main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Chosen One

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Xenobi, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenobi

Xenobi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    We all know that George Lucas said that Darth Vader was the chosen one...
    but we want to hear your opinions... who do you think should be the chosen one, Anakin or Luke?

Here is list of things they did to deserve the title of Chosen one

Anakin:
    Killed the emperor

Luke:
    Made Anakin kill the empereor and started new jedi order

Here are things that can be used against them:
    Anakin:
    He helped the emperor become so powerful in the first place

Luke:
    He is not the chosen one because George Lucas said so
    He did not kill the emperor

Questions:
    What was Anakin chosen for, to help the emperor take over he galaxy and then get it back?

My opinion:
    The reason there is a chose one is to make a new jedi order because there were things wrong with the old Jedi order like the Love issue.. In the new Jedi order some things are fixed
    P.S It woul be cool if Qui Gon Jinn was wrong

Your opinions go down

2. Anakinisthechosenone

Anakinisthechosenone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2003
    i think anakin b/c well firstly GL said so lol and b/c i agree w/ wat alot of people have been saying.. he had to see both sides of the force to truly be in balance with himself and with that bring balance to the force.. not to mention he killed palpy... but im kinda biased 2 lol

3. Xenobi

Mar 13, 2002
    i noticed there is a similar thread going on right now but it is not the same

Anyways ... in the movies they never say for sure that Anakin is the chosen one so we could just pick who we want to be the chosen one

oh and by the way if the purpose of the chose one was to destroy the old Jedi Council because the old Jedi coucil was wrong then that would explain why Anakin is the chosen on

4. huttese1138

huttese1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Ultimately, Anakin destoyed the most significant symbol of the darkside.

5. C-3PX

C-3PX Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    I see Anakin as the choosen one since he does bring balance to the force.

When he was young there were way more Jedi then Sith (since there was two). To balance it out most of the Jedi had to die (I'm I the only one who saw that?). Once the numbers were about equal he killed old Palpy thereby ending the old order of Jedi and Sith. :)

6. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    I also say Anakin, he did kill Palpy, and I think he did good by wiping out the currupt Senate to replace it with the New Republic and New Jedi Order.

7. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "Anyways ... in the movies they never say for sure that Anakin is the chosen one so we could just pick who we want to be the chosen one"

How about in TPM, in the Jedi Council chambers:

Qui-Gon Jinn: The boy is the Chosen One. You must see it?

Yoda: The Chosen One, the boy may be. Nevertheless, grave danger I feel in his training.

Isn't that enough confirmation? ?[face_plain]

8. seizetsu

seizetsu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2003
    Well now, if there had been no Anakin nor would there have been a Luke. And without either of them there's really not much of a chance considering a balance in the force.

What I'm saying is that Anakin might be the chosen one because of his offspring just as much as he is the chosen one himslef.

Go figure :D

9. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Anakin.Is.The.Chosen.One.

10. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I think that Anakin is the chosen one for sure because by killing all the Jedi he brings balance to the force. There are then roughly the same number of light-side and dark-side users. He restored the balance between good and evil, only when he did that was he allowed to die

11. Xenobi

Mar 13, 2002
    good ideas

12. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    It is Anakin simply because Lucas says it is him.

13. seizetsu

Jan 20, 2003
    Ah, you have a point there ForceHeretic. Though I have another view of this point. Anakin's slaughter and hunt-down of the Jedis does lead to balance in the force. However I believe that dark side users are "eating" of the force rather than filtrating it in the way a pure Jedi does. Thus, if there are no people using the force in a bad way there is balance in the force.

When Anakin hunts down and kills all the Jedi (except for Obi-Wan and Yoda), he does, even though he doesn't reallize it at the time purge the usage of the force. Then, when he kills the emperor and sacrifices himself there is no one but Luke left(Yes, Leia is there as well but she hasn't learned the way of the force yet). And Luke is in no way a user of the dark side. There is balance in the force and Anakin has brought it, though maybe at another price than the order had anticipated.

Thoughts anyone?

14. Xenobi

Mar 13, 2002
    so you guys are saying that there is balance when there are no jedi or sith??
    that is interesting

but i think that Anakin was chosen to end the old Jedi Order which was not all correct...

Luke then made a new Jedi order where he was the first of the many

15. seizetsu

Jan 20, 2003
    Quite so Xenobi, but then not quite :)

What I meant was not that using the force caused inbalance(though now that you say so it is an appealing thought). What I meant was that as long as the person that uses the force, he may or may not be a Jedi, in the healthiest way, letting it flow through him and guide him, the balance is intact. But when somebody uses the force for his or her own reasons, bending the will of the living force as many a sith has done the balance is disturbed.

Now, I have trouble believing that all the thousands of Jedis used the force in in the best way. I'm even finding it hard to believe the entire council did. And perhaps they were aware of this, after all they knew there was inbalance in the force since they were looking for one who could bring it. Thus, through Anakin's slaughtering-spree the use of the force was purged and his offspring was to carry on his legacy and the way the force should be used. If we look to EU we can see how harsh Luke is about the ways the Solo children are using their abilities.

You could think of the force like a spoon. If you use the spoon for eating it will remain as it is, but if you bang it against a brick wall it will bend. Perhaps not the best of examples but I think I've made my point :D

16. OLLIEVARR

OLLIEVARR Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    Here are my thoughts...

Watching the OT, if anyone would have asked me "who's the chosen one," I would have scrathced my head and replied, "There's a chosen one?"

Once I got over it, I would have replied, "Luke."

Why? Let me tell you. There seems to be a level of "prophetic awareness" surrounding Luke and his actions (or rather around the "child of Skywalker"). OB1 knows that Anakin's offspring would be a threat to the Emperor. The Emperor knows this as well. The Emperor tells Vader that the son of Skywalker could destroy them both. Vader agrees. The hopes of both OB1 and Yoda are tied EXCLUSIVELY to the "child of Skywalker" ("That boy is our ONLY hope"/ "No. There is another [child of Skywalker]"). I used to always watch the OT with the idea that there was a "prophecy" that all the Force users in the OT "felt" that implied that when the child of Skywalker became a Jedi, Vader the betrayer and the Empire he serves will fall. Luke himself seems to acknowledge this "prophecy" when he tells Leia that, if he does not return, she would be the ONLY hope for the alliance (ROTJ). I always thought that it was GREAT that all the Force users in the movie made incorrect assumptions about the "prophecy" since they clearly think that Luke is supposed to kill Vader (Vader will FALL) and then kill the Emperor-- when the "prophecy" really pointed to the event that instigates Anakin's redemption (the fall of Vader).

Those WERE my ideas. Then GL made TPM. Anakin is labled the chosen one. "Cool," I think. "I was right about this prophecy about Luke. It's just that they all think it's talking about Anakin right now."

That was my idea. Then GL said that Anakin really IS the chosen one.

There goes that! :_(

But, since GL says Ani IS the chosen one, this is how he brings balance IMO...

The Jedi are STAGNANT! They have lost the freedom to follow the Living Force because of their massive set of codes. The Republic is representative of the same stagnation. It no longer functions for essentially the same reasons. Both need a really good shake up. Anakin does this my serving the Emperor. Job one-- done. Then, the the Emperor dominates the scene-- he and his empire become stagnant in its EVIL. They must be overthrown. Anakin does this by killing the Emperor. Thus, Anakin was "used" by the Force to 1) burn up thousands of years worth of stagnation and 2) to eliminated the "burning" catalyst (the Empire).

But why would the Force use such great EVIL to do this? Well, it's a dualistic force, right? Would you expect an impersonal force that is equal parts good and evil to only use good to fix the universe? Probably not.

Those are my thoughts.

17. Qui-Gon-Was-Right

Qui-Gon-Was-Right Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    There is no question that Anakin is the chosen one. For one, GL said so. But this is reflected in ROTJ. Though Vader gets a lot of attention as the evil force, Palpatine is the real evil (without him, there would never had been a reemergence of the sith). No one could kill Palpatine (including Mace, Yoda, Obi-Wan, or Luke). Anakin was the only one. Luke was important because he pushed Anakin to do it, but in the end (Luke was about to die), Anakin is the only one who can and does kill Palpatine.

18. muymaul

muymaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 1999
    I am also leaning towards OLLIEVARR's reasoning. The question to me is what does it mean to "bring balance to the force." My feelings are that the Jedi have become stagnant, but how is the force brought to balance? We know that there were Sith before, so I don't necessarily think they need to be eliminated for the force to come into balance, although we don't know if any of them acquired the power that the Emporer did. Still, I think that the balance is brought about because the slate is wiped clean in terms of people who can use the force. The old ways of Jedi and Sith are eliminated and everything has started over with Luke.

19. OBI-TWAN_KENOBI

OBI-TWAN_KENOBI Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2003
    I think anakin is the chosen one because he brought balance to the force by purgeing all the old jedi who were overconfident and weak, while putting palpatine in power. He then destroyed the dark side and brought about a new order through luke. this new order combining the best of the old and new jedi ideas.

I think the idea of bringing balance is a much larger scale of wipeing out all of the old and starting new.

20. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Look at it this way: The Jedi bring peace and harmony to the Force. The Sith unbalance the Force with the Dark Side. I don't think it's a case of actual equality of numbers, but balance as in harmony. Though Anakin kills the Jedi, he also kills the Sith, so the Jedi can start over. It's as if the Jedi have been affected by the Dark Side, and Anakin has purged it from them by letting them begin again. Maybe that's why it's called the Jedi purge ;)

21. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    If we look at what "Balance of the Force" means, it should clearly be noted that there is no Dark Side. There is no Sith. We know this because George Lucas said so. He tells us that in an interview in the 2000 release of the original trilogy. So Anakin is clearly the chosen one. He resigned from the Sith order and destroyed the other Sith. No more Sith and no more Dark Side. He brought Balance back. Anakin is the chosen one and he should be. :)

22. Xenobi

Mar 13, 2002
    Yeah i think Anakin was chosen not only to kill the emperor but the old Jedi order.
    Then Luke made the new Jedi Order and changed the rules around to make a better Jedi order

Keep up the good ideas

23. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    "Which brings us to films 4, 5 and 6, where Anakin's offspring redeem him and allow him to fulfill the prophecy where he brings balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe."
    --George Lucas

24. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Exactly. Blance in this case means harmony within one's self. Not an equal amount of good and bad. I mean, at the end of his life, Anakin returned as a Jedi, so what? There were two Jedi, zero Sith? That's not mathematically balanced.
    The Sith were currupting, clouding the Force, causing an imbalance.
    Darth Sin also posted something interesting in the spoiler forum saying that he didn't believe that Anakin turning to the darkside was part of the prophesy. That was done by Anakin's own actions. Afterall, why would the Force, which is ultimately good, lead its Chosen One to the evil side to meet its ends? But in the end, thanks to Luke's help, Anakin fell back into the light, and abolished the clouded curruptance in the Force.
    Luke was just being shocked by lightning up until Anakin interviened.
    'You speak of the prophecy of the one who will almost be shocked to death until somebody saves his little white butt. You believe it'll be the son of this... boy?'
    Besides, George should know what he's talking about since he's writing this thing.
    If you're going to choose what you will and will not believe about what the author is telling you, why watch the movie? I mean, where will it end? You could say Luke was a fiery red head, Leia was a smurf, and Han Solo was a preachor who never did wrong even though Lucas says otherwise. You can't just make up your own story as you go along just because you seem to think otherwise.

25. SuperJediStyle

SuperJediStyle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2003
    Its known that the darkside is very powerful. I think therfore ...the balance of the force has always been a bit off, probably tipping the scale in the darksides favor. But ...as long as the majority of the galaxy were controled by the good (the old Republic) ...the darkside was held in check. Enter Palpatine. With all of the power he is secretly gaining ...and the corruption he is causing ....the force is shifting to the darkside even further, and the darkside is no longer held in check. This is diminishing the jedi's ability to use the force for the sake of good. The prochecy states that someone will come along to bring balance to the force. Someone that is so powerful the darkside could again be held in check. Enter Anakin. Had Anakin lived up to his potential ...and became the powerful "jedi" he was supposed to be ..the scales would again balance out ...and good could have prevailed. Palps knows that the only people that lead a rebellion to stop him ...are the jedi. Thats why he wants them all wiped out. I think in EP3 ...once Palps recruits Anakin to his side ...he feels he is pretty much invincable. There will be no chosen one to oppose him. He will be more powerful than Yoda , Mace or any jedi. Together, with all of their power, and with the largest army...and most powerful weapons... they can wipe out the jedi,control the force and squash any rebellion. There will be nothing left to stop them. The fatal flaw in Palps plans we know...will be the twins. The inner love that seems to keep betraying Anakin ...will once again betray him as a sith ...and he will live up to his role as the chosen one...by being the only one powerful enough to come back from the darkside ...go back to the side of good..and kill Palps ...and bring balance back to the force...and....well...you all know how that story ends. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.