main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~The ERAGON Movie Discussion Thread~ May your swords stay sharp!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by LilyHobbitJedi, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    There is isn't there [face_laugh]

I finished it the other day. I really enjoyed it but I think they would have a bit more trouble adapting it. What with the jumping back and forth between characters.

2. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    When Eldest eventually gets adapted, it'll be more TT, ESB. Eragon is a linear road journey about the bonds of friendship like ANH, TPM, FOTR, etc.

3. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I guess so. I've just never read ESB or TT so I don't know what the time they spend apart looks like on paper. It probably wouldn't be any different then Lukes time in ESB it just seemed like while reading Eldest I almost started to wonder if it was all going to be about the brother.

4. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I can imagine that Eldest will probably seem alot like TTT and ESB. It just depends on whether or not they'll have good a good director and screenwriters. I certainly hope so.

5. weezer

May 16, 2001
  6. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    New trailer looks great. I love the chorals.

7. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003

After being only aware of the film being made and having never read the book I've been surprised as to how much people are looking forward to this.

On sunday I went to the London Expo where they were really loving the videogame for the film and also giving out copies of the book's first chapter.

Now I've seen the trailers. Oh MAN they rock.

If those trailers don't get people to see this movie then something is very wrong indeed. I got chills watching them.

8. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    Just saw the new trailer, it was awesome.:D Can't wait to see the movie. December 15th won't get here fast enough!

9. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Eragon is still a far cry from LOTR and Narnia in both quality and in the box office. If it opens past 50 I'll be surprised especially with the family-friendly competition in Charlotte's Web.

10. StarWarsFreak444

StarWarsFreak444 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 28, 2005
    I love the inheritence trilogy

I think Eragon is gonna be so coooool. The trailor is just awesome. I so can't wait to see it!!!!

11. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    On ABC family they are showing sneak peeks from the movie and I just saw a scene that looked awesome. It showed a baby Saphira, and then an older Saphira, and it showed the starts of Eragon/Saphira's mental communication. It's definitely making me even more excited to see the movie.

12. DreamingIce

DreamingIce Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2005
    Oh thank god. I was worried that they would gloss over the Eragon/Saphira connection, and make Saphira a 'beastie companion' (what's the web adress for that, BTW?)

And in regards to parallels, Paolini is a young writer, still developing his skills, IMO. And I actually think that the third book will reveal that some of the parallels aren't so parallel either. Like I don't think Eragon is Morzan's son and is only Murtagh's HALF-brother.

On Murtagh, though, at the risk of me sound like a twitty, lusty fangirl, who else like Garrett Hudlund, the actor playing Murtagh? I thought Ed Speelers was good, but...=P~ It must be the dark hair. I have a thing for dark hair.

13. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I would definitely agree with that. Which has made me even more the curious about how it does.

Has anybody seen the film yet? It came out yesterday if I'm not mistaken....

14. StarWarsFreak444

StarWarsFreak444 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 28, 2005
    I'm So juiced for this movie!!! :)

I can tell it's gonna be so goooood!!!

15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I can tell it's gonna be so goooood!!!

based on..?

its been getting awful reviews. pretty much the polar opposite of ROTK (not that i cared much for that).

16. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I heard they really butchered the book up. Something potentially doesn't deserve 99 minutes of screentime. Try 150 or more.

17. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    from what i've read, that really doesn't make much difference. the story seems copied from star wars and lord of the rings.

18. CJS

CJS Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    The previews for this film do nothing for me. It looks like a bad remake of the Dungeons and Dragons film from a few years back. This movie will be suck-tas-tic.

19. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Ouch. You guys are harsh.

20. CJS

CJS Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    Harsh? Perhaps...but this movie just looks flat out bad.

21. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Maybe if PJ did the film, it'd be half decent, but considering the material...:p

22. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    I'm going to give the movie the benefit of the doubt, and I'm actually going to see the movie tonight at 7. Anyone else seeing it opening night?

23. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i have no plans yet to see it this weekend but probably sometime next week

24. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm hoping to see it tomorrow, since today's out of the question.

25. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, I ain't surprised. 13% at Rottentomatoes.

I had hoped it would at least garner a 50%, I really did, but I didn't have my fingers crossed. I'll probably be seeing it tonight with the dad and bro... will give my own personal thoughts tomorrow probably.

The critical consensus at RT is: "Eragon presents nothing new to the "hero?s journey" story archetype." This is my primary gripe with the Eragon series. I'm disappointed the filmmaker's have appeared to add nothing new or develop upon the characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.