main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    That's what they're supposed to be doing, yes. Is that what they actually do? We just don't know...

Lauré :)

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Let me clarify: Gravity deserves most, if not all, technical awards over Hobbit.

Chewgumma likes this.
  3. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't think we're going to see a RotK situation with the final Hobbit film as far as awards go, at least, not the nearly the same scale. RotK definitely got consolation Oscars for the previous two films getting (IMO) robbed. But FotR still racked up the nominations with 13 total (including Picture, Director, Screenplay, Cinematography). TTT didn't fare as well, but I suspect that the Academy was already planning on rewarding RotK.

AUJ and DoS have not gotten anywhere near that kind of nomination love. I guess you could argue that the Academy is holding back like they did with TTT, but the Academy loves to play the hype game: they showered FotR with nominations, whetted our appetite, and made us wait in suspense for three years for the rewards to come. So far they haven't done that with The Hobbit films.

4. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    They haven't gotten love from the various awards groups, nor have they gotten the greatest reception critically. That's fine - a movie can be enjoyable even if it's not the best. I highly doubt we'll see anything on the level of ROTK, though, simply because these aren't those movies. Fun doesn't necessarily mean greatness.

5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The first two Hobbit films are not best picture calibre.

DarthTunick likes this.
  6. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Maybe they aren't... But maybe the third one will be so? We shall see...

7. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    I do not believe it will be. The second is mostly fluff and special effects. That is now the precedent.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

8. Sandtrooper92

Jul 31, 2013

I quite liked the pace of the first Hobbit.
    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatall 2

Darkslayer and Sarge like this.
  9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I liked the first one mainly because it was a return to Middle Earth. Part 2 was more of the same with an extremely huge emphasis on same.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    DOS was leaps and bounds above AUJ imo.
    AUJ isn't bad but DOS was better.

Penguinator and laurethiel1138 like this.
  11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I'll agree with that. I had fun with both movies, but they're not best picture candidates.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    No. No, it won't.

yankee8255 and Ender Sai like this.
  13. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    What's that? Ender Sai and Jabba-wocky agreeing on something two threads in a row? The world must truly be coming to an end, and we must needs prepare for the worst...

Honestly, though... I have high hopes for TABA, and you haven't. I get it. But, seeing as we won't be able to convince each other of our repesctive points of view, what about we just give this line of thought a rest? Let's just move along to other subjects and not waste any more of our time in this fruitless pursuit.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Fan made poster for TABA

[​IMG]

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Fan made posters are almost the worst thing out there. In descending order, with 1 being the worst thing about fandom:

1) Fan fiction
    2) Fan trailers
    3) Fan posters

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  16. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Now, come on, Ender. I've been reading fanfiction based off of various properties, including Star Wars, for several years. The majority of FF is trash, yes, but there's good stuff too. You just have to know where to look. Have you read The Son of Suns trilogy by blank101, posted in the FanFiction section of these very boards? That trilogy is quite possibly the best AU I've ever read and so much better than some of Lucas' ideas.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That's hardly anything to brag about, though. I mean, Lucas' ideas include AOTC and ROTS.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Fan trailers is the worst of the 3.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Well, it could be argued that, to some extent, Tolkien himself was writing fanfiction, as the tales of Middle-Earth are largely inspired by ancient sagas, namely Nordic ones, even down to pilfering names directly (Gandalf and Thorin, for example). The process was even an unconscious one, because when he wrote the tale of Numenor and tried to find the Elvish name for "downfall", he came up with "atalante" (the Greek legend of Atlantis ringing any bells?). So fanfiction all depends on the skill of the writer, and the only problem nowadays lies in the pesky lawyer-types who enforce copyright. I'm all for everyone receiving their dues, but sometimes the legal battles are bordering on the ridiculous.

I mean, all the Arthurian literature can be considered fanfiction, too, and the capacity to find new ways to tell a tale was something to be lauded, not so long ago. By your standards, masterpieces such as Mallory's The Morte d'Arthur or Chrestien de Troyes' works would not have seen the light of day. And the world would have been the poorer for it.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It could be argued, sure, if one's primary intent was to draw a series of comparatively long bows. Otherwise at best you're hanging a tenuous connection on a flimsy thread.

Being inspired by sources as he was does not equate to fan fiction, in the same way Lucas being inspired by Kurosawa does not make Star Wars a Hidden Fortress fan fic. Unless you want to contend Wagner's ring cycle is also fan fic?

No, fan fic is something people of middling talent do when they merge their two hobbies together. Given the published quality of Star Wars fiction, the line sometimes get blurred between the two but claiming Tolkein was a fan-fic'er does the man a disservice. And this comes from someone who thinks he's not the best fantasy writer out there and his films, though fantastic, aren't the best fantasy films ever made (I defer to the original Conan for this).

21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The Eagle Has Landed

[​IMG]

(Wellington Airport, after today's earthquake)

22. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    One of my favorite scenes from DOS was the one where Gandalf has entered Dol Guldur and is trying to lift the concealment spell that hides the Necromancer's army. Azog knows that they will be unmasked, so he waits until Gandalf finishes lifting the spell.

And then charges out of the illusion as it disappears and knocks Gandalf flat on his ass! That was a pretty awesome moment for the Pale Orc, who demonstrates cunning and strength beyond normal orcs and manages to disarm Gandalf the Grey. That's pretty impressive for an Orc. Bolg put up a pretty good fight against Legolas too, he actually managed to hurt the Prince of Greenwood.

23. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Boy these films sure do suck!

Sent from my iphag using tappidy tap tap whateverthe****

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Sandtrooper92

Jul 31, 2013
    DOS was full of sound and fury, and a lot of CG. Quite good when you haven't taken your Aderall.

Seriously though, at what point does a contrived action scene, such as the barrel scene, become cumbersome?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Sarge likes this.
  25. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Fan trailers are DEFINITELY the worst. Mostly because they are impossible to make even slightly good.