main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Electronica Enthusiasts Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by jediguy, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    I'm sure we have a few fans of Electronica music in these forums. Just interested in the particular style(s) you may like, and to discuss the merit(s) of the different styles and artists.

Personally, I'm impartial to Euphoric Trance (Bedrock - Heaven Scent, Pulsar - Lightwave, Joshua Ryan - All) Progressive House (Hybrid - Finished Symphony Remix, Chicane - Saltwater) and Drum and Bass (Most of DJSS's stuff.) Of course, I listen to most of this stuff at home, not being 18 and Raveable, so I don't really appreciate Hard House, Psy-trance as of yet, but my limited experience with (one) Beach rave tells me those harder styles of Electronica can be quite different in a different environment.

Your thoughts/opinions?

2. jediguy

Jun 10, 2000
    *sigh*

When I wake up, I'll expect some good discussion. Otherwise there'll be heads rolling. [face_plain]

3. Nrf-Hrdr

Nrf-Hrdr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2000
    I like a fair amount of electronica, though I tend to levitate towards the more "arty" Autechre-style stuff rather then the more overtly 'dance' people, you know? I'd say 'Geogaddi' by the Boards Of Canada may well be the only worthwhile album that's come out this year (which isn't saying all that much, admittedly).

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I'm a big fan of trip-hop & chill out music. Portishead, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Rae & Christiansen, Tricky, dZihan & Kamien, Talvin Singh.

5. Darth Dradus

Darth Dradus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2000
    Where would you put Wumpscut? Darkwave or Industrial?

6. rookie

rookie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 27, 1999
    word on trip-hop merkurian. definitely into portishead, morcheeba, massive attack, etc.

i tend to like the more laid back stuff like air and zero-7 and also stuff by dj shadow and dj krush.

lately i've been getting into some new stuff by kid loco, mum, and marumari.

7. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I became interested in Electronica when I was maybe 7 and my cousin sent me a mix tape of dance/techno music... this was in like 1992. He sent 2 more, and eventually (just a few year ago) sent 3 more...

There's one song in particular I've been looking for - it's an electronic beat set to actual quotes from the Kennedy Administration/Space Program (Very cool stuff...)

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

And are 1) BT, 2) Art of Noise clasified as 'electronica'?

8. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    I love electronic music (as rookie can attest to). Everything from its early days on through to its clubbing era. I enjoy most styles, but I'm particularly fond of artists like Banco de Gaia, Baby Mammoth, Orb, Loop Guru, Fila Brazillia, Sven Vath, Mouse On Mars, Peace Orchestra, Muslimgauze, FSOL, and especially Kraftwerk.

9. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Aaaah....yeah, I turned 21 and entered the club scene just as electronica was getting big. Meat Beat Manifesto, the Shamen, Consolidated, MC 900ft. Jesus, Prodigy (yes Prodigy, before they turned to the dark side) the Orb, Orbital, Homeboy Hippie and a Funki Dredd, System 7, the Grid, Nitzer Ebb, and countless single-track artists.

Aaaaah...

10. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2002
    Ummagumma, The Greatest Probe Droid Ever Activated, has his music on kazaa, labled as Delta 9.2

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Geez Merkurian, reading your post was like taking a walk down memory lane! :D

"Prodigy (yes Prodigy, before they turned to the dark side)..."
    LOL! I was just listening to Charly by them a few nights ago.

Does anyone remember a song called Papua New Guinea by The Future Sound of London? That, hands down, has got to be my favorite electronica song of all times.
    Aaaaaaah yes...the summer of '92.....

12. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Ah yes, Papau New Guinea. It sounds like a chilled-out version of Radio Babylon by Meat Beat Manifesto. Love 'em both, though!

You know that FSOL is William Orbit, right? AKA Amorphous Androgynous and Bass-O-Matic. Also the same William Orbit that's produced a couple of Madonna albums.

Madonna, now there's a love/hate thing regarding her electronica. On one hand, she takes Security of the First World by Public Enemy, lays vocals over it, and calls it Justify My Love :mad: but on the other hand, the title track of Bedtime Stories is absolutely brilliant!

*end of rant*

One of my all-time faves is Disk Two of the Orb's Adventures Beyond the Outerworld 5 tracks, seamless blending, one hour of bliss.

13. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    Electronica?

One word:

V A N G E L I S

(Pronounced "The #!@($* master of electronic synthesis")

14. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    SnowDog-

Bladerunner:

Best. Soundtrack. Ever.

15. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Tangerine Dream, The Shaman, even Depeche Mode. Man, I love electronica!!!!

16. Darth_SnowDog

Sep 10, 2001
    Dude... I used to have a kick-butt Shamen maxi-single CD... and I lost it, but I found one on ebay and got it for like 4 bucks... it's the Move Any Mountain Progen '91 Remix CD.

AWESOME remixes of that track, not to mention about 15-18 tracks of each sound looped in their mixes, so you can sample and remix the sounds, lyrics, etc. to your liking!

I've got a sampling workstation synth at home, and I have yet to try putting something together.

Vangelis favorites (these are from my collection, ordered by date of release):

Heaven & Hell, Albedo 0.39, Spiral, China, Friends of Mr. Cairo (w/Jon Anderson of Yes), See You Later, Antarctica, Soil Festivities, Direct, Themes, The City, 1492: Conquest of Paradise, Blade Runner, Voices, Foros Timis Ston Greko (A Tribute to El Greco), Portraits (compilation), Oceanic, Mythodea: Music for the NASA Mission - 2001 Mars Odyssey.

P.S.: For Blade Runner, the 1995 re-recording is the only one worth having... All the music was recompiled, produced, arranged and performed by Vangelis (most of it was re-recorded from scratch). the original release was actually an orchestral interpretation of his work and it was horrible by comparison.

Trivia: He was invited to replace Rick Wakeman as the keyboardist for Yes, but graciously declined after realizing he's too independent in his process of creation to join another band.

17. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I forgot Orb... like that too...

18. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    I love Vangelis as well, i just got the blade runner soundtrack and a compilation called Themes. Gorgeous stuff, kind of an influence for my own music. All the other stuff i have of his is still on vinyl.

FSOL isn't william orbit. Check my link in my bio. But they are amorphous androgynous, and a.a. has a new album coming out next month i believe.
    "Papau New Guinea" got its own remix album recently, called "Translations". I haven't seen it in any stores yet, i'll probably have to order it as an import. But on their homepage (check my bio) there is a nice link under "translations" where you can hear some of the mixes.

Actually don't check my bio, just click here. Link originally provided by KlingKlang. ;)

fsol

19. rookie

rookie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 27, 1999
    klingklang, i just started listening to some Mouse On Mars, any suggestions?

btw, have you heard anything by herbert or mr. scruff? my friend burned me their cd's and i think you might like some of it.

20. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    I'm so looking forward to that new Amorphous Androgynous album. It's about time!

rookie: The only thing I've heard from Mr. Scruff is Keep It Unreal, which I really like. But I haven't heard anything from Herbert except some of his remixes. What's his own material like?

As for MOM, their first two releases (Vulvaland and Iaora Tahiti) are their most melodic. Then they started getting into 'IDM' and went quirky. So if you prefer that Aphex Twin style, you might want to check out Idiology or Autoditacker. My favorite by them is Glam but I only have it on vinyl. I found the CD once but it's Japanese only and I couldn't afford it.

21. jediguy

Jun 10, 2000
    Tip for Electronica Newbies: If you're having trouble differentiating the different styles of Electronica, go here, and click on the 'Electronic Music Guide', which gives you samples of every style of Electronica. Oh, and don't take any notice of his opinions - he hates Trance. Bastard.

22. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    I've noticed recently in the media and clubs, a return to Gary Numan/Depeche Mode style "Electrofunk"© ©UKS.

I never liked or used the term "Electronica" myself, but if we are going to call it that, then my faves include (but not exclusively and no particular order)

Prodigy (ALL Era's. Even there Sex Pistol-esque musings of their new single)
    Leftfield
    Orbital
    Josh Wink
    Timo Haas (Azzido de Bass)
    Paul Van Dyke - little "pop" but good.
    Depeche Mode
    Bronski Beat
    Underworld
    Roni Size
    Kosheen
    Chemical Brothers
    Lamb
    Basement Jaxx.
    EDIT: Faithless, how could I forget you!
    EDIT2: Daft Punk

Maybe you could squeeze Massive Attack under this label, though "Trip-Hop" is probably closer..
    And a million and one "one hit wonders" .

I tell you, you have not appreciated some of this stuff till you heard it "banging" out in a club.

NOTE: A lot of guys on that list skirt the definition of "Electronica" (which I assume is "Similar to Kraftwerk"), but hey... who cares!

UKS

EDIT: Ah, I see your definition covers all what I picked..excellent!

AND

That website, ( Ishtur),is excellent, if only for featuring "Eurodance" personified by Haddaway's "What Is Love?"

Damn, I love and hate that Cheeze-epic.

23. Darth_SnowDog

Sep 10, 2001
    Jediguy: Just FYI, in case your post was directed at me... I'm not a newbie to electronica, nor musicology. I compose, arrange, perform, record, produce and master my own electronic music (including that which falls into the "electronica" category, a rather ambiguous moniker, IMO).

As such, I regard various pioneers in electronic synthesis as the forefathers of "electronica". This includes Vangelis whose incorporation of "pulses" into his early works, mastery of keyboards, percussion and various other instruments bears certain influence on the beat-driven genre of electronica . One of the problems that strikes me lately is the categorization of Vangelis as strictly "New Age". He began his career as a composer and electronic synthesist long before "new age" existed.

So... where do I place him? Well, it's not as simple as it seems since his work has influenced all other students of electronic music, both analog and digital synthesis, and he has, at various stages throughout his career, explored all sorts of musical avenues... opera, classical, neoclassical, film scores, electronica, experimental, fusion, rock, pop, new age, jazz, funk, etc.

My simplest answer is that this legendary pioneer is in a category all his own. Anyone who wants to understand the roots of all forms of electronic music should study the contributions of Vangelis, Kraftwerk, Robert Moog, John Cage, Edgard Varese and other such historical benchmarks of musical experimentation in the 20th century.

Electronic Music Foundation

Edgard Varese: Father of Electronic Music

Elsewhere: A Vangelis Fan Website

24. jediguy

Jun 10, 2000
    No, don't worry, I wasn't referring to you. :)

25. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Here lately, I've been very fond of certain compilations, mostly chill-out stuff.

Cafe Del Mar (especially 5 & 6)
    Jesus Life for Children Under 12"
    This Is Acid Jazz: After Hours (a luscious blend of jazz & trip-hop)

Oh yeah, just like the Orb's Adventures Beyond the Outerworld is one of my "classic" electronica faves, disk two of the K&D Sessions is one of my "contemporary" favorites. What Kruder & Dorfmeister did to Bone Thugs n' Harmony is gorgeous beyond words!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.