main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Reader's Companion by Pablo Hidalgo.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , May 17, 2010.

1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Her face looks a little stretched. It reminds me of a chimpanzee.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Well, there was that old 'monkey-faced Leia' action figure..

TrakNar likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    This is going to sound like a tremendously annoying post but...uh...is it any good and should I get it? What's the upsides and downsides?

4. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Don't feel bad. I was about to post the same thing.

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    The upside appears to be that it has pretty pictures.
    The downside appears to be that we more or less got them all before it came out.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It's definitely useful if you're trying to remember a single event or character, and can't remember exactly what story it was in. Especially all those million Empire/NR-era short stories. Granted, you could always look it up on Wookieepedia, but the way the book is laid out it's a lot faster. Plus there's a lot of background info.

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Sadly, with the ERC, all I see is an attempt to marginalize the Clone Wars EU just to free up the era for TCW to do whatever it wants.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm enjoying reading it so far. I'm up to the end of the Clone Wars section.

9. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

yeah we all enjoy the END of TCW :p

it's like they wanted to not show us these messy chaotic gffa times but to have us feel them by turning continuity into a mess...

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I think that damage was already done; this is just the first book to reflect it.

Valin__Kenobi and Zeta1127 like this.
  11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, I know, the ERC is just an attempt to justify the changes TCW is making, but what did the introduction to the Clone Wars section say? The section on Jedi Trial has already been posted here, which confirmed my fears.

12. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    The last paragraph is comically dishonest and inaccurate. Grievous debuted four months into the war in the original Clone Wars timeline. Four months into a three-year conflict is not "relatively late." In real time, yes, he didn't show up until toward the end of the multimedia publishing project, so he appeared in relatively few stories... but why is that a bad thing? Maybe they forgot how much cooler Grievous was when he'd only occasionally show up for five seconds to look creepy or murder a bunch of people with minimal dialogue. The ERC is like "It's too bad TCW contradicted those other stories, but on the bright side, now that we know how the war turns out, the show can be filled with wall-to-wall Grievous action!" Except Grievous is an idiot now so who cares.

13. LordOblivion

LordOblivion Jedi Master star 1

Sep 15, 2006
    Nope. I'm disappointed that we still don't have a good image of Waru.

According to a pre-TCW Insider article entitled "Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous, he was present at the Battle of Geonosis.

14. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Yeah, wasn't he killing a bunch of Jedi in the catacombs or something? I don't think the Republic was aware of him until the Battle of Muunilinst, though. Before that he seemed to be doing mostly behind-the-scenes stuff while Sev'rance Tann ran the droid armies.

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Latest update from the world of Amazon UK: trouble finding stock, delivery now estimated mid November.

As I'm in no real rush for this, I thought it'd be comical to contrast this with those of you who've already had a delivery from overseas. :p

16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, actually the Battle of Hypori, which was concurrent with the Battle of Muunilinst, but the bottom line is, Grievous was active throughout the Clone Wars, unlike the ERC would have you believe.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yes, that's a weird paragraph. It's true he made a late appearance OOU, but he appeared all along the Clone Wars timeline (I mean, you can see The Soulless One during the Battle of Geonosis in Republic Commando, Can't get any earlier that that).

Zeta1127 likes this.
  18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Now I'm glad I ordered mine from Amazon US (along with Clone Wars Omnibus #2)..You might want to reconsider and do the same before we get closer to Christmas 'cos that will really increase delivery time from overseas.

19. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    A weird paragraph indeed, and why even highlight Grievous like that in the first place?

20. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Oooh, I like the Nil Spaar picture with Leia giving a calculating stare at him. Looks to me like shes saying 'Just what are you planning?' :D

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I think what he was saying was that the original EU Clone Wars couldn't use Grievous for most of the war because it was coming out largely in real time and he hadn't really been created yet, whereas now people can go back and put him wherever they want.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    He was probably trying to say that, but he doesn't. :p

Zeta1127 likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Made plenty of sense to me.

24. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I know what you mean. "Thus a key figure makes a relatively late appearance in the war, according to the Expanded Universe" can be taken to mean "a late appearance in the Clone Wars multimedia project". but that's not the immediate reading. Just a matter of clarity, IMO.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  25. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Not sure if "war" is generally considered a synonym for "publishing schedule." The only people who would read "a key figure makes a relatively late appearance in the war" as "a key figure was active throughout the war but doesn't start making appearances in the Expanded Universe until relatively late in the Clone Wars multimedia publishing project" are people who already know that fact. I don't see how anyone who's unfamiliar with the OOU Clone Wars history could interpret it that way.

GrandMasterKatarn and Zeta1127 like this.