main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11.11.11

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by zacparis, Dec 11, 2010.

1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vga-10-tba-game-2/708369

Good.

FINALLY WOOOOOOOHOOOOO! *ahem*

February Gameplay Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSRtYpNRoN0&hd=1

2. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Glorious. GLORIOUS.

<h1>GLORIOUS</h1>

4. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I hope they bring back the nordic beards and tattoos from Morrowind.

Also, lol

5. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    I hope they fix third person view so it doesn't look like you're floating several inches off the ground :p

Anyway, I'm not very knowledgeable about Elder Scrolls lore (I've only played Oblivion and its expansions). What exactly is Skyrim? Person? Place? Animal? Vegetable? Mineral? :p

6. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    about freaking time!

skyrim is a northern province and odds are you will only be in that province. in morrowind you were only on the island of morrowind, part of vvardenfall. oblivion you were in the royal province (can't for the life of me remember the name right now though).

you can find a map pretty easily if you want to. just google elder scrolls map or something like that.

7. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    [image=http://b.imagehost.org/0739/Tamriel.png]

It's the northern region of Tamriel, home of the Nords. So expect a lot of snow and ice. [face_thinking]

8. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Aw man! I always hate the ice levels :(

edit: I'm sure the game will be awesome, of course. :) It's just that ice bums me out. Too many awful memories of sliding across blocks of ice in any number of platformers only to fall to my untimely death. Also, Hoth. So many Hoth levels.

9. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    TES ice is... not like that. did you ever go north east in oblivion? it's gorgeous ice levels, that are fun. and morrowind, solstheim (one of the expansions) was one of the best parts of the game, and it was nothing BUT winter. so this doesn't bother me in the least. not even a smidge.

on another note, is that in game graphics? o_O i know that bethesda doesn't really do cutscenes, so if that is in game type graphics then good lord that's pretty.

oh, my brother's reaction to finding out the place? hell yea!

last note right now... DRAGONS!!!

10. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Well, word on the street is that it's still using the Gamebryo engine, so it'll look similar to Oblivion and Fallout 3. It's a shame they're not pushing the visuals, but hopefully that means they'll put more effort into content and writing.

11. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    if they change the way skills work, I'm all over this

Not versed in the lore, what is Skyrim?

12. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Morrowind was also the gamebryo engine, yet you wouldn't argue they didn't make a severe visual improvement from there to Oblivion, would you?

Incidentally, we've known it was going to be called Skyrim since before Oblivion came out. :p

14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    It's about ****ing time. Been waiting for this for years.

15. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Oh I fully expect them to blow us away even using an ageing engine. They do have the limitation of designing this for five year old consoles though, I just hope it doesn't hold the PC version back too much.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    They've said they intended it to look like a next-gen game, for whatever that's worth. But yeah, the consoles are ancient at this point.

I'm wondering if the "Dragon Born" bit is going to mean that we play the Enantiomorph, or possibly another Septim. That would be fascinating.

17. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    "Hell, it's about damn time."
    [image=http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/2/26621/1563074-500x_starcraft_2_beta_01_super.jpg]

18. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I can't wait to see the engine, seeing as it's probably what Fallout 4 will end up made made out of.
    Otherwise, will probably play it for an hour or so before getting bored rigid of it, as was the case with the last two.

19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Playing an Elder Scrolls game for an hour is akin to not even arriving at the starting line for running a marathon. You haven't even started yet at that point.

20. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Yeah, I did that. And the thing I remember best about it is that the mountains kept ticking me off because I couldn't find a proper path through them :p

21. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    They should make the game insanely pretty and then just put a lot of fog in the console versions...

cuz honestly, I don't have high hopes for its visuals - and don't say they're not important, they practically built two games out of the awe of stepping out of the sewers/vault...

and I hope they don't repeat Fallout3's skill-idiocy that forced you to take Small Arms because those are all you get for like 15 levels. Thinking up skill-combinations was half the fun in Oblivion and add replayability. I played FO3 once and see no reason to play it ever again.
    No, I don't think Skyrim will be "Fallout 3 with swords" :p TESV just needs some thought put into it - and The Nine know actual thought is sorely lacking in the game industry these days. [face_peace]

22. Carlis

Carlis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2008
    This from Bethesda's Twitter:

"Seeing lots of speculation about #tesv game engine. It's brand new... and it's spectacular!"

Pretty exciting! Though now maybe my computer won't run it... [face_worried]

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    New engine! Praise be to Talos!

24. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    new engine? that's epic. wonder what new stuff they can do with it.

25. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    yeah, someone just linked me to an article about that. I take everything back :D

well, about the visuals at least. the other worry still stands :p