main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Happened

2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    That's because it doesn't have the cultural resonance that the LOTR trilogy evoked in the wake of 9/11.

Also it's arguable that the first film was over-indulgent to tedium, didn't possess the grandeur and mythicism that came with the earlier trilogy, and it looked like ****.

3. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    New video diary of the pick-up shootings:

DWARVICISE!!!

Barriss_Coffee and Mar17swgirl like this.
  4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Awesome, thanks for posting

I laughed at the Dwarf training [face_laugh]

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Cumberfootfettish:

[​IMG]

6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    *incoherent excited fangirling noise*

Merlin_Ambrosius69 and Everton like this.
  7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Terrible Dragon makeup, Freeman at least made an effort to look the part :p

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just watched The Unexpected Journey for the first time. Yeah, a little late to the game because that's how I roll.

It was good to hear the familiar LOTR film score music and see Peter Jackson's visuals again.

It's been a pretty good while since I read the book, long enough that I only remember major characters and the basic plot, and I think this movie would probably a decent job for people who haven't read the book at all. I don't think the other three LOTR movies were the same in that regard; my parents saw them and while my mother who is a big LOTR fan enjoyed them, my father, who has not read the books, had trouble following the story.

I liked the way the opening scene set the background for how the dwarves lost Erebor and ended up "homeless," as well as setting up the enmity between Thorin and Azog. I need to get my book out but I remember it starting with Bilbo. Better to set up some background for the adventure first.

The humor is good, as it was in the other movies. The dwarves destroying Bilbo's house and "Have you seen what they've done to the bathroom?", plus "Is he a good wizard or is he like you?" and the troll blowing his nose on Bilbo (OK, that was gross, but good slapstick).

More background with the dwarves vs the elves vs the goblins. This is obviously a set-up movie, which is cool.

I also liked what Jackson did with the contrast between Bilbo wanting to be at home in his chair reading his book as opposed to the dwarves having no home, and the dwarves thinking Bilbo was going to be a burden and get them all killed, and then his proving himself against the goblins. I'll own it, I teared up when Thorin hugged Bilbo.

Now the downside: again it's been awhile since I read the book but I'm not 100 percent sure there's enough here for three films. I'm glad they've spent time on the background and characters but some of the scenes dragged, including the scene with Bilbo and Gollum, although I know how important that one was.

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The second film should have plenty of material for 3 hours: Beorn, Dol Guldur, spiders, Elves, barrels, Laketown, Bilbo talking with Smaug, and the showdown with Bard.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I knew there would be enough for at least two films and I'm glad they broke it up. I'm just not so sure about three.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  11. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I can't wait for them to float down the river in barrels for 2 hours!!!

12. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    "Are we there yet?"
    "NO!"

13. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I would totally watch the dwarves all get sick in the barrels and then have to sit in the sick for the whole two hours.

Now that, my friends, is the very meaning of epic.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003

I think the 3rd film is going to get the Helm's Deep treatment -- essentially a couple-page battle drawn out into a full film.

And probably Thranduil/Gloin banter. But if they start counting I swear I'll walk out of the theater. Unless Gloin kills Thrany's elk and says that counts as one.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope there's an excruciatingly awful interesting and wonderful romantic subplot involving Legolas and Evangeline Lilly's character complete with god-awful and unintentionally hilarious beautiful and meaningful dialogue.

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Even though there won't be a romantic subplot between those 2 :p

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There is. I read the script.
    Towards the end of the movie, Gandalf gets in a lightsaber wizard staff fight with Count Dooku Necromancer, and he jumps around all over the place thanks to the help of state-of-the-art CGI!

18. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I really like this fanmade video:p

19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
  22. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    AUJ:EE details. Official this time. Released in early November. Only thirteen minutes of extra footage, which I will be honest is a little less than I was hoping for. Likewise the box art is disappointing. I wanted something akin to the LotR:EE releases. But... it does look like we're gonna get a glorious set of appendices... which is the really important thing. There's even a clip from the EE to see... which I thought was really touching.

23. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Will Tom Bombadil make appearance in the movie? He didn't show up in LotR.

24. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    That clip was absolutely lovely. [face_love]

Although, I am disappointed at the inconsistency with the LOTR:EEs, but maybe the complete boxset of all three films will be different? Or, better yet, a COMPLETE set of the Hobbit and LOTR EE Blu-rays in one glorious package?

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Why does the Hobbit EE get 5 discs but the LOTR EE only get 4 ? [face_laugh][face_dunno]