main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darthkarma, May 18, 2002.

1. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

As usual, Mr. McDiarmid did a sensational job as Palpatine/Sidious.

From his plea to Amidala (so manipulative),
    "do it for me Senator."

To his buttering up Anakin's ego,
    "I have said many times...you will one day be the greatest of all Jedi."

To his insincere,
    "I love democracy, I love the Republic.."

and best of all, the way he says
    "Welcome home, Lord Tyranus."

The way he says "tyranus" is great.

A mighty big thumbs up for Ian McDiarmid.
    One more reason STAR WARS is great.

You notice the critics NEVER PICK on his
    performances or line readings. They always ignore the quality things about star wars and try to zero in on the weaknesses.

It's a good thing too that don't jack with Palpatine. One wouldn't want to get zapped with force lightning. ;)

2. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    I love his manipulation of Jar Jar, so deliberatly over the top, fantastic. :D

J7Luke and Jo B1 Kenobi like this.
  3. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    One of my only complaints about he movie was we didn't see enough of Palpatine.

JediART05 likes this.
  4. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Amen, brother. Ian Mcdiarmid is probably the best actor in this movie besides Ewan. I love the way he is ruthless as Sidious, and then becomes so innocent, and even naive, as Chancellor Palpatine.

J7Luke, Jo B1 Kenobi and Isaiah9823 like this.
  5. 81_Forever

81_Forever Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2002
    A strange question, but is Ian McDiarmid in AOTC the same guy who played the emporer in ROTJ? The name sounds fimiliar.

6. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
  7. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    Yep, same guy. Won't acknowledge who plays Sidious though. Strange...

8. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

It is the same guy.

And he is not that great people; he is camp and extremely hammy. I don't mind it personally but you can't generally call it good acting.

9. Vaders_leash

Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Ian's supposed to be good. He's portraying the biggest villain in the saga.

10. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

Yes, McDiarmid has played Palpatine/Sidious/Emperor in
    ROTJ, TPM and AOTC.

He was 35 years old when he played
    the Emperor in Return of the Jedi.
    Incredible acting job.

11. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    Yes, he is.

And that Jar-Jar scene was hilarious, it was like he was almost daring the Gungan into seeing through his plan, because he was so confident that Jar-Jar was too stupid to do it. Brilliant.

"Your overconfidence is your weakness".

J7Luke likes this.
  12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I have been raving about Ian McDiarmid ever since I joined these boards. He's a Brilliant theatrical actor, in the classic sense.
    Except for Sir Alec Guiness, Star Wars probably hasn't had a better actor. He will come into his own during Episode III! He will be so important in that movie, that the Critics won't be able to ignore him. :)

J7Luke likes this.
  13. DarthGunray

DarthGunray Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    Well, I personally find his acting to be top-notch. He always seems to hit the right notes with me. From being a hateful, coniving man in Sleepy Hollow to being an unassuming senator in TPM he plays his rolls perfectly. Ian McDiarmid is the man! :D

J7Luke likes this.
  14. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

For the uninformed (which is a polite word for ignorant, I'm trying to be nice here)
    Ian McDiarmid is considered to be one of the greatest and most successful actors AND directors of the British stage. He ran the Almeida Theatre of London for ten years which experienced almost unprecedented success and acclaim. He also acted in numerous plays, including plenty of Shakespeare, and directed many of them as well.

He recently departed the Almeida, and was almost immediately offered the opportunity to RUN the National Theatre of England, one of the most prestigious acting companies in the world.

If Ian does anything that appears to be "hammy" to someone, he is certainly an experienced and talented enough actor that he had a reason for doing it that way to achieve a specific effect, not because he isn't good.

I think his portrayal of Darth Sidious/the Emperor is wonderful. He's exactly the kind of flamboyant, arrogant, vicious sort of person that Sidious should be. He's the most evil being in the galaxy. He's bound to have a strong personality. And that would probably make him quite theatrical.

And I would strongly concur with G-Fett's comments...if Ian gets more to do in Episode III, the critics won't be able to ignore him.

15. AL

Aug 22, 1998

karma, if you are talking at me, you should address me by my name.

I am not saying that Ian McDiarmid is a bad actor, his performances in the Star Wars films, and especially AOTC, are hammy and highly camp.

Laurence Olivier was a camp and hammy actor in his final Hollywood days like in Marathon Man: it did not make him a worse actor.

16. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

Al, you're wrong.

Margaret Hamilton is hammy and camp.

Ian is subdued and lowkey as Chancellor Palpatine, and enthusiastic in his evil
    as Sidious.

But you're entitled to your opinion even if you're wrong. Al. [face_laugh]

17. AL

Aug 22, 1998

karma, the great critic wrote...

Ian is subdued and lowkey as Chancellor Palpatine, and enthusiastic in his evil
    as Sidious.

Subdued? Lowkey?

Ian McDiarmid in AOTC is camp and ham all rolled into one. It is necessary I suppose, but it is nevertheless amazingly obvious.

18. Yodabrains

Yodabrains Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    I think it's doing Ian McDiarmid a disservice calling him camp and hammy. Hey, i've seen a TON of movies in my life being a movie buff and all and Ian ain't even close to being camp. Even in the original trilogy he didn't play it up for the audience like Boris Karloff or anything. I feel his depiction of Palpatine has always been on the mark. A small example of campy actors throughout history till now..Boris Karloff, Keanu Reeves, (yes he's genuinely campy in some flicks) Richard Roundtree, etc..

19. Darth Saber

Darth Saber Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 1999
    Sorry for my ignorance of UK lingo, but is hammy???

DS

20. darth_pooh

darth_pooh Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    You Guys, stop the violence and look up for a second! I posted a freakin' awesome interview with McDiarmid as the first post on the "Sith Index" - the link takes you right to his interview on the official site...It's a juicy 4 pages!!!

Here's the link by the way, for those who are lazy:

Interview with McDiarmid

He leaks a lot of stuff about whether Palpatine is Sidious - for those of you that love that shtufff.

By the way, he is so awesome. He's cunning. Super intelligent. A slime bucket. A serial killer politican. He's perfect as ultimate evil and frightens the living pants off me!

;)

21. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    you've never had moons over my hammy?

22. Darth Saber

Darth Saber Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 1999
    Um, no...

DS

23. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Oh yes, that's my favorite meal at Denny's.

I don't see how anyone can say Ian is campy or hammy though. Sidious/Emperor is pretty straight-forwardly evil, but I wouldn't say campy...and Palpatine is played perfectly.

24. Jedisith1138

Jedisith1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2002
    I absolutely love it when Palpy is addressing the senate, pretending to care for the republic, and you can tell by the tone of his voice that what he is saying is total **. When He said "I truely care about the Republic..." everyone started to laugh.

Oh sweet irony.

25. darth_pooh

darth_pooh Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    People started laughing in my theatre when he said : "I'll step down as soon as this crisis abates"...LOL! ;)