main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The ending of TPM

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by -NaTaLie-, Nov 14, 2012.

1. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I used to be lukewarm on the ending of TPM thinking it was mostly a ripoff ANH (except that the good guys didn't really win this time). However, during my last watching of Menace, I was suddenly very moved. Seeing all the key characters of the prequel trilogy in a scene of celebration while knowing what's awaiting them in the next 12 years or so... And, especially, seeing little Ani in with a padawan haircut and in (still) light-colored clothes, looking forward to his training... And then smiling at his future love... It really got me this time.

Knowing that the song was actually a variation of Emperor's theme made a supposedly happy scene rather creepy. In the context of the saga, it was rather brilliant.

2. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    I know what you mean, the more times you watch it, the more it will move you because the more you understand the tragedy and what awaits them. Basically what you said:oops:

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    I couldn't agree more. The absolutely the love the funeral scene of Qui-Gon, showing Palpatine, Padme, Obi-Wan and Anakin just as you're hearing Mace say to Yoda: "but which was killed, the master or the apprentice?". And then the cut-in to the celebration at the end with the variation of the Emperor's theme. Agreed that it was brilliant! Excellent ending to TPM.

4. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    The fact that the camera just pans over slowly to Palpatine in that scene is creepy. Chilling, in a way.

5. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Well, yes, the funeral scene is wonderful. It's the celebration scene that I wasn't fond of until recently.

6. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    It really does make the rest of the PT a little more tragic. TPM ends on a very high note and gives more weight to fall and what happens during the remaining two films.

thesevegetables likes this.
  7. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    mysterious

8. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    It really does make the rest of the PT a little more tragic. TPM ends on a very high note and gives more weight to fall and what happens during the remaining two films.[/quote]
    Especially if you were a first time star wars viewer and you see Palpatine there go from good guy to bad guy.

9. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I always liked the ending to Phantom Menace mainly for the reasons people disliked it to be honest. In being Episode 1, to me it only made sense for George Lucas to pay homage to the first Star Wars film, the very film which made the prequels marketable in the first place. Plus, the exemplifies the saying, "you say it best when you say nothing at all."

Alexrd likes this.
  10. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    The celebration at the end of the Phantom Menace distracts you from the real menace that was in the process of destroying the Old Republic. The next two films show the fall. A New Hope ends with a celebration, too, and that follows with the good guys winning in the next two films.

11. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    The good guys do not win in Empire Strikes Back. ಠ_ಠ

12. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    The guy guys are in the process of winning in the Original Trilogy. The Empire Strikes back is mostly a transition between A New Hope and the Return of the Jedi.

13. BoomBach

BoomBach Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2012
    At the end of the Empire Strikes back the rebels were on the ropes and nearly beaten with the loss of Hoth and other major bases. They were in the process of winning as much as the Jedi were in the Second Jedi Purge...

14. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Not true, they lost one base but most Rebels escaped. Also, after the loss of the DS the Empire must have lost a grip on quite a few systems, we just don't see it on screen.

15. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    The rebels may have been losing battles in the Empire Strikes Back, but in the next film, they win the war.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have always loved the ending of TPM for precisely the reasons you listed. My favorite parts were Anakin and Padme exchanging smiles and then Padme handing Boss Nass the peace globe.

I had the thought of, yeah, we all know this is going to turn ugly very soon, especially with Palpatine getting elected Chancellor and promising to "watch [Anakin's] career with great interest," but at least they get to be happy for a little while.

thesevegetables likes this.
  17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The Yoda puppet actually looked decent in that scene.

leehashbrown likes this.
  18. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    I have come to appreciate TPM. Seeing it in 3D, in the theater again after 10 years, really was enjoyable. I was moved a few times and to my surprise...Jar Jar didn't kill me anymore. Not sure if its an appreciation as a part of a greater sum? or gradual fanboy apathy :) The ending was very much a nod to ANH.

19. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I love the ending of TPM. Everything after Qui-Gon dies is really a highlight of Episode I.

20. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    They kinda lost in The Empire Strikes Back, you know.

21. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    It's also the first and last time we see Anakin wearing light robes until the ending of ROTJ.

LordMortis315 likes this.
  22. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    It could have done with some cardboard cut outs to complete the homage...no, Jar Jar doesn't count.

23. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    The ending of TPM was sheer brilliance: Obi-wan insisting to Yoda that he train Anakin, the telling conversation between Yoda & Mace @ Qui-gon's funeral, the meeting between Anakin & Palpatine, and of course the excellent parade sequence, with amazing music. A lot of foreshadowing re: what the future would bring, and I agree that seeing Anakin dressed as a Padawan was actually quite tragic, since we knew what was going to happen with him.

24. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    That was the only thing I disliked about TPM was the Yoda puppet. It's cool to see that fixed that in the BR editions.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I like the ending to TPM. Very similar to ANH.I like happy endings. I know the Celebration Theme is the Emperor's Theme but different style of notes? Tone? What?