main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars Chronological Order (TCW Episodes & Viewing Orders)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by han_solo_321, Feb 4, 2009.

1. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Leland Chee said:
    [​IMG]

Without a doubt, the most often asked question I’ve been asked since The Clone Wars started four years ago is, “How does The Clone Wars fit into the existing Expanded Universe Clone Wars timeline?” The first seasons of The Clone Wars were peculiar in that episodes didn’t air in chronological order. You would have episodes in Seasons 2 and 3 that were actually prequels to episodes in Season 1. Here are a few of my notes regarding the timeline to help sort things out.
    First off, let’s look at the first two episodes of The Clone Wars airing insyndication across the U.S.:

[​IMG]

“Cat and Mouse” (S216)

Obi-Wan and Anakin must break a Separatist blockade to deliver supplies to Christophsis. They encounter Separatist Commander Admiral Trench and get more than they bargained for.

[​IMG]

“Hidden Enemy“ (S116)

Anakin and Obi-Wan discover evidence of a traitor amongst their ranks while attempting to lead Republic forces to liberate the planet of Christophsis from a Separatist siege.

The numbers in parentheses shows the air order number, with S216 being the 16th episode that aired in Season 2. Why not start with the Season 1 Episode 1? Because for the first time ever, The Clone Wars episodes are being presented in chronological order.

As for how The Clone Wars fits into the previous EU, here’s a recap of things that have transpired prior to the first episode “Cat and Mouse.” Asajj Ventress has emerged as Count Dooku’s assassin and has already had confrontations with Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker. General Grievous leads the Confederacy Droid Army and has confronted Jedi and Republic on numerous occasions, though he has not yet met Asajj Ventress. Anakin has attained the rank of Jedi Knight and bares scars on his face from the Clone Wars. The blue-marked 501st clone trooper unit under the command of Captain Rex are assigned to Anakin. Obi-Wan has taken a seat on the Jedi Council. His dedicated clone trooper unit is the orange-marked 212th Attack Battalion led by Commander Cody. As a gift from Padmé, R2-D2 now serves Anakin while C-3PO, having had his rusted silver coverings replaced with gold ones, now serves Senator Padmé Amidala.

“Cat and Mouse” and “Hidden Enemy” take place before 2008 The Clone Wars movie which gives resolution to the Battle of Christophsis and introduces Ahsoka Tano as Anakin’s Padawan. Other noteworthy events from the move that apply to the timeline: Anakin acquires the freighter the Twilight and Ziro the Hutt is imprisoned for conspiring against both Jabba the Hutt and the Republic. And Jabba has a son.

Admiral Yularen is first assigned to Anakin in “Cat and Mouse” marking his first chronological appearance in the series. The episode mentions Yularen’s previous encounter with Trench, though this event has never been depicted.

Here’s a look at the next two episodes of The Clone Wars airing in syndication.

[​IMG]
    “Clone Cadets” (S301)

Five headstrong clone cadets – Hevy, Cutup, Droidbait, Fives and Echo – struggle to complete their training on the ocean planet of Kamino

[​IMG]

“Supply Lines” (S303)

Ryloth is under siege. Trapped on the surface, Jedi Master Di rallies the local forces with the help of rebel leader Cham Syndulla.

Note that both of these episodes originally aired as part of Season 3 of The Clone Wars. The central group of clones from “Clone Cadets” appear here for the first time chronologically, though their first air appearance is in Season 1. Clones from this unit will continue to appear throughout the series. The situation on Ryloth in “Supply Lines” sets up a major Season 1 story arc. This episode presents the first chronological appearance of King Katuunko, the leader of the Toydarians.

All of these episodes take place early on during the Clone Wars, mere months following the Battle of Geonosis seen in Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones. Many of the dates and events on previously existing EU Clone Wars timelines have been condensed into this period before the events of “Cat and Mouse.”

In future blogs, I will continue to share my Clone Wars timeline notes and add installments to this episodic timeline as the episodes air.
    • Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace
    • Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones
    • “Cat and Mouse” (S216)
    • “Hidden Enemy” (S116)
    • Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008 theatrical release)
    • “Clone Cadets” (S301)
    • “Supply Lines” (S303)

Ok I'm getting really confused I need to put all the clone wars episodes in chronological order for my star wars play list for my iPod. Does anyone know the order because apparently they are not airing in chronological order.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't think we know yet.

3. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Here's my own personal order:

Rookies
    Trespass
    The Hidden Enemy
    The Clone Wars movie
    Bombad Jedi
    Cloak of Darkness
    Lair of Grevious
    Downfall of a Droid
    Duel of the Droids
    Ambush
    Rising Malevolence
    Shadow of Malevolence
    Destroy Melevalonce
    Jedi Crash
    Defenders of Peace

Rookies is a good standalone to start the series off, and along with Trespass and most likely Hidden Enemy could easily take place before the TCW movie because Ahsoka isn't around.

The Dooku trilogy follows because the episodes seem less event oriented and I moved the Malevolence stuff to later because of the nature of the episodes - good guys destroying a big deadly space weapon - it just felt like there was so much going on that we needed more episodes leading up to it. It's basically the "sweeps" episodes of the series and I thought they bumped it up too early. I also like how it ties together with the Aayla Secura two parter in that it forms a little "Separatist weapon saga."
    I also moved back Malevolence to after we see Ahsoka's flying so that we know why Anakin is concerned about her skills.

I moved Ambush because I just didn't think like it felt that early in the timeline. I liked that we got a break from Ventress for a while after the movie, by moving the episode, and I also thought her intro in Cloak of Darkness was a better way/episode to bring her back after the TCW movie, particularly when Dooku tells her not to fail him again it now makes more sense to me after her having just failed big time in getting access to Hutt Space for the CIS.

I feel like the Ambush and Malevolence trilogy took place so early because the creators of the show wanted to make a big splash (Yoda episode, super weapon trilogy to hook us back next week) and not because that's where they fit chronology.

4. Obi-Mcfly

Obi-Mcfly Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2008
    I really hope they start showing them in chronological order. Star Wars time jumps way too much for me, it would be nice to actually get the story in order for once. Plus, when they Anakin said Ahsoka was a crappy flier, I was pretty ticked because I knew I had missed something there, and I wanted to see what had happened that made Anakin nervous about her flying.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Factoring in the timeline references made in the webcomics (those some of these references are meant to reflect/adjust to the airing order), the order of episodes is:

-TCW Movie (The New Padawan/Castle of Deception/Castle of Doom/Castle of Salvation)
    -Downfall of a Droid/Duel of the Droids
    -Ambush
    -Malevolence Trilogy
    -Bombad Jedi/Cloak of Darkness/Lair of Grievous
    -Rookies (this might be between Malevolence and Bombad, but the Production Order suggests it is afterwards)
    -Dooku Captured/The Gungan General
    -Jedi Crash/Defenders of Peace
    -Trespass

This week's episode, The Hidden Enemy, appears to be a prequel to the events in TCW movie- though if it's entirely set before the movie, or utilizes some kind of framestory set "now" for the flashbacks to be presented through, remains to be seen.

If you want to ignore the webcomics (since they were changed to reflect airing order in some cases, as I said), the order, judging by the video games and production order, is likely:

-TCW Movie
    -Downfall of a Droid/Duel of the Droids
    -Bombad Jedi/Cloak of Darkness/Lair of Grievous
    -Malevolence Trilogy
    -Ambush
    -Rookies
    -Dooku Captured/The Gungan General
    -Jedi Crash/Defenders of Peace
    -Trespass

6. Andersonian

Andersonian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2009
    I've been thinking it about, and I think Rookies must take place before the Malevolance arc for two reasons:

Firstly, there is a line in the episode where when Anakin and Obi Wan are talking about trying to find Grievous, Anakin says "Clone Intelligence spotted him here, in the Balmorra system, but that was weeks ago." That seems to indicate foreshadowing for The Malevolance arc (which takes place in the Balmorra system). It could be that he's referring to having a past encounter there with him, but it seems unlikely since he says "Clone Intelligence". If he was referring to them having a past battle during the Malevolance arc, he wouldn't need Clone Intelligence to tell him such, since they themselves had encontered him.

Also, it would make sense that the next episode Grievous appears in should be the one where he has to redeem himself for losing the Malevolance. (Lair of Grievous)

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I feel the reference to the Balmorra system means the last time he was spotted was shortly after the Malevolence's destruction in that system. There's no telling how far he jumped in Destroy Malevolence- could have been a micro-jump in-system so that his escape vector couldn't be plotted as easily, but clone intelligence spotted him before he made his final jump.

And since he slightly redeemed himself in Lair of Grievous (though, "there's room for improvement"), it would justify him being back in command during Rookies- combined with Grievous escaping in his fighter at the end of Malevolence and arriving at his Lair in it, there's a certain visual flow to things (plus, I like the idea of Grievous's "hang-up on the Count" at the end of Malevolence being a direct setup for his emotional state for wanting to "return home"- and why Dooku would setup a trap for him by leading the Jedi there).

Likewise, this allows all the non-Obi/Ani episodes of th Nute trilogy to take place during those weeks searching for Grievous (and we can just assume that Kit hasn't gotten word back to the Jedi before grievous leaves for Kamino).

8. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    I revised this because I left the Dooku two-parter out! Doh!!

Rookies
    Trespass
    The Hidden Enemy
    The Clone Wars movie
    Bombad Jedi
    Cloak of Darkness
    Lair of Grevious
    Downfall of a Droid
    Duel of the Droids
    Dooku Captured
    The Gungan General
    Ambush
    Rising Malevolence
    Shadow of Malevolence
    Destroy Malevolence
    Jedi Crash
    Defenders of Peace

Regardless of the shooting order, we already know they aren't shooting them chronologically so that isn't a huge factor for me. Also, the webcomics have no bearing for me. It's about flow mostly. I try to space out the "big" episode with the "smaller ones"... i.e. a Malevolnce arc vs. a Lair of Grevious episode.

If you really want to you can move Ambush earlier, as well as swap the order of Malevolence with the Nute trilogy. But I don't like Ambush coming too early and I still say Rookies is a great way to start the series compared with the other stuff, since we can't use the movie as a start because of Hidden Enemy.

I also like Trespass as a follow-up to Rookies because it seems to take place before Ahsoka come on board. Or another option is to follow-up Bombad Jedi or Cloak of Darkness with Trespass so that while Ahsoka is with Luminara Anakin and Obi-wan are doing their own thing. I tried watching it in that order and it worked well and broke up the little arc in a fun, logical way.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's an interesting viewing order (though it wouldn't be a chronological order). I was actually going to suggest that Trespass takes place while Ahsoka is doing something else in another episode.

The production order is somewhat indicative of the intended chronological order, at least for the first season, ignoring the flashback-nature of The Hidden Enemy and The New Padawan (well, I guess TNP isn't a flashback since it's in the movie, but anyways)- you just have to keep in mind that there are two studios working on the show so they alternate, and sometimes multi-episode arcs will start at the right spot but not have their concluding installments done till a bit later.

10. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Thanks. Yeah, I get that it wasn't their intended chronological order but unless I'm missing something I believe it works chronologically.

Two studios? I thought they did everything in Singapore? Are they doing animation at the Presidio, too?

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's two studios: Singapore (Lucasfilm Animation) and Taiwan (CGCG). The end credits of an episode mention which one worked on that episode.

12. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Oh man thanks!
    Can you ever tell which one did what?

Is the Signapore considered in-house and the other considered out-source? How did I miss this??

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The end credits apparently specify which came from where. It's why some early episodes like Downfall of a Droid look noticeably different than the rest of the series- though they eventually got their work in sync with the other studio so it's harder to notice now.

But this is why most multi-parters (there are exceptions- Downfall and Duel were done by different studios) alternate on the production order- so the same team/studio is doing both parts. So while Singapore, presumably, was doing Castle of Deception (101), they had Taiwan start Downfall (102), then Singapore moved onto Castle of Doom (103), etc, etc.

14. The_Attackinator

The_Attackinator Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2008
    Quest, in both of these lists you have Ambush placed after the droid duology, while the comic leading up to it shows that it was Skytop Station that was used to find Yoda and track his journey to Rugosa... A station can't track anyone if it's been destroyed.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, the second list specifies it is ignoring the webcomics (since Ambush was moved up to air first at the last moment and the webcomic was adjusted to reflect this).

But, even factoring the webcomics in, it's not a contradiction- Ambush is just taking place during/between the Droid Duo OR the info about Yoda's journey was acquired and transmitted by Skytop Station before it's destruction, even though Yoda did not arrive at his destination until after it's destruction.

It's just a better viewing order to watch Ambush after the Droid duo instead of between DOAD and DOTD- keeps the multi-parter together but reflects chronological order still.

However, placing Ambush first works too- but since it was meant to air later in the season, it strikes me as honoring it's intended placement a little more closely by avoiding placing Ambush first.

16. The_Attackinator

Dec 31, 2008
    Understood. So which order are you going by?

17. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    IMHO it makes no sense that Lair of Grievous would come before the Malevolence and Droid stories. If Dooku was willing to kill his nr. 1 general just because of what happened in Rookies, were GG didn?t really lose much resources or men at all, then what would Dooku do if Grievous went on to lose both "Sky Top" station and "The Malevolence"?

18. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    thanks so much guys for your help! I'm obsessive about chronological orders so thanks :D

19. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Nothing changes the fact that G.G. lost both "sky top" and the Malevolence. At least this way Dooku was captured so he failed himself after Sky Top and between Malevolence, so it softens the blow. And according to the opening narration Grevious has scored som major Sep victories that occured between episodes so he has probably gotten on Dooku's good side again.

Also -- not sure what you mean by his # 1 general -- isn't that Grevious?

20. The_Attackinator

Dec 31, 2008
    But that's not the correct chronological order...

21. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    It could be.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I prefer to go with factoring in both the webcomics and production order data, as it's probably the most accurate, chronology-wise, as far as the series' placement in the greater EU goes.

However, I try to keep perspective of the production order minus the webcomics in the back of my head, if only for my film & TV editing viewpoint tendancies, as it makes for an interest experiment, as fanboyskywalker shows, to come up with alternative, unofficial, viewing orders.

23. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    I actually get a kick out of the fact that it's not all being aired in strictly chronological order. It follows the tradition set by the films. Even the Indiana Jones films and tv show use the same modus operandus.

Still, it is nice to know that we're pretty likely to have official confirmation on the order of things in the next few months!

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Another alternative way to look at the order of things is to look at the newsreel footage- theoretically an episode shouldn't be able to use footage from events that haven't happened yet, so that can give other clues as to another episode order (though that might reflect production order more than anything else).

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Since we're talking about hypothetical viewing orders- rewatching the last few episodes to catch a friend up, I noticed that Dooku Captured's newsreel only uses footage from the movie, and Gungan General only uses footage from DC, and I'm wondering if maybe it could be slid into a viewing order right after the movie. Might explain how they found Dooku if they were able to use Tatooine as a starting point. Though there's a line about Ahsoka along the lines of "let's try not to destroy it while they're still onboard this time"- can't place what she's referencing as only Malevolence kinda makes sense but that doesn't really track perfectly either.