main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Fate Of The Thrawn Trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by P.Sam, Jan 15, 2013.

1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Oh, I'm not either. Like I said, I think it was dodging a bullet big time. Luke being that ridiculously powerful barely a year after ROTJ would really make things difficult for The Thrawn Trilogy (Zahn doesn't like writing really powerful protagonists).

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

That was true right up until Allegiance where Mara becomes so uber it's scary

3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Super weapons galore, Leia and Han being chased by Fett for absolutely no reason and some uninspired artwork make dislike it

Darth_Foo, GrandMasterKatarn and V-2 like this.
  4. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    fett 4
    The artwork was inspired, just not by Star Wars.

fett 4 likes this.
  5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Sure it was. The colour scheme was inspired by the same Coruscanti death sticks that brought you the Holiday Special.

6. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I know i read from Zahn somewhere where he and Lucas know each other. i wish i could remember where i read it. I do not want to see the eu screwed with. It is our EU and whatever comes next should be forced within it's framework.

7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think that, on the whole, the Thrawn trilogy might survive relatively unscathed because it takes place not long after ROTJ. It’s anything that takes place 20+ years after ROTJ that will probably be jettisoned. Either that, or some serious alterations. My personal opinion is that the NJO era onwards will be wiped clean.

8. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    It all depends on if Disney wants to keep Mara Jade as Luke's love interest.

9. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Was not just the artwork that was inspired, the whole story was just stupid, I thought the whole point of RTJ (even beore the PT) was to show Luke refusing to become like his father symbolized by him looking at his robot hand. This of course inspires Vader redeem himself. It's a great story and its the heart of RTJ which is why Teddy bears and 2nd Death Stars do not completely drag it down. So the whole premise of Luke attempting/pretending to join the dark side etc made no sense whatsoever.

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Paul Chadwick (Darklighter).

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I read this like a poem, almost.

General Immodet and Havac like this.
  12. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    I can't agree more. It's a simple question of respect towards the fans. Star Wars is first and foremost a Saga of six films created by George Lucas but it has grew over the years to novels, comics, TV show that are part of this universe. It is what expanded the richness and vastness of Star Wars. No one would make me believe that new films cannot possibly be adapted to the chronlogy of this unverse without mixing it all up. I mean even with all the stories that already exist I've no doubt they can find a hole somewhere and build a trilogy right into it. That's what I call vision. Also what we could call ''respect'' for the people who have spent moneys in those novels, comics ect. because they considered them as stories that broader the picture of the Saga.

As for Timothy Zhan, I've read that it is Lucas himself who contacted Zhan to write a sequel in novels format for his original trilogy. It is said that GL valued Timothy zhan as a very good SciFi writter and that's why he wanted him to writte those books. Nothing is said about a relationship between the two men though...

13. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I had to look him up and apparently he also wrote Jedi Academy: Forgettable KJA Characters Fight a Dinosaur , so... :p

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    But you've got to admit, it was the best time that forgettable KJA characters ever fought a dinosaur.

15. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The artwork is good for what it is. Cam Kennedy has his style, and Star Wars wanted that style. The color palette is less about the actual colors you would see in a film, than they are about setting the tone of the scene. The greens and reds anytime we are around the Emperor or the dark side is looming evokes the Imperial March and the Emperor's theme whenever I see them. Blue always evokes the Rebel theme or the Force theme.

I think you have to look at DE from a different angle. I would agree with you if the story were set so shortly after ROTJ like was initially planned. With it set 6 years later though, you've got this long slogging war that Luke's been fighting ever since he supposedly defeated the Sith. The Empire is still around, worse yet... the Empire has made this massive unexpected resurgence and taken Coruscant again. Putting the New Republic on the retreat and basically forcing them back into functioning like the Rebel Alliance instead of a new Republic and galactic government. On top of all of that, it's been 6 years and he has yet to find any more Jedi candidates that were willing or ready to undergo training, and he's got his sister who hasn't fully embraced her Jedi heritage. He doesn't have Obi-Wan to talk to anymore. And he just came off fighting a psychotic dark side clone of an old Republic Jedi Master and the psychotic clone of himself that said psychotic clone had made... and that psychotic Jedi clone put the mental whammy on Luke too.

Luke has basically fallen into the idea that he's all alone in this fight against the dark side. The only remaining Jedi Knight. The last and the first. Corran Horn was a possibility, but didn't want to do it. Mara Jade was a potential candidate but didn't want to do it. Not even his own sister will fully commit to learning the ways of the Force and becoming a Jedi like her father and brother. Now the Empire has driven the New Republic off Coruscant and there's a familiar, dark presence behind it all. Luke does the only thing that he thinks will work at this point, since he apparently doesn't have any allies... he goes into the heart of darkness and attempts to destroy it from within. And he gets the mental whammy put on him. The main point is that he comes out of it realizing he has allies, his sister jumps into her role as Jedi Knight in this story. Literally everything Leia does in the Dark Empire trilogy is Jedi-related. The politician and Rebel leader isn't there. She's a Jedi Knight and a mother of the next generation of Jedi Knights. She's serving the Force first and foremost in this story. And Luke realizes he has to actively seek out students.

I don't see it undermining ROTJ at all, I see it producing some serious character development here that is... unfortunately... often overlooked because 'ZOMG da Empererz bak dat meenz da Chozun 1 profecy iznt fulfil'd!"

Esg likes this.