main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    That is not an answer LS. I'm asking what caused it to become liquid?

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

The statue was still molten and it cooled down enough that it turned into liquid\

That answer ur question?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ok I'm brain farting and second guessing my memory here. Was not the molten gold inside a statue and he just opened a floodgate that released it? Am I recalling this wrong?

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Yes it was inside a statue, but the Dwarves broke the statue and revealed a molten gold statue then it cooled down enough to liquidify onto Smaug

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

In as far as saying "it was ill-conceived and like the rest of the film done for visual spectacle alone", yes.

Rebel_Padawan and yankee8255 like this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    When Thror was king under the mountain and skipping goldaholics anonymous meetings, he commissioned a giant golden statue of himself. The mold for the statue was built, the furnaces supplied with gold and fuel, and all was ready, then Smaug moved in before the project was completed.

Years later, Thorin & Co. show up, trick Smaug into lighting the furnaces which melt the gold which flows down the troughs and pours into the statue mold. As the molten gold pours into the cold mold, the gold at the outer surfaces of the statue is cooled by the walls of the mold and that part of the gold solidifies, but the inner core has not had enough time to cool off, so the statue is now crunchy on the outside with a creamy filling. So when the dwarves pull the chains that cause the mold to fall away in pieces, the outer skin of the statue holds its shape for a few moments. Then Smaug approaches, radiating heat like a blast furnace, the outer layer of the statue melts, and the molten core spills out as the remains of the statue collapse.

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

You've got it backwards, molten metals solidify when cooled.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

But if Smaug was radiating heat how could Dwarves stand to be close to him without getting singed?

9. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    You're talking of people who do smithing for a living, and who are the creation of Aulë (the Valar of arts and crafts, as it were), who made them nigh impervious both morally and physically, to the point that the only thing the Rings did to them was to exacerbate their greed (as opposed to turning Men into wraiths, or damaging Elves so much the only cure was to be found in Valinor). It is not so far-fetched to imagine that they could withstand temperatures that no Men or Elves would be able to bear.

Lauré :)

10. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Isn't a dragon fire made flesh so how could molten gold harm it in the first place?

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Where did you hear that?

But obviously it didn't kill him, or hurt him too bad.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Silmarillion, Ch 20, Of the Fifth Battle: "For the Naugrim" (dwarves) "withstood fire more hardily than either Elves or Men, and it was their custom moreover to wear great masks in battle hideous to look upon; and those stood them in good stead against the dragons."

13. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    ASOIAF I think but other novels have gone with the same idea about it. I mean it kinda makes sense, they breathe fire etc so heat wouldn't hurt it.

14. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Look, stories can ignore laws of thermodynamics and convection, that's okay, let's just not pretend otherwise.

Jedi Merkurian , Darkslayer and Sarge like this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

See I thought it was just darkvision 60ft, +2 Con, -2 Cha, +2 saving throws vs poisons and spells, +1 attack vs orcs or goblins, and +2 to search checks when detecting stone based traps. But fire resist!

Dwarves are OP.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  16. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    But surely Bilbo doesn't have fire resistance and he got pretty close to Smaug unscathed. :confused:

17. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Tolkien's rules, not PJ's...

Notice that Thorin did all he could to get him out of the way, too: from putting him near the water supply to telling him to "go with Balin" when faced with an angry dragon. It's not as if he was in the centre of the storm most of the time, unlike the would-be King.

Lauré :)

Sarge and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Oh he was wearing Pantaloons of Greater Fire Resistance, which absorb the first 30pts of fire damage per attack.

(Though where he got 60,000GP to pay for the enchantment I've no idea)

19. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    I was thinking more of when Smaug was sniffing around for him when he had on the ring. IIRC he got pretty close. But maybe his fire batteries weren't fully charged yet.

Actually, if Smaug were radiating enough heat to melt gold, I would think it would have damaged his bedding made of coins and other baubles, but I saw no such evidence of that. I'm not sold on this heat radiating thing. I'm willing to accept that the molten gold was enough to melt through the statue fully on it's own.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm not sure in traditional fantasy that dragons have radiated heat either?

21. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Not that I recall, but my knowledge/memory is spotty on that front, even with Smaug (and I'm too lazy to check), so I'll have to defer to those more knowledgeable.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    In Dragonlance, I'm pretty sure the riders of Krynn did not, in fact, burn their naughty bits off. But it could be like a superbike, where the saddle only partially protects and the dragon, which is already naturally aspirated, is cooled by airflow in flight?

It's not, I'm just lampooning the lengths people will go to to plug the holes in the plot. :)

23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

This. Exactly this.

That's pretty much what I assumed. Not sure it really works, though.

More than anything, I think Jackson and WETA spent a lot of time and effort (and money) developing Smaug and decided they wanted to have him do more than have a convo with Bilbo, then get ticked and fly off to burn down Esgaroth before getting shot down by Bard (total screen time between 3 and 6 minutes). Thus the extended, AOTC-esque sequence.
    Thanks for making me happier than ever with my decision to run track in high school, thereby assuring that I have never played a single game of D&D in my entire life.

Bacon164 likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Pfft, your loss!

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So I had another Hobbit related dream last night that I went to go see TABA, and the movie opened with Luke Evens singing Smaug to death. Oh and Peter Jackson and George Lucas were sitting in the front row ahead of me with Michael J. Nelson, and they were hackling the movie the whole entire time. I have the most ****ed up dreams.

Jedi Merkurian , Ghost and Sarge like this.