main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Dark Side Beckons...again

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by DarthBoba, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owf-CO9pVrc&feature=related

I thought this scene in the movie was decent enough; I think the addition of the best piece of SW music ever makes it rule. Thoughts?

2. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    It's still a laughable scene. The music syncs up nicely, but I think it's a little too noble sounding.

3. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Noble-sounding? I've always considered that music to be anything but noble-sounding. :p

4. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Wow. That matched up almost perfectly. But... I'd still take what Williams originally composed for the scene.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think I prefer this version. That just made the scene seem a whole lot more ominous.

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I like it alot myself; it sorta overwhelms Palpatine's shouting.

7. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Well, here is the genius of Williams. It's not clear what is meant by "The Dark Side Beckons." On the surface it seems to be a dramatic accompaniment to Luke's fall to the dark side, but there's something joyous about it.

8. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    That moment is actually kind of cathartic, after all the cat-and-mousing that's been going on between them up to that point. Despite (or maybe because of) its brevity, it's more powerful and exciting than anything in the prequel duels. If only Battle of the Heroes (scene AND score) had been half as good as this...

9. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    Wait...are you talking about the scene in "Jedi" or the re-scored scene in "Sith" here? I can't tell. :p

...seriously.

10. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    The scene in Jedi.

As far as the RotS scene is concerned, I think the scene works best as originally scored. Now, I think the music from RotJ is much better music, because I don't think John Williams has really done anything in his old balls-to-the-wall style since Jurassic Park or even Hook, but that music just doesn't fit the scene on the screen.

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I've always thought it to be considered joyous from the Emperor's POV. Here he is, about to score his real Ultimate Apprentice..he's the only person who'd have come out of what nearly happens in the ROTJ scene with anything to be happy about. :p

12. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    The male choir, which is closely tied to the Emperor's theme (and the Dark Side itself), is clearly rejoicing in Luke's outburst of anger and hatred. It is great music for Jedi... but not ROTS. That scene is beyond saving.

13. tahiriveilax

tahiriveilax Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2008
    Ooh I love this song. Best song out of the whole trilogy. I'm listening to it now. The humming choir really gets to me, and it really makes you feel what is happening to Luke emotionally and no other musical piece has done that to me. It's so powerful.

14. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    I wouldn't be surprised if that's what was temp-tracked in before the final music was put in.

15. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I liked that :)

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I like how this thread pops up every few months or so. It's tenacious. :p

Glad you liked, Halibut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.