main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    What strikes me as odd is that Aidan Turner looks more Dwarvish in that "civilian" photo than in his "Dwarf make-up". 8-}

MrZAP likes this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well I'm a master of disguise. For instance, some times when I go out, I dress like a woman.

Miana Kenobi, MrZAP and Mar17swgirl like this.
  3. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    It's the beard... With dwarves, it's always the beard...

ETA to quote this:
    So we're in agreement, then. 'Tis not only Thorin who's an utter badass, 'tis Armitage himself.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Just remember, the Matamata set is Hobbit sized, not human sized, so it's probably stand-in.

This is me in front of Bag End in 2005:

[​IMG]

5. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh, right, I didn't realise the size of Hobbiton is smaller...

6. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    NYCitygurl and Random Comments like this.
  7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  8. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  9. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Hey! I'll take it! (I've actually been trying to get a copy for myself and my teacher. :( )

10. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Nice image of some of the cast and crew posed in front of the Hobbit themed 777-300 ahead of the premiere.

[​IMG]

EDIT: My favourite bit? McCoy with an umbrella. If only it had a red handle. :p

MrZAP, Mar17swgirl, solojones and 2 others like this.
  11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    So will we - eek - get some reviews tomorrow?

Also: CLIP FROM THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!

[face_love] [face_love]

12. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    I see Armitage is looking his usual dapper self, sans beard this time, in what appears to be a casual three-piece suit. Damn, but I'm starting to think it's utterly impossible to photograph him from a so-called "bad angle". *sighs*

Cheers,

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I think reviews are embargoed until Dec 5, Everton.

14. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    So has there been any snippets of news that has come out of the premiere in Wellington today?

15. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Security seems airtight on reviews so far. Jackson went out of his way to bribe all the fan sites into compliance with juicy exclusives and so on.

16. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Random Comments and Everton like this.
  17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    There's also a bit of Alan Rickman in there. :p

The Gandalf one is my favourite.

Random Comments likes this.
  18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Ugh, who did the lettering?! [face_sick] It's absolutely hideous - not only it doesn't respect the elegant symmetry of Tengwar (if you wanted to have a "rough" look, you should've used the Dwarvish runes - it would fit more with the film), but the transcription is also incorrect.

MrZAP likes this.
  19. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Well, my take on it is that it's Bilbo attempting to write in Elvish. Sort of how you don't get where to put the accents in Spanish when you first learn it, or how hard the Arabic alphabet is to learn for those used ot the Latin one. The film is, after all, about a Hobbit venturing out of the comforts of home and coming into contact with all sorts of unknown cultures (Dwarves and Elves), and I find interesting that the writing of the title itself reflects that curious blend of insecurity (the mistakes) and daring (the fact that he wrote them anyway). Fridge Logic or Fridge Brilliance, I don't know... but I thought I'd throw my theory out there anyway.

Cheers,

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Nope, still don't like it. The impression I'm getting is "Tengwar, but made to look like the Harry Potter logo". [face_sick] Awful, awful choice.

21. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    It looks like it says "Pimp", which apparently would be appropriate. ;)

NYCitygurl and Random Comments like this.
  22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    It's a raw money grab, that's for sure. But it will be very good at it. I was just thinking that the Hobbit will likely be the first non James Cameron movie to make $1 billion dollars outside the U.S. $1.5 billion total or better, although it likely will not outgross Avengers in the U.S. In total, I think Hobbit will give Avengers a run for its money.

23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    When I get up at 5:30 tomorrow morning to work a 12-hour day, that too will be a "raw money grab". This of course reduces the entirety of human endeavor to the form of a paycheck.

24. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    It's not the same dude.

25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm looking forward to the Hobbit movies, and I've always agreed with you, Merlin, that we don't need a better definition of professional or commercial art than "an attempt to entertain people and make some money."

But sometimes we can wish that the money and the art was balanced a little bit differently. I don't necessarily believe I'm getting more entertainment value by seeing the Hobbit stretched out over three movies instead of two.

Two movies would have been ideal from a narrative point of view. One movie up to or through Mirkwood. And the next movie focused on the Misty Mountain and Smaug.

Whatever ancillary materials Jackson had to add to stretch this to three movies can only confuse the narrative. Telling too many backstories and side stories may dilute the focus of adapting one of the all-time great children's stories for cinema. As a Tolkien fan, I'm interested by that stuff, but as a Hobbit fan and a movie fan, I want to see a focused narrative suited for motion pictures.

Unfortunately, the LOTR movie trilogy wasn't perfect. ROTK suffered from bloat and was seriously overbaked. But I still enjoyed all three movies and consider the theatrical release of FOTR a masterpiece. Likewise, I'm confident I'll enjoy all three Hobbit movies, but am not very optimistic that any of them will really reach the heights of Fellowship.

DarthBoba and Bacon164 like this.