main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Mar17swgirl, sorry, you're off-base with your technical comments. LOTR being shot on film, scanned in almost certainly 2K (which is slightly higher res than 1080p and which is what most digital theatres project even now), then either sent out as a 2K digital file or 35mm film.... makes it better quality than Blu Ray. What you see when you watch the LotR blu rays is inferior to what you'd see if you saw a film projection of it in a theatre. 35mm doesn't have a resolution (though if it did, it would be higher than 4K), but I presume the CG was all done in 2K. Regardless, the film was rendered to be seen in theatres and thus higher quality than blu ray.

As to file size.... um, they should be the same. It doesn't matter if LOTR's film was scanned at 2K for the blu rays and that The Hobbit was 4K in theatres... because the blu rays of the Hobbit are, like those of LotR and every other blu ray of a film, rendered in 1080p. The original file size has no bearing on the blu ray file size. The Hobbit probably just has all special features in HD video, rather than the SD videos the LotR blu-rays took straight from the DVD sets. That accounts for the file size difference. It's not the films.

Miana Kenobi and Bacon164 like this.
  2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That's actually kind of awesome.

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Can't say they simply built the Council of Elrond.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I like it too.

7. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    ... for one does not simply make Imladris out of bricks.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

8. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Just a random post to say that while I was out shopping today, the Song of the Misty Mountains was playing in one of the shops. Cue the huge smile spreading on my face as my day just got so much better.

Now, I don't know who was the DJ, but I certainly can't fault their taste... And December can't possibly come fast enough.

Cheers,

NYCitygurl and Random Comments like this.
  9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

And an official pic! :D

[​IMG]

10. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    So maybe the rumored "nudity" mention in the projected PG 13 rating actually comes from the movie showcasing Beorn's unique abilities...

And I cannot be the only one seeing that official picture and having my mind veer in strange directions about Thorin and water, à la Darcy in Pride and Prejudice. Mahal smite me if I blaspheme, but Richard Armitage does tend to have that effect on even an honest woman.

Cheers,

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Underwear ad Kili and hairspray ad punk-bear! Yeeeeeeaaaah!

12. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    A very happy birthday to Richard Armitage, our own King under the Mountain. I hope his party is as plentiful as Bilbo's, and that he has many happy returns, though he be a mere Man and not a Dwarf like Thorin.

Cheers,

13. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I wish it weren't true. But the first part of the Hobbit drained away all my joy and most of my interest in this trilogy. It was just that bad. Grating the first time through and practically unwatchable on rental. I love the book enough that I'm still curious about how Jackson concludes, and of course I wish him well and want the trilogy to end on a positive note.

Bacon164 likes this.
  14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It definitely wasn't as good as I wanted it to be, but it wasn't bad by a stretch.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  15. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Indeed.
    It was good, but it wasn't great. It certainly wasn't terrible.

It's primary issue is being too long and dragging somewhat, but that was likely to happen given how much had to be squeezed out of a short book and appendices.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    zomg I've returned to Dec 2012 again! The curse was real after all!

17. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Some clever fan remastered the Desolation of Smaug trailer in 48 fps - here it is! :D Looking pretty good, I think, for a fan extrapolation...

VadersLaMent and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  18. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I feel like I've seen that cover before. Not one of the LOTRs. Another franchise. Giant person overlooking his shoulder and lots of other people crammed on the other side. This is gonna bug me now.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I would prefer something minimalistic, like just a logo against a black background or something. Unfortunately the marketing types continue to see us as as a bunch of infants who won't recognize the product unless the cover has a bunch of floating heads on it.

21. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    So why not just film the story as is instead of changing it? The entire point of changing and/or omitting certain parts of a novel when adapting it to film is to improve pacing and condense the message of the author into something that is film-able. With The Hobbit, Peter Jackson has decided to do the very opposite which is to take an almost near-perfect adventure story just ripe for film adaption and stretch it out with a bunch of lame cliché filler that completely kills the flow of the story. With the amount of screen time being devoted to this project, they could've just as easily filmed the novel word for word and the movie would've been less boring. It's not that often you can say that.

22. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Pressure from the studio brass for a trilogy is undoubtedly what drove Jackson to rely on filler material. Let's hope (I know I do) that the next two films will be better.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    ...all of which came from Tolkien's books in the first place. If you see Tolkien's plotting as "lame" and "cliche" that could go a long way toward explaining why you find yourself not enjoying movies based on his work.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Err, most of it. There are still plenty of original PJ elements...

Bacon164 likes this.
  25. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    That's an inadequate explanation for what went wrong. There are also the Lucasesque creative choices that seem more driven by commercial considerations than providing a compelling narrative and adaptation, e.g. the way the bunny sled seems to be a ham fisted effort to signal to audiences that the movie is supposed to appeal to children rather than actually just making the movie an appealing story for children, which admittedly Jackson may not be very good at doing.

Jackson's genius is the moody atmospherics that made the LOTR so special. The biggest problem with the Hobbit is that Jackson is constantly undercutting his own artistic strengths by diving into the moody atmospherics and pulling back and hedging the effort to try to somehow acknowledge the basic fact that the Hobbit was a book for children. Jackson was in over his head on this trilogy. He didn't know what to do. He probably knew it too, and originally wanted to call in someone who did know what he was doing (del Toro).

Jackson's one advantage for the last two movies is that the plot gets increasingly gloomy as the story progresses, which plays better to his artistic talents.