main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD The Gamers Gaming Thread About the Games they're Playing

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by -luigi-, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Spore is out; I knew I'd forgotten something. If I wasn't heading north for the weekend I'd be totally playing that right now :p

However, the retro gamer in me is more excited about how Steam now has the entire X-COM Series for US$13.49 'til next Thursday. Sadly only the last three games aren't as good as their predecessors, and I already bought the second game when it was available earlier, but for a chunk of old school gaming, it's a great deal.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

2. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Well here's an interesting and not 100% surprising piece of news: The Fallout 3 drug references have been censored worldwide. Basically, this means that the edited Australian version is now the same version as everyone else is getting. It seems that other countries were kicking up stinks about the content too, and Bethesda just decided to cut their losses. Can't say I'm surprised, or that I blame them, but I am disappointed. It's not a huge deal, but it would have been a nice bit of real-world colour to go with the mature tone of the rest of the game. Oh well.

Anyway, don't think this means I'll be buying it retail here. The BEST thing about this news is that I no longer need to feel paranoid about customs seizing it when I import it from Play-Asia. Half price here I come.

3. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Righto. Well we can set up the order as soon as everyone's ready. We had a thread for that somewhere around here.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

4. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Well now I've got my copy of Spore, and while I probably can't pass a full judgment on it until I've reached the space stage and tooled around in that for a while, as of 1 am this morning I was sure as heck enjoying it. If you think of it less as a game and more as a toy, a tiny little clockwork planet, then you'll get a great deal of fun out of it.

I'm especially loving the "massively singleplayer" aspect of it. The seamless behind-the-scenes grabbing of other users' content to populate your own personal galaxy works exactly as advertised, and man there's some cool stuff floating around out there. I want to add all you Queensland Funky Fresh peoples to my buddy list, though, since content from your friends gets preferentially chosen over random people's content. What are your screen names, Spore owning peoples? I already have Sammich on my list, and I think at the moment Magnus is the only other person with it, but chime in. A big part of the fun is seeing what crazy stuff other people are making. My name is timbo1138, for those who want to add me.

5. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
  6. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
  7. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Batman: Arkham Asylum. A Batman game with gameplay and aesthetics like The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay and BioShock?

I'm in!

And Mark Hamill is playing the Joker [face_dancing]

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

8. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Most definitely awesome. I'm still hanging out for a Batman game that's a cross between Grand Theft Auto and Assassin's Creed, however... =P~

9. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    Just bought The Witcher - Enhanced Edition. 1 DVD for the game, 1 DVD for extras, 1 DVD for extra videos, 1 CD of music from the game, 1 CD of music inspired by the Withcher and a map. Now this is PC gaming.

10. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    I'm getting towards the end of my second play-through of Mass Effect, and it's just as fun as the first time. I seriously dig this game, and love the universe it's set in. Bring on the sequel.

11. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    After feeling a strange and worrying urge to try playing Guild Wars again, I reinstalled it onto the laptop. I can't remember the blocky, horribleness that it was on the old Compy, but it's much prettier now.

One issue I'd like to get out of the way before I get into serious playing (and subsequently longing for WoW again - although hopefully not) is the whole, "loading each map segment as I come to it" thing. Lozza, I recall you telling me that there was a way I could download all of the map content in one hit - how do I go about this? :confused:

Nothing kills fun like a 30 minute load time for each new area...

12. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
  13. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Ok, Morgs, right click your link (be it on the desktop or menu) and take a look at the target line. To the target line simply add -image. This will download ALL the content. Meaning limited load time (you will still have a load screen simply because it is instanced - a pain to be sure for those used to persitant worlds -I came from L2 myself to this game- but it doesn't last long).

Doing this download will take at least 3 hours, maybe more depending on your connection and how busy the download server is when you do it - so my suggestion is doing it overnight. Once it is done remove the -image from the target line.

An alternative to this is me giving you a DVD with the 4gig .dat file on it (since mine is pretty much all there), this will save you precious quota if you can figure out a way to get it from me. It will also save you precious quota if you have to reload.

On second thoughts if you will be going to the theatre Saturday, I can get a DVD to you then if you want.

14. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Thanks Loz :)

Blast, not going to the theatre on Saturday, but I think MD is and is meeting us after for another to-do, so if he doesn't object perhaps he could act as a middleman? [face_thinking]

15. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Ok, well I'll make up a DVD and have it with me on Saturday. If MD refuses to play courier we'll work out something else, maybe I can get it to you in my lunch hour.

16. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Well there is that too - I'm always popping into town over lunch due to hating food in the Valley.

17. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    First teaser for Alpha Protocol. It's all pre-rendered, but gives a bite-sized thematic entre to the game proper. Mass Effect meets Jason Bourne? Yeah, I'd play it. I'd play its brains out.

18. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    What I'm playing now -

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - Really really enjoying it so far. It combines the parts I loved in the 'traditional' RPGs (Loot, Character customization, lots of clicking :p) and mixes it in with the best part of Mass Effect (Really interesting storyline, Choices in dialogue that make huge differences down the track and an really intriging universe. I'm going to look into finding some of the books) I'm trying to poopsock this out before Far Cry 2 hits because I already know I'll be sucked into that.

World of Goo - A puzzle game on Steam and Wiiware in which you have to save goo balls by making pathways out of other goo balls. It's a little hard to explain, so play the demo. Really one of the best indie games I've played. Fantastic visuals, music and gameplay.

19. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Ladies and gentlemen, the worst-kept secret in the games industry is finally revealed. I give you: The KotOR MMO.

I can't say I'm unhappy about this. Hell, it might make me actually try out one of these massively multi-whatsit thingies. What I am unhappy about is that reading between the lines of this report it makes it sound like KotOR 3 ain't happening, at least not any time soon. The story seems to be that this is 300 years after KotOR 2, and the nebulous threat of a "true" Sith empire in the unknown regions has come true and that they're waging war on the Republic. So if that's canon, Revan and the Exile failed, so any KotOR 3 featuring them will be rather anti-climactic.

Oh well. We'll see where this thing goes, I s'pose.

20. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Damn work filters...

But anywho, I guess a KotOR MMO is better than no KotOR at all - OR IS IT? :eek:

KotOR 3 would be preferable though...

21. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    It's got 'Bioware' on the box, which means it's a solid purchase for me. Star Wars or not, I'll buy it if they've made it.

22. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    If anything makes me want to play this game, it's this. Story. Every class in the game will have its own unique and tailored single player-like storyline, which is great, because I need something like that to sustain my interest in a game like this. I'll still feel weird about having thousands of people all experience that same highly personal story in an identical fashion to myself, but I think I can live with it if it means combining the strengths of multiplayer and single player RPGs.

23. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    It'd better be all about the story.

Some of those screenshots look a little weird though. I'm seeing The Clone Wars has been a slight influence on the design of the game.

I disagree that given this information, a KOTOR III would be anti-climactic, it would just be a major downer. A game where the combined protaganists either fall or fail because something dark and hungry and immensely powerful has awoken in the back end of the Sith Empire would make for a neat story, and could even be what "The New Jedi Order" was meant to be :p

Still, given my general distaste for MMOs, it'll be interesting to see whether they can reel me in or not.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

24. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    I'm seeing The Clone Wars has been a slight influence on the design of the game.

I disagree. I think that's World of Warcraft's influence. Low-poly but stylised characters and environments which look nice but don't tax the system. I WANT it to look like Mass Effect, because the thought of a Star Wars game on that engine moves me in very personal and private ways, but WoW's model of being able to run on your grandma's 386 is a big part of the reason why it's got as many players as it has.

25. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    You're absolutely right, I jumped to Star Wars influences rather than the MMO influences.

WoW on a 386?? You're gonna have to vodka cool that CPU :p

Design aesthetics aside (and yeah, Mass Effect is a good place to start from) as long as it feels like Star Wars, then all will be well.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.