main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side The Complete Jedi Costume Guide

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jyro-Kyrn, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I've sorta used patterns where my sleeves are a seperate piece, from the front and back panels of the robe. Does anyone know of a pattern that allows for other then a straight sleeve?

2. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    the original post only describes obi-wan's robes. what about everybody else? anybody have any unique designs?

3. Ritoru_Bushi

Ritoru_Bushi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2004
    Actualy, what Obi-Wan was wearing in ANH is called a haori. I wore one for a wedding. Full length hakama pants, haori jacket, kimono over-robe, and geta sandals. But it's still easy to come by, even in the right color too! You could also use a simple hanten inplace of a haori. In fact it might be closer to the right length. Here's a link to a very trustworthy japanese clothing site that I've used before.

http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/index.3html.htm

4. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    I really don't think it was a Haori.

5. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Mine varies from the original a bit. You can check it out here.

6. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    "Mine varies from the original a bit."

ah, but which is the original? maybe obi-wan's robes were wierd by jedi standards. i've never seen another knight in the movies dress the same. just about every fan with a costume dresses the same though

you're costume does have a little uniqueness to it, though. are your food capsules lids from BIC grip permanent markers? i've got one right in front of me.

7. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Actually the Obi-Wan like design is teh common one in the movies. Watch teh arena battle a few times ;)

8. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Jyro-Kyrn, your costume looks great!

I really like the darker elements mixed in with the lighter. It makes for a much more visually engaging ensemble, I think, than the all-one-color approach.

9. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    "Actually the Obi-Wan like design is teh common one in the movies. Watch teh arena battle a few times"

i just watched the arena battle, and most of the jedi wear qui-gon style robes, with the inner tunic being lighter and the outer tunic ranging from tan to grey to dark brown. they have the tabards hanging at the back, no tucks in the shoulders, and the "skirts" are usually longer, to the knee at least. very different from obi wan. also, kit fisto wears a high collared shirt instead of an undertunic.

10. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I agree. Obi's costume is the "pretty boy" version of the Jedi costume. More detail, more tailoring. Most are a good bit simpler.

I always think of Obi's as the standard because (IMHO) Obi is THE Jedi. I mean really, if you could choose any Jedi to be you might pick Mace or Yoda, but wouldn't it be great to have the girls swoon at you?! Obi has style and grace, composure. And Vader isn't his mistake. Ani was a spoiled brat from the beginning. Obi's mistake was to listen to Qui-Gon and accept the charge to train him. He never should have been trained. Uh, am I off topic?!

Thanks for the comments on the costume. Yes, they are BIC Grip roller pens. $6 a box as opposed to $3 each for the no longer existing staedler caps. I filled them with that metal putty stuff. Worked pretty good. The look awesome and are very durable.

11. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    "I mean really, if you could choose any Jedi to be you might pick Mace or Yoda, but wouldn't it be great to have the girls swoon at you?! Obi has style and grace, composure."

we've seen 4 versions of obi wan. reckless impatient kid with a nervous sabre-spinning habit, same kid pretending to be a master, slightly eccentric old man, and dead slightly eccentric old man. you seem to be thinking of qui-gon jinn. aside from the swooning part. i don't know who that would be.

12. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    i just watched the arena battle, and most of the jedi wear qui-gon style robes, with the inner tunic being lighter and the outer tunic ranging from tan to grey to dark brown. they have the tabards hanging at the back, no tucks in the shoulders, and the "skirts" are usually longer, to the knee at least. very different from obi wan. also, kit fisto wears a high collared shirt instead of an undertunic.

Watch again ;)

I wasn't meaning colours or anything. The majority of the Jedi costumes have the tabards end at the obi. Mace for instance has a costume very much like Obi Wan.

Qui-Gon had shoulder tucks far as I know.

And the tunic length was also something that changes.

Kit fisto has 2 inner tunics, one is high collared.

[image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Episode_2/Characters/Kit_Fisto/aotc-kit_fisto_lg02.jpg]

Can kinda see it there.

13. Jaareth

Jaareth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2004
    one thing ive noticed bout kit fisko...is his makeup seems to run down the back of his neck...quite aways infact...i think they high collar was to save on makeup and to make a smooth transition from the makeup to the costume..otherwise the lower neckline would have warranted more makeup. :p

14. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    "I wasn't meaning colours or anything. The majority of the Jedi costumes have the tabards end at the obi."

not from what i've noticed. obi-wan's doesn't even end there in episide 2, it's one flap that hangs down the back.

"Mace for instance has a costume very much like Obi Wan."

aside from the different material, cut, length, colour, and general shape. plus the darth sidious style cloak

"Qui-Gon had shoulder tucks far as I know."

if he did, the thinner material he wore made them virtually invisible, while obi-wan's shoulders looked like he had 2 pairs of tabards

"Kit fisto has 2 inner tunics, one is high collared."

so he has a shirt, a darker inner tunic, and an outer tunic. i gues anakin and bultar swan have 2 sets of tabards, makes sense somebody else'd have 2 inner layers.

15. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Obi-Wans tabards end at the Obi at the back, no flaps no nothing, they end. The front they extend to the edge of the tunic.

[image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/12352/ep2pouchjpg.jpg]

What I meant from style was this:

Inner Tunic same cut and shape, next layer is a Tunic, same shape and cut. Sleaves are about the same width, then you have two tabards that extend a degree to the edge of the tunic and stop at the obi in the back, then the Obi.
    The tunic also has a shoulder tuck, just not as noticeable.

Fabrics and colours aside, its teh same costume, or style thereof.

[image=http://www.padawansguide.com/mace/promo_mace3.jpg]

The Robe with the larger belled sleaves also don't make it radically differnt, just the sleaves and hood are bigger.

Thats what the most customization Trisha made on teh Jedi outfit aside from a few notables. Colours, fabric and length was what she mainly played with.

Bultar Swan does not have cloth tabards. And anakins are the same as Obi-Wans, ends at the back of the Obi, but they extend at the front under the leather tabards.

16. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    The Jedi Belt

Two things, one advice the second a question.

In the initial post its ask for comments on how the belt is attached. What I did for mine was use industrial strength velcro fastener to close it at the back, then the wide loop covers up the excess and the seam giving the appearance of a smooth belt.

I have seen some belts using side release buckles at the back, but that doesn't seem to be very flexible to adjust to different waist sizes.

OK, now my question for the experts.

Speaking of side-release buckles, that is the type they used in AOTC for the buckle in front attached to the smaller, inner, belt.

Has anyone found the exact model they used? I've seen many but not with quite the right shaped release mechanism. Also the buckles are metallic (nickel plated?) in appearance. 99% of the time I only see black nylon variations. Did they paint them or are the buckles used actually made from metal?

I did a look around, and found no one ever discussing that particular element of the belt. So any suggestions?
    -----signature-----

John H. VanOphem

To answer your question about the belt buckles, I would suggest that you go to www.saberbelt.com (or www.saberbelts.com) and check out his stuff. He sells whole completed saberbelts or the various parts to the belts as well as saber parts like the knobs and such.

17. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    Does anyone have advice about doing a Jedi Padawan braid? (Apart from spending months actually growing one )
    -----signature-----

France has developed a new four-tiered system of terror alertness. In order they are:
    Run
    Hide
    Surrender
    Collaborate

Halloween costuming shops usually have the braids in the form of a kid's padawan outfit. I had one once. They are extremely cheesey, but they do work. Basically it is braided horse hair that is attached to something of a gator clip. You clip it on your hair, or in my case since I wear glasses I clipped it to the earpiece of my glasses.

18. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    My advice is to talk with Primrodo - he has that down cold and I am sure he would be happy to help you out :)

Dave

19. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Whoa, that was something I asked over a year ago.

Yep, I know Dave has the buckles now. Thats where I got mine from! :)

20. SkoXylo

SkoXylo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    Okay, I've been following this thread for a while, and I want to pitch in my 2 cents. First off, you all have provided great questions and great answers! I have a few suggestions. First, a suggestion for pants. Simplicity pattern 5965 is great for women. The pattern is made for cottons, skilks, and linens. When I made pants from it I used linen and did not wash it first, so when it was washed it shrunk up enough to go from being loose drawstring pants to well fitted Jedi pants! Also, I've heard mention of problems keeping pants where they belong under boots. Something I've found works wonderfully is stretched out hair elastics (the ouchless kind is best). They're easy to stretch out (my hair did the work for me, but a glass or something would work too) and they stay put really well.

Now, I did have a question also. I'm working on a new robe, and I was wondering if anyone had tried using superfine wool. I found a decent deal on some but I will have to order it from the net and I haven't found any in town to see/feel.

21. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    SkoXylo: My robe is made of lightweight wool gabardine. Because it is so voluminous, a lightweight is good. I don't know if I'd characterize mine as "super fine" but it is fairly thin. It has worked out well.

I also got wool melton and made a winter coat for street wear in a modified Jedi robe pattern (smaller hood, narrower sleeves, not quite ankle length). The melton is very heavy. It works OK as a winter coat as it keeps me warm and dry but I wouldn't want it as my Jedi robe.

22. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    lgtsbr has found the exact buckle used on Anakin and Mace in AOTC/Ep3, contact him for it :) Its nickle plated brass I think.

As for the braid its easy, just get some fake hair or real hair that matches your own and braid it tight, pick some colours for embriodery floss and wrap :)

23. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    "Obi-Wans tabards end at the Obi at the back, no flaps no nothing, they end. The front they extend to the edge of the tunic."

watch during the hangar duel or the conversation on coruscant before the assassination attempt

"Fabrics and colours aside, its teh same costume, or style thereof."

but that's the entire point. what most costumers try to make is an exact replica of obi-wan's costume. colours and all. it just looks lame when there is no originality or variation.

"The Robe with the larger belled sleaves also don't make it radically differnt, just the sleaves and hood are bigger."

it hasa much more imposing look to it. windu in episode 1 looked a lot less impressive.

"Thats what the most customization Trisha made on teh Jedi outfit aside from a few notables. Colours, fabric and length was what she mainly played with."

understandable, considering the number of jedi in episode 2. only some of the chatacters were completely original. but even then, there's always variations. it's not a jedi uniform, really.

"Bultar Swan does not have cloth tabards."

odd

"And anakins are the same as Obi-Wans, ends at the back of the Obi, but they extend at the front under the leather tabards."

i really don't like the idea of them ending at the belt. it just seems odd.

my ideal jedi costume would be like obi-wan's, but longer, with tabards at the back, all black, with no inner tunic or pants, instead it'd be over a jumpsuit like skywalker's in episode 6 (but with cargo pockets), a belt with a different style clasp and 4 covertec clips, each with a d-ring hook attatched below it, and to top it off, darth sidious's cloak and clasp

24. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I have seen Star Wars-branded padawan braids for sale at conventions. Should be available in stores as well. They were cheap. Less than $2 US.

25. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    neo_mp5 - your ideal costume is a good idea - and one that you should look into making.

Mine has a darker grey inner tunic, black outer tunic, grey and black cloth tabbards that extend from the back of my knee up and over the shoulder to the front of my knee, belt (military style ballistic nylon), pouches (match belt), Covertec Clip for my saber (custom Anakin ep3), Metal Anakin Buckle in front, 8 food pellets, and my pants are standard police special teams issue black pants - so they have the cargo pockets.

My boots that I currently have are Black Magnum Police issue boots with a set of shin pads - I am waiting on my Anakin style boots so the current boots will be replaced.

My Cloak - once done will be an Anakin ep2 style of cloak.

I do have a question though - why 4 Covertec Clips with Saber Hooks below them? Are you thinking of attaching your pouches with the Covertecs? Not to be picky but that many Covertec Clips and Saber Hooks seems to be a bit overkill.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.