main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars- Episode 108: Bombad Jedi Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Jar Jar does use "I" sometimes in TPM- "I don't know- mesa day startin' pretty okee-day wit a brisk mornin' munchin'..."

2. Tordelback

Tordelback Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 14, 2008
    "I know that JarJar is geared towards children...just ask my son who absolutely loves him; but for 30-somethings like myself; why torture us with even one token episode with jar Jar."

I'm 37, and I love Jar Jar, albeit in smallish doses. You answer yur own question, in that maybe, just maybe, Jar Jar is in there not specifically to torture you, but to appeal to your (and my) son? Plus surely the episode had some genuinely funny moments (Anakin's robe, Padme's reaction to Threepio's news, Roger-roger-roger-roger-roger...), even for old farts like ourselves.

As to other folks complaining about 'another' capture/rescue storyline, I think you might be watching the wrong franchise entirely. Maybe the Death Star rescue in ANH, the Hoth and Bespin rescues in TESB, the Tatooine and Bunker rescues in RotJ, the Geonosis rescue(s) in AotC and the rescue of the Chancellor in RotS might hint at a core Star Wars theme?

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, they are all hermaphrodites.

Though I thought he just from New Orleans.

4. NY152

NY152 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    ...and the Theed Palace people rescue in TPM :]
    Regardless, I'm wishing for a story arc centered in a full scale war, like the Battle of Muunlist in Gendny's CW, because, even though I'm lovin the show, it looks like the Clone Skirmishes, rather then Wars...

5. Tordelback

Tordelback Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 14, 2008
    "
    Hmmm, well put. A few rumbles like the first episode of the Gendy series would be cool too. It seems like the potential is there (Christophsis wasn't far off), but right now it's Admiral Skywalker and his hit-and-run Spec Force unit, rather than the protracted engagements we know from the comics and the Gendy series (Jabiim, Saleucami etc.). I'm sure there's plenty of time for it, but I'd like a mix too.

6. GH-7

GH-7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2008
    Well, you've got the Battle of Ryloth coming up in the three last episodes of the season.

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I'm way over 30, way, way but I really liked this episode. JarJar was endearing rather than annoying. I think I liked him better now that his words are being pronounced more clearly. I had a real problem with him in TPM because I couldn't understand him most of the time.

I liked that Padme rescued herself - you go girl!

I found the slug rather amusing but my favorite comedic parts are with the battledroids. They are hilarious.

8. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    I agree with several people here...I'm 32 and I'm thoroughly enjoying this so called kids show. Yes, the Jar Jar humor was a bit grating at times in the films, but I enjoyed it here and his determination(albeit a bit clumsy) at wanting to rescue Senator Amidala was what made his character endearing in this episode.

9. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    Definitely think its time for some large battles soon, Christophsis and Teth were great, but so far in the series (8 episodes already) we haven?t had anything close to that. All the episodes have bean good so far, but it?s definitely time to show the big battles. I agree that the small group fighting through corridors or alien terrain against a much larger force to save someone is getting kinda old(5 of the 8 episodes have bean about this)

10. SoonerSean

SoonerSean Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2007
    I think my issue with Jar Jar is that it's like watching a Tom and Jerry or Daffy Duck cartoon... he's so clumsy and over the top that I keep thinking someone will just shoot him like Indy shot the guy with the sword in Raiders of the Ark. I can see humor, i.e. the way he talks, but not the just absolute silliness that makes virtually every success an accident - he can't pick up a gun and shoot droids - he has to get his feet entangled in a droid and then flop it around to shoot. He can't toss a "bomb" - he has to juggled it and then it accidentally hit a target. Stuff like that.

11. darth_whatshisname

darth_whatshisname Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2008
    Well, in the Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin (one of the better trilogies from the bantam era) the hutts are able to switch genders to propagate. Much in the same way certain breeds of frogs are.

And yah, Ziro the hutt was annoying. The actor who portrayed him is typically used in animation circles to portray nerd, computer hacker type characters. I found it amusing though that the minute Ziro started speaking in huttese, he lost his lisping, high pitched squeal and become tolerable.

But I try not to be too hard on the movie. It really was about 4/5 pilot episodes just glued together. And there are precious few pilots that manage to get everything right, they are as much an introduction as they are a product for focus groups and forums to express what people thought the weaker elements and more compelling elements were so that the writers can trim the fat of the show.

I also felt that the film was WAY overbashed. I definitely felt that Ashoka was annoying at times, but not as annoying as some fans make her out to be. I felt that the films greatest weakness was that it seemed to have an identity crisis. For every clone shot in the head or through the chest, or cool lightsaber duel, we got moments that really were meant to pander to the children. Like obi-wan sipping tea in the middle of battlefield negotiations and the enemy general that was so stupid he actually bought into it, instead of... yknow, SHOOTING his enemy and ending the battle right there.

12. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Well the way i feel about the movie is if you call it the 2 hour pilot of the tv show than its just fine if not great because of how nice and long it is (i wish the episodes were longer) but if you call it a movie then its really not that good. I haven't ever thought of it as a movie so im fine with it.

The only thing that bothers me about the show is the music, theirs not supposed to be techno and electric guitars in star wars (:oops:) but other than that im more or less happy with the show.

13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Like obi-wan sipping tea in the middle of battlefield negotiations and the enemy general that was so stupid he actually bought into it, instead of... yknow, SHOOTING his enemy and ending the battle right there.
    Actually, that was one of my favorite parts. And not all that unrealistic: many people negotiate surrenders, particularly in the past they used to do it with a great deal of ceremony and pomp. As a historian, I got a kick out of it.

Also, it showed the CIS general wasn't a complete bastard and that Obi-Wan is rather tricky. And how he earned the name "the negotiator."

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There were electric guitars used in the Coruscant chase in AOTC.

15. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Wow so thats what that was! lol i always thought it was part of the background noise and not the score. It was really quick.

16. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I thought that was taken out? I heard it on the album but not in the movie.

There was a big guitar chord in "Destroy Malevolence" when Padme comes out of hyperspace and comes right up to the giant ship.

17. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    And let's not forget the synthesizer that was used in TESB when Luke first attempts to lift his X-Wing from the swamp. They also used synthesizer in Jabba's Palace, I think.

What this has to do with electronic guitars? Nothing, other the fact that both are rather progressive for an otherwise classic instrumental score.

18. Not--A-Moon

Not--A-Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    Don't ask me; I don't make a living writing scripts...however, I do think the production staff can do a lot better than this.

I think I see a new drinking game brewing...every time TCW has a plot where one of the characters is in need of rescuing; I say everyone takes a chug of their beer.

All I ask is that the Star Wars franchise get a little more original than borrowing plot points, dialogue, and colloquialisms from the original trilogy. Every time I see or hear something that has already been done in the original films, I totally cringe. I could barely stand it when I would see it in the prequels.

19. jonas_jade

jonas_jade Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2005
    I loved the episode and Jar Jar as well...

Not a classic or anything like that but definitely entertaining and a nice touch to bring Jar Jar back to the fore of an ep. It's a more appropriate arena for him to be a major player on rather than in the movies. And loved Padme pretty much saving herself!

The Clone Wars is bringing me back to Star Wars!

20. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Okay, Nute really was white, or gray, or something. He was standing right there with a couple of Rodians who were perfectly green in the same lighting. Odd choice, but hey.

I did like the Rodia design, but the planet was sorta bereft of, like, Rodians. In fact the oddest thing to me about TCW, just feel-wise, is that it seems kinda more sparsely populated than the films... Rodia and the Toydarian moon were basically empty; Jabba's palace was a lot less bustling, etc. Possibly a budget thing... it just contrasts to the massive amount of clones and droids, who look great in big throngs.

The single main weakness of this one was that it was obviously edited way the hell down, and it left bigger plot holes than in previous episodes. Which probably means it was originally pretty tightly plotted and tough to cut. Really really hope the DVD restores the 30 minute versions of all the episodes.

Love the show. Star Wars every week. If they'd had that when I was a kid, I wouldn't've had to waste my time trying to like Buck Rogers. My kids just don't know how good they have it (and yeah, they loved Jar Jar).

21. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I thought Nute's color looked pretty much like this,

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/b/b6/Nutegunraygeonosis.jpg/428px-Nutegunraygeonosis.jpg]

I think you're thinking about Rune Haako, he's green.

22. DarthNotsonice

DarthNotsonice Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2005
    Neimoidian have a corpse-like pallor to them.
    I think that is what is supposed to be suggested
    by their muted usually ashen coloring.

I'm liking the series so far,they're not using Maya
    for the Animation but some Autodesk program,it reduces
    the cost but I think they are also going for a marionette
    "Thunderbirds" look from the Wikipedia article I read on it.

Alot of critics of the show and movie. I think this is the
    perfect vehicle for Jar Jar Binks and the Slug Monster is a
    variation on the Dagobah Swamp Slug.

23. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    Awesome point and totally not out of character given the origins of the actor who orignally played Obi-wan. One of AG's most noteable roles was in Bridge over the river Kwai where a captured British Officer tries to negoiate the term of his men's servitude. I think the surrender scene was an homage to that. Brillant piece of work.

As to the over thirty crowd discussion, I became a bit angry that before the movie was released most of the older fans on the boards and I am not saying everyone just alot hated the idea of CW and kept calling it a Saturday Morning cartoon show. This ticked me off because first off it isn't on Saturday morning and secondly it is an incredibly detail primetime animated TV show. Now after several strong episodes this "Saturday Morning Cartoon Show" is being done well enough for them. Oh the plot lines are the same, they steal from the original trilogy, it doesn't meet my expectations. So which is it? Either you relegate it to the status of spongebob squarepants or you pan it because it isn't meeting your high ideals. To me it is good solid Star Wars Entertainment and for twenty minutes a week I get transported to a GFFA and then afterwards I have to return to a life in the real world and i enjoy every minute of that 20 minutes. Some of the stories may not be my favorite but then again I have that with any TV show I like and I am willing to leave it at that. I am glad to see though that alot of older fans came around and their headstrong "Not watching it, Don't care about the Clone wars" opinions have changed.

24. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I actually didn't like the Padme rescuing herself thing, at least not for this episode. She did it in TPM, she did it in AOTC, and then she did it again in Destroy Malevolence. It's getting to be a little too convenient....and besides this was supposed to be Jar Jar's day in the sun.

25. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    It's better than always being helpless. Besides Jar Jar did save the day by getting the giant sea creature to attack Nute and the battledroids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.