main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    No it doesn't. Tom Bombadil was also in Tokien's original stories, but there was no weird, pointless 40 minute interlude to visit him in the first LOTR film. Nor would it really have been defensible if it had. A major part of Jackson's task is reconfiguring Tolkien's story into one that would work well in a new medium. He failed in that task, and the result is a bloated, unenjoyable mess.

You may as well defend typos in a novel by saying the author put them their first, and copy editors simply failed to note them.We know that. The thing is, that's their whole job. The job they didn't do. Which is why people criticized it in the first place.

Bacon164 likes this.
  2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Bloated, yes.
    Unenjoyably, certainly not.

Does make your butt sore though :p

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    =D=

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Another tired all-or-nothing fallacy... So what's the problem with including things that have a point?
    And I hate to break it to you, but Middle-earth is kind of a weird place.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  6. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Ridiculous

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Despite the hyperbole used, he's right, though.

:p

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Just wanted to verify before I update the thread title- we don't have a separate thread for the next movie, right? I looked around but didn't see any, and while it's preferable to have a single thread for the series, I didn't want to duplicate an existing one by accident.

9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    No, we'll just use this one (could do with a thread title update, though...).

Random Comments likes this.
  10. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Yes! Finally!

Thank you for updating the title!

I was too excited about that, wasn't I?

The2ndQuest likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    OMG CHANGE I CANT DEAL WITH THIS
    [​IMG]

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    All black and brown and covered with hair!
    [​IMG]

13. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013

Totally agree.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Bacon164 likes this.
  14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    This is not an adaptation of 1937's The Hobbit acting as if LOTR never existed. It would be more accurate to call it the era of The Hobbit as viewed through the lens of LOTR. As someone once said, the tale grew in the telling, and the Necromancer was retconned into Sauron. In light of LOTR that subplot is much more important.

Mar17swgirl and laurethiel1138 like this.
  15. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006

Exactly right. PJ is taking the Hobbit and LOTR and making it into one whole 20 hour movie starting with The Hobbit:AUJ and ending with LOTR:ROTK. Just like the Star Wars PT and OT are connected and not 2 seperate trilogys.

16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Except that even despite all its imperfections, AUJ >>>>>>>>>>>>> TPM.

vinsanity and Coruscant like this.
  17. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    With the exception of a some moments including Liam Neeson and Ian McDiarmid, TPM is abominable. With the exception of a few over-enthusiastic action sequences, some pacing issues and anything involving the Great Goblin, AUJ is pretty good.

18. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    You've given this a lot of thought, haven't you?

19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    That's because Jackson used existing dialogue written by someone who was good at it :p

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Oh yes.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Nonsense. AUJ is at the very least as bad as TPM. And the special effects manage to, somehow, look worse.

22. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I bet you have long leather bound journals with yellowed pages, filled with homemade black ink, that showcase your journey of discovery and how you processed your formation of your opinion the Hobbit movie. Don't you, Everton?

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
  24. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, I do. If one were to read through them, he would discovered how my opinion changed between pages 24 and 60 on the first hour in the Shire, with the dwarves and Gandalf trying in vain to enlist Bilbo, from a soft kind of enthusiasm to a pleasant opportunity to nap while waiting for more exciting bits to a renewed interest in the particular background details that fill up the screen.

25. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The good news is there's no reason parts 2 and 3 can't be better. Even though that zombie goblin genie character is a pain in the ass, the casting was solid. Thorin and Bilbo make a fun team. The Mirkwood segment at the very least plays to Jackson's core strengths as a filmmaker. That will likely be one of the highlights of the trilogy.

And then, of course the dragon attack on Lake Town and the battle of the five armies could rival anything we've seen in Return of the King for cinematic spectacle.

Plenty of reason for hope. Best just to write off unexpected journey as a shaky start. LOTR had the opposite problem. Fellowship was the undisputed masterpiece of the trilogy, which increasingly succumbed to bloat and overkill through the last two films.