let him admit it. When Obi-Wan rescued Qui-Gon and Anakin, there were moments when Qui-Gon seemed like he wanted to reach out and then he stopped himself. He also usually said something stupid in reply, but the desire was there. His pride just got in the way. Does that make him any less to blame for the way he's treated Obi? No. His treatment of Obi-Wan was deplorable, even as an apprentice, I thought Qui-Gon treated him badly (i'm remembering flashbacks from LTP). But as I said earlier, I think he feels guilty and wants to make up for his mistake, but doesn't know how to start and can't get past his pride to begin.

And as much as I love Obi-Wan and sympathize with him, all relationship suffer on both sides. He shares some of the blame for the strain between them. He's hurt and wounded, and he won't reach out for help. In a way, it's a more endearing version of what Qui-Gon does.

7. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Well my own personal opinion always was that there is no reason for Obi-Wan to even want to HAVE a relationship with Qui-Gon after the way Qui-Gon treated him from the time he discovered Anakin. He could barely be bothered to visit him while he was in the coma or afterwards. He's more concerned with the bratling's obviously attention getting antics, whining for ice cream, than with what was obviously something important his padawan of 12 years was trying to tell him--even Anakin knew Obi-Wan was trying to say something important(thus the attention drawing antics) and Qui-Gon was totally bloody clueless.

It's easy to say it's partly Obi-Wan's fault, but quite honestly having any kind of civil contact with Qui-Gon at all seems to be quite enough for Obi-Wan to do in this relationship. I mean with the most minimal of provocation imaginable, the man tried to kill him. In the TEMPLE!! He sneak-attacked him with a sucker punch and then Qui-Gon tried to KILL Obi-Wan by running him through with his lightsaber IN the Temple. And he was serious, his lightsaber went so far through the floor it shorted out a good portion of Temple circuitry. And Obi-Wan is supposed to make nice with this guy?

Qui-Gon's treatment of Obi-Wan was predicated on Qui-Gon's blind stupidity and arrogance. Obi-Wan may not have treated his own person very well in the aftermath, but with regards to their relationship with each other--he's done more than his share IMO. The rest is up to Qui-Gon and he doesn't deserve an easy path.

Hey, I think I found the perfect "smiley" mascot for this thread:

[image=http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~jwan584/rant.gif]

8. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Good points, Naw.

This Qui-Gon is a little more extreme than canon, so I would imagine Obi-Wan is a little more forgiving (masochistic?) than canon or our own imaginations might lend themselves to, maybe, possibly?

I mean, this is Red's version. Look at Cyn's Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in AUF. They are both in serious need of therapy for being so co-dependent and abusive and masochistic to each other. The feel of AUF is of the two actually in a tempestuous love relationship. They SHOULD be kept away and want to keep away from each other for the sake of sanity, but they don't.

In Red's world, perhaps the violence is not unforgivable between two intense warriors.

9. Just_Jill

Just_Jill Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 17, 2002
    naw ibo -

loved the smiley. It is perfect.

I'm going to say nothing but that this was an interesting post. What took me off guard was that Qui-Gon had white hair - I forget about how long has passed between the two stories.

Anakin was properly cold - I thought that was interesting. Great job as always!

Just Jill

10. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Jovieve - The feel of AUF is of the two actually in a tempestuous love relationship. They SHOULD be kept away and want to keep away from each other for the sake of sanity, but they don't.

Very insightful - except that I think we have to acknowledge that, of the two, the younger - the student - is the one with little actual choice. The padawan - for all intents and purposes - is the creation of the Master among the Jedi, with only a slight allowance made for his own personality development. Discipline, discipline, discipline - it's the rhythm that is pounded into their heads from very early childhood - so the Master's mindset becomes almost dogma for the student. Add to that the difficulties of Obi's creche experiences, the abusive early childhood (which is my own take - but valid, I think) - and the kid hasn't much of an option. Besides - would any of US react so differently if we were treated thus by our own parent?

Probably not which is why psychiatry is a thriving field of practice. :D

In either AU - as I've maintained all along - it's all QG's fault. :eek:

And let the games begin. [face_mischief]

Although - let me clarify - RED's universe - and mine in AUF - feature a QG who needs - more than anything else - a good ass-kicking - and an attitude adjustment. This does NOT mean this is true in all AUs. Sometimes, he's actually likeable and warm and understanding and sympathetic.

Just not here.

CYN

11. creelin

creelin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't disagree that Qui-Gon needs a good whipping. He's acting like a pig-headed idiot at the moment, or rather throughout this whole series. I just don't think that he's quite as bad as everyone wants to believe, and I still hold out hope that he'll come to his senses and realize what he's done.

12. ROGUE_49

ROGUE_49 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    And what if, by chance, I decide to make you really feel sorry for him?

NEVER!

I'm at school and don't have time to join the continuing rant so...what everyone else said. 8-}

Love the rantin' smiley naw ibo

-Rogue

13. Halcyon03

Halcyon03 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2002
    Halcyon03? you almost made me feel sorry for Qui-Gon.

ALMOST? Darn, I?ll try harder next time?

I doubt you'll have to try very hard, Red... 8-} You're posts are always great at bringing out all sorts of emotions- as is obvious by all the rants already! :D

Plus, I should revise my earlier statement- you had me feeling sorry for him until that last line!!!

I'm already hooked on this story! I spent the majority of last night hitting the REFRESH button on the toolbar and waiting for new rants.... And right now, I'm in the computer lab at my school where I suppose I should be doing something productive... 8-} Of course, this is what I'd rather be doing, and it feels productive to me... ;)

naw ibo- Maybe Coruscant(which is where he was raised after all) is a long lost British colony and it's teatime? LOL!!! I must admit, the very first thing I thought of was British royalty sitting down to a pleasant cup of tea... 8-}

BTW, that "rant face" is definetly appropriate!!! 8-}

14. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    Ok..I have to say here..that in both RRK's and CYN's AU Stories...Qui-Gon does need a swift kick in butt..

OK I admitt that I really don't like Qui-Gon period..From TPM to the JA books due to how he treated Obi-Wan...

And Yes I know that there are stories out there that write Qui-Gon as a nice guy..and I bet at one time he was...but I still find him an irrogant fool, and to blind to what he had in front of him in Obi-Wan...

And both Cyn and RRK seem to catch this perfectly in their stories..

Do I think Obi-Wan has a little something to do with too in RRK's story.. Yes I do..I think that Obi-Wan could have tried to mend the rift between him and Qui-Gon, and not end up going on mission after mission to try to kill himself...

But I think major blame lies on Qui-Gon for letting the BRAT come between him and Obi..and Ani knew exactly what he was doing..

But I think I will shut up now...

PT

15. cristalvandepol

cristalvandepol Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 30, 2002
    Qui-Gon needs to clue in. I mean what didn't he do? Great Post cant wait for more! :)

16. ObiLegolas

ObiLegolas Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2002
    Oooooo, I just found this! Yay!!!! We don't have to wait till next year to read this book! Great action so far! Evil Ani! [face_devil] Come on Padme do something to ruin the Emperor's plans! Come on Qui find that evidence that you need! Don't let anything slip to Ani. Loved the Obi/Bali scenes. It's sooooo sad though.....poor Obi-wan can't do much anymore. Poor Bali has to take care of his master and put up with Obi's mood swings. :(

Great so far! Can't wait for more!

17. Jedi_Knight_Hunter

Jedi_Knight_Hunter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    These rants are kinda funny to read from a detatched point of view...but why would any of us wanna do that?:confused:

Anything I can use to defend Qui-Gonn with?

Searching...Searching...Nope, no excuse for his attituded towards Obi. I think that he over-reacted to Ani's brushing off, afterall Ani learned it from the master himself when Qui would brush Obi.

And I was thinking that the idiot was just about to pull his head out.

Anything else I could addd to the rant has allready been said...but I'm gunna hold out for the bolthead eating a serving of humble pie.

18. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    naw ibo? I'm trying to remember where in the timeline the submission dart happened, I know it was mentioned,

After Obi-Wan became a knight and before he met Bali. I teased you with it in a snapshot.

creelin? But as I said earlier, I think he feels guilty and wants to make up for his mistake, but doesn't know how to start and can't get past his pride to begin.

He will try though.

naw ibo again? Hey, I think I found the perfect "smiley" mascot for this thread:

I love it!

Jovieve? In Red's world, perhaps the violence is not unforgivable between two intense warriors.

It isn?t forgivable. When Qui-Gon tried to sucker punch then run Obi-Wan through you have to look at it like this (and remember where in the story this happened): Qui-Gon was going to sucker punch Obi-Wan. But remember Obi-Wan is wound a little tight at that time. He has lived a tough few years and his survival and that of those he is rescuing depends on his ability to sense and react to attack. Qui-Gon was attacking him and he naturally responded. Then Qui-Gon responded. They both were in the wrong to battle but they were caught up in it.

Just_Jill? What took me off guard was that Qui-Gon had white hair - I forget about how long has passed between the two stories.

It?s been 15 years since TPM and 6 years since TLTP.

CYN? In either AU - as I've maintained all along - it's all QG's fault.

Sounds good to me. :D

creelin? I still hold out hope that he'll come to his senses and realize what he's done.

Hope is good. One never knows that is going to happen next.

ROGUE_49? And what if, by chance, I decide to make you really feel sorry for him?

NEVER!

Oh, okay?

Halcyon03? I doubt you'll have to try very hard, Red...

Oh, good. :)

You're posts are always great at bringing out all sorts of emotions- as is obvious by all the rants already!

I noticed the rants too?

Padawan_Travina? Do I think Obi-Wan has a little something to do with too in RRK's story.. Yes I do..I think that Obi-Wan could have tried to mend the rift between him and Qui-Gon, and not end up going on mission after mission to try to kill himself...

Very true.

cristavandepol? Great Post cant wait for more!

Up in a moment or two.

ObiLegolas? poor Obi-wan can't do much anymore. Poor Bali has to take care of his master and put up with Obi's mood swings.

Don?t count Obi-Wan out yet.

Jedi_Knight_Hunter? I'm gunna hold out for the bolthead eating a serving of humble pie.

So that?s what that smell is. Everyone is in their kitchens backing up a nice big plate of humble pie.

19. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001

The Book of Heading Home

In the glowing white of the two-occupant cell deep within Niosk Barracks on the Kahier training grounds, Obi-Wan Kenobi knelt in a deep healing meditative trance. It was a daily ritual for the Jedi but it was not to calm his thoughts but to allow the healing energies of the Force to flow through him mending the torn fiber of his very being.

It had been so easy to open himself to the Force, shunting the energy through him into that of his dying padawan just as it had been when he saved his master. Every argument and every practice session was rife with the knowledge of just how close he came to losing Bali. And he knew he would do it all again just to hear the youth?s laughter one more time.

His thoughts were too strained and unfocused to remain in the depths of a healing meditation. The flight back to Coruscant would take several days and he would have plenty of time to rest.

Still keeping in a light meditative state, he sought the raging emotions wishing only to be able to release them into the Force but they unmercifully held fast. Obi-Wan dreaded returning to the Jedi Temple. Admitting softly to himself, there was fear that he would not be allowed to leave once he got there. It had been quite difficult to secure this or any mission from the Council. They feared his health and his mind were not up to the stress of a mission even though knights were desperately needed in the field.

While his face remained a mask of serenity, his heart ached. He had spent the mass of the civil war in the Temple recovering from his injuries as his friends and Jedi brethren died in the field as resentment of the Order grew.

Towards the end of the fighting, he and Bali had finally taken a few short diplomatic missions to sympathetic worlds, where he had learned much on those missions. He could show no signs of weakness it would be exploited. Again he had returned to projecting like he had in the years before he took on a padawan. It was the only way. The cold, hard image served him well and it kept those who would threaten he or his padawan at a distance.

Bali often said it made him nervous.

Every time he looked at the youth, he was surprised. Bali had grown so much in the blink of an eye. He wasn?t a little boy scrunching his nose in curiosity. Bright green eyes were sharp and focused always on the task at hand. He was a good padawan. Obi-Wan knew Bali would never stand among the best or the greatest the Order had to offer, few did. He would not even be close, but Bali would be a good Jedi because he embodied the ideals of millennia of teaching. In the end that was all that mattered to Obi-Wan. Not how high scores were or how many contests his padawan won, but that Bali upheld the Code and always acted in an honorable fashion. That he would be the best he could be.

From far down the corridor, he felt his padawan?s warm Force signature. It was almost time to leave. Their meager belongings had long since been packed away for the journey back to Coruscant. He had left Bali to tend to the details while he meditated.

It had been a blessing to be sent to Itheria. It got him out of the Temple and away from Bant?s constant nagging and Yoda?s determined prodding. He had enjoyed teaching better ways to handle security to the Kahier. And he and Bali had learned invaluable lessons in handling energy pike users in battle, although the ginger haired Jedi was quite certain he would never put such knowledge to use unless he just happened to be storming the Chancellor?s office.

Relaxing into his meditation again, he allowed the Force to move through and around him, flowing like a gentle stream. Its waters were alternately warm and cool as the power ebbed and flow easing tired muscles and calming his thoughts.

And, like it had every time he found peace a bright flash of electric blues and purples blinded his mind?s eye. Jerking from the calm state, his pale gaze danced around the room as he struggled to find his center again. Breaths came short and shallow until

20. Padawan_Travina

Aug 5, 2002
    RRK

Another great post....

?That may be a good thing, your Grace.?

But should I be owrried about this line? And poor Obi-Wan..he really has been through a lot hasn't he...

And I just realized how long he and Bali had been gone...silly me..

I loved though the way you had a little bit of humor amongest the more darker tones..

But based on this post I wonder..did Obi-Wan do more damage to himself this time around?

Can't Wait for more....

PT

21. CalaisKenobi

CalaisKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    but Bali would be a good Jedi because he embodied the ideals of millennia of teaching. In the end that was all that mattered to Obi-Wan. Not how high scores were or how many contests his padawan won, but that Bali upheld the Code and always acted in an honorable fashion. That he would be the best he could be.

You know, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe Obi-Wan would have been a better Master to Anakin (in the actual Star Wars universe) if he didn't have any preconceived notions about what Anakin could or would accomplish, and if the galactic Brat didn't know that he was the "Chosen One." I don't know, that was just a random side comment.

Anyhow, back to Red's much-preferable universe. Isn't it interesting how Obi-Wan is so proud of his Padawan, even though he acknowledges he may never be great, and Qui-Gon was so quick to be assured of his Legacy in Anakin? Perhaps Pride should be one of the tenants of the Jedi Code? OH.. wait... it's not like Master Goatface ever actually FOLLOWED the code. (And yes, I do mean "goatface." The image of him with white hair and beard just makes me think of the three billy goats gruff. 8-} )

22. Jedi_Knight_Hunter

Jedi_Knight_Hunter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    And he and Bali had learned invaluable lessons in handling energy pike users in battle, although the ginger haired Jedi was quite certain he would never put such knowledge to use unless he just happened to be storming the Chancellor?s office.

She very upset to discover you had climbed out the window

Must stop laughing...must stop laughing, very good red. Funniness, sweetness, and possibly enough forshadowing that we should be worried?

CK:I never thought of him that way, now i can't get the pic outta my head!

23. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    Great posts, RRK! Although I have not yet had the time to read the books that came before this one, I am enjoying this as a stand-alone fic and I can sense and pick up much of what has transpired. Hopefully, when my life is less hectic, I can read the other books. But, until then, I will keep reading this one. :) And beautiful writing!

24. Padawan_Travina

Aug 5, 2002
    Master

OH.. wait... it's not like Master Goatface ever actually FOLLOWED the code. (And yes, I do mean "goatface." The image of him with white hair and beard just makes me think of the three billy goats gruff. )

Now that is not nice.. if you are going to insult him use his proper name such as.. Buckethead..Cyn's favorite...Lunkhead...and my personal favorite....ah heck

Goatface works just fine...

;)

PT

25. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001

Must give Obi his due at his honest assessment of his own padawan. Unlike Qui-Gon who was blind to Obi's virtues as well as Anakin's flaws, the Jedi master's appraisal was objective and sincere.

I've always admired Obi's compassion for the underdog and his reluctance to seek out personal glory. Bali may not be the greatest to graduate from the Order's ranks or carry the lofty title of "chosen one," but what's most important to the master is that Bali be the finest knight he can be...honorable, decent and pure in spirit.

Can't blame Obi for not wanting to return to the Temple where he'd been cooped up for so many years recuperating when Jedi were so desperately needed in the field. Being Bali's master was Obi's primary purpose in life, but his yearning to function as an operating knight fulfilled his innate desire to serve.

Wonderful post, RRK! Great well-rounded portrayal of Obi. Enjoyed the charming reminiscence from the padawan where the handsome master had to precariously sneak out a window in order to escape an infatuated Lady Marnia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.