main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Creative Corner (for all things artistic)

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Strikes Back' started by RidingMyCarousel, May 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ok, here are two different covers I made for the novel I'm writing. Tell me which one you like best. If not... well I'm just going to keep posting my graphic art stuff anyway so whatever ;)

[image=http://gear.noerf.com/images/fiend2.jpg]

[image=http://gear.noerf.com/images/jude.jpg]

2. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I like the first one, Rachel. I think the muted colors bring more across with the picture. Nice job. :)

3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Heh, that picture uesed to be a black and white photo. Took me a while to colorize it right and all. Thanks for the comment. Anyone else have some thoughts?

Ok, now this is a story I wrote and which I have plans to extend into a longer story... maybe. I kind of need to know if that would work better. Anyway, if you have time, read, enjoy, comment, etc :)

------

Specter
    by solojones

Specter (n.)
    1. A ghostly apparition; a phantom 2. A haunting or disturbing image or prospect

An inky darkness. Calm, silent. Suddenly, dim moonlight appeared. The wood floor creaked slowly. A silhouette of a woman slid across the room. Sudden movement, a crash, a shout. Unintelligible flashes of images, one after the other. Bang, bang, bang! A knife slashing, followed by a thud. Raging eyes. The face of a boy. Shouting, and then blood, blood everywhere. A sharp chocking breath and the boy?s panicked face.
    Wake up!
    The woman bolted up and drew a few rapid gasps. Looking around the room, she saw there was no one there. Calm down, she thought. It was only a dream. She concentrated on slowing her breathing. She noticed that her nightgown was drenched in a cold sweat. Holding out her hand in front of her face, she could see that it was quivering. Only a dream, she repeated silently to herself.
    A glance over at the other side of the bed assured her that her husband still lay there, peacefully asleep. She swallowed. Her throat was dry, she needed water. Quietly, she slid out from underneath the covers. Her bare feet settled on the cold wooden floor. With a step, the boards creaked slightly. She was reminded of the dream. A dream, she chanted to herself, only a dream.
    She slid out the bedroom door, crept down the hall. The first room on the right was the kitchen. The door was not yet installed. Glancing around cautiously, she walked through the opening. She filled a glass from the sink, took a sip, and stopped. Something seemed familiar. For a split second, she had a feeling. ?Déjà vu,? she thought out loud, shaking her head. She paused, and then poured the rest of her water down the sink. With an exasperated sigh, she set the glass on the counter. It?s all in your head, she thought. Her mind was playing cruel tricks on her tonight.
    Turning, she saw a figure, a silhouette, standing in the doorway. Flash! A knife, cold eyes, blood splattering. She inhaled sharply, her breath catching in her chest. The figure in front of her stepped out into the light. No knife. It was a man, not a woman. He was tall and thin, with brown hair of no particular shade, and his eyes were comforting rather than cold. He was dressed in boxers and a white T-shirt. His face was one she had seen a countless number of times. It was her husband.
    ?What?s the matter?? he asked, his face full of concern.
    ?Steven!? she shouted, slapping him on the shoulder. ?Don?t do that!?
    He looked puzzled. ?Do what?? Steven asked. ?April, what?s wrong??
    She sighed. ?It?s nothing.? April wiped some sweat from her forehead. ?I just had a bad dream. It?s nothing, really.?
    Steven looked concerned. He put an arm around his wife. ?Come here,? he motioned with his head toward the table. The two sat down across from each other.
    ?I?m just nervous,? April reasoned, ?being in a new house.?
    ?First house,? Steven corrected, with a smile that was contagious. Reaching across the table, he took her hand in his. ?This place isn?t that creepy, is it?? he looked around at the stacks of boxes piled against both walls. ?Just a little messy.?
    April smiled half-heartedly. ?It?s not the house, it?s just? my brain has been messing with me lately. I need to get more sleep.?
    ?Well,? he said, ?I don?t think that?s going to be accomplished by late-night strolls through the kitchen.?
    She laughed sincerely. ?OK, I?ll come to bed in a minute. You go ahead, I just need to go to the bathroom.?
    Steven stood up and kissed her on the forehead. ?All right,? he said as he headed down the hall and back to bed.
    April brushed her hair back away from her face. Slowly, she stood a

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    On those covers I just edited out my last name, just so you know it would be after the 'R.D.' and in the same font ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.