main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Jedi in the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LawJedi, Nov 1, 2012.

1. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Amen brother... Hell, if it takes her force spirit migrating to a clone body owned by the Empire of the Hand.... I want her back damn it.

GGrievous likes this.
  2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't think I'll be interested in the ST if it doesn't have Jedi. And I'd rather not have Solo twins, Ben Skywalker, Anakin Solo, or Mara Jade. My mind could change if they were done well, but yeah, if they're going for that "pass on what you have learned" next generation of Skywalkers thing.. new material please.

3. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    It has to have Jedi, or I'm out.

...not really, but I would be VERY disappointed.

4. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Her death and then Jacen's dark side adventures pretty much need to go imo as well. I wonder if Luke would even be married to Mara Jade in the ST or if she would even exist. Hopefully she will.

5. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    I posted this in the Teaser Speculation thread but... since I included bits of EU Jedi I figured I'd put it here as well.

fade from black: DISNEY CASTLE AND LOGO
    fade in: LUCASFILM LOGO
    fade from black: Yoda lying on his deathbed. "Luke, when gone am I, the last of the Jedi, will you be."
    crossfade to an older Luke standing with Leia... "Luke..."
    crossfade to an image of a twenty odd year old girl with Leia and Han standing behind her. "The Force runs strong in your family." - Jaina Solo
    crossfade to a young boy with curly blonde hair with Luke and a redheaded woman standing behind him. "Pass on what you have learned." - Ben Skywalker
    crossfade to Luke standing beside the funeral pyre of his father. His voice begins to play in the background. "I have... But this Order, is different. They come from all walks of life."
    crosscut to a bearded man with a blue lightsaber cutting down two Mandalorian soldiers before drawing a heavy pistol. "Soldiers." - Kyle Katarn
    crosscut to a blonde man with a silver lightsaber standing guard. "Pilots." - Corran Horn
    crosscut to a redheaded woman with a blaster pistol in one hand and a blue blade in the other. "Assassins, and..." - Mara Jade Skywalker
    crosscut to a dark looking man standing in a hall. "Slaves." - Kyp Durron
    crossfade to Luke standing on a dias before a group of Jedi. "Now... we're here to welcome the first of a next generation into the Jedi Order."
    crosscut to Leia, Han, and Chewie standing behind two mid twenty year old. "Jedi Knights..."
    closeup of the girl looking up. "Jaina..."
    closeup of the boy looking rather proud. "...and Jacen Solo."
    crossfade to a dimly lit meeting room with Luke and the redheaded woman. "You must be proud." Luke says.
    crosscut to the redhead smirking faintly. "She was my apprentice... I suppose you already have plans for who she'll teach?"
    crosscut to Luke turning and giving her a boyish smile. "Jaina... I think will be Ben's master."
    crosscut to the redhead nodding. "She always go along with him... but he will be trouble, after all he is..."
    fade to black. "...our son."
    fade in to a dimly lit corridor lined with pillars, a trio of mandalorians walk down the middle. One of them looks to be barely a teen. A voice echoes in the background. "The Mandalore Sector hereby secedes from the New Republic."
    crossfade to a young boy with dirty blond hair stumbling back from a door. The mandalorians storm inside, their leader lifts a finger toward the child. "Take him!"
    crossfade to the senate where a blond senator stands giving a speech toward the chair, where Leia Organa Solo stands. "In order to insure our freedom, members of the Mandalorian Protectors have seized the Jedi Academy..."
    crossfade to a pair of bound younglings being dragged into a dark room by mandalorians. "... and taken the students within to ensure the senate's compliance."
    crossfade to the Senator of Mandalore. "All we want, is to be left alone."
    fade to black
    title: STAR WARS - Episode VII: The New Jedi Order
    text: Summer 2015

Julius Vernon likes this.
  6. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I don't know if they would follow or hint at the possibility of a EU friendly film, unless the writer loves Star Wars, which would be good.

7. VonDan

VonDan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 4, 2012
    By the end of the novel JEDI CHICKS and the Party at Endor Luke meets six JEDI Pattywons and a Jedi Squire and then Princess Polly Palpitine, Darth Vada (missing her legs) and Darth Molly are still around so plenty of force users that can still be active 30 or even 40 years later

8. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Okay, so I don't know how many Jedi we'll see. It all depends on the timeline. Also don't know if there will be a Jedi council. The BIG question, though, is what will Luke Skywalker wear?
    Will he be dressed in those sleek blacks that he wore in the final battle with Vader -- coolest of his uniforms by the way -- or will he wear the dark cloak look at Jabba's Palace? OR will he bring bacl the more traditional brown robes like Obi-Wan and the othe Jedi wore????

To me the black (dark brown) signals the dark side a la Anakin. What do you peeps think?

9. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Luke will probably rock regular robes, ie. Obi Wan. Though I preict one of the characters will wear the armor/robes like Obi Wan in Clone Wars. I'd be pumped to see that. Also, I don't want the whole Order in robes. Lets some of the masters wear robes, Corran Horn=Green Robe. Kyle Katarn wears his Video Game outfit. Kyp Durron wears something similar to Han. Clighal wears a sleak white jump suit just like Akbar.

I feel as though Jaina, if included, will have to run both the BA Jedi outfits, but then turn around and double over on the sexy outfit ie. Leia in VI, Padme in II. She will also probably have an action figure for every costume...

The more I think about it, I feel as though Jaina and Jag will be included as a mirror image of Anakin and Padme. Jedi and Politician. Except Jag is way cooler than padme.

tsunami1138 likes this.
  10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Barabels look nothing like Bossk, who is a Trandoshan. They are two distinctly different reptilian species.

tsunami1138 likes this.
  11. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    But is it lack of creativity or realism? I mean it is quite a standard naming procedure.

12. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I know that, but to the movie viewer, they are going to have to make an effort to not have a "Is that the Red Skull?" moment when people see Thantos. We don't want a "Is that Bossk as a Jedi?" not that is Saba. I realize there is tails and countless other things, but have to look at it from casual viewer perspective

13. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Not to mention Anakin Solo is named after Anakin Skywalker. Valin and Jysella are named after their grandparents. It wasn't as though Luke knew his Naiberre grandparents or wanted to name his son Shmi.

14. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Many casual viewers are smart enough to know the difference.

thesevegetables likes this.
  15. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I hope we see EU Jedi, especially Jaina and Ben. I don't think Arndt and co. need to give slavish adherence to the EU, but I think they should respect it.

With that said I highly doubt that Arndt has followed all of the EU and he certainly doesn't have time to read everything now, but he can easily use advisers and follow high level overviews. Let's hope that he understands what is out there and how much has been established.

16. MasterCircassian

MasterCircassian Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 20, 2006
    I hope no EU Jedi/characters are in the ST. Those are great stories (well some of them anyway), but should be left on their own. The ST is a really unique opportunity to tell a new story. And as per the topic of the thread, I think it'd be neat if Luke had run into some survivors of the Clone Wars who had renounced their knighthood and had brought them back into the fold. That way the fact that Luke and Leia were the rebellions last hopes still holds true, but also helps tie up a new generation of Jedi without Luke having just one person to train through a lifetime.

17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    It is pretty obvious that Luke would never train just one apprentice with a whole order to rebuild. If you think about it, even Qui Gon trained three apprentices. Hypothetically, Luke trains one apprentice directly following EP 6. Now 2 Jedi. 10 years later, they both train another apprentice... By 50 ABY, there should be anywhere from 8-16 Jedi of varying ages and species

18. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Can Star Wars discover Star Trek technology? Beam people up? Invent better & faster ships? Will the jedi come up with better lightsabers or guns or robots or weapons, etc?

19. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Trandoshan (Bossk)
    [​IMG]

Barabel
    [​IMG]

20. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    No

thesevegetables likes this.
  21. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I highly doubt any of the EU will be used and I'd be glad if it isn't. Keep in mind Lucas has said that what happened in the EU is not the direction he would have gone in. Luke never marries (and by extension we can assume he has no offspring-continuing the mythical Jedi way) the emperor is never reborn, etc. And Lucas did have story ideas, however vague, for the sequel trilogy in the late 70's early 80's.

The original idea was to end ROTJ with Luke confronting Vader alone-no emperor. The emperor was to finally be defeated (and by extension ending the Empire) in episode IX. Unfortunately Lucas shot himself in the foot, at least in terms of now scripting the sequel trilogy, when he wanted to be done with star wars in '83 and incorporated those elements into ROTJ. Now he has to fill in the spaces.

To battle the remnants of the Empire is weak. The Empire was beaten by the rebellion at the height of their power, with two Sith in charge. I don't care if they put some blue-faced bitch and his monkey body guard in charge, the Empire no longer poses a believable threat.

Luke was supposed to find his sister in the sequel trilogy and now that that element was incorporated into ROTJ in the form of Leia, they have to come up with a new force-sensitive. They can still keep the Luke training a female relative angle in the form of training Han and Leia's daughter. However I don't think and would hope it isn't Jaina, but an all new character of Lucas' creation. After all he is the original author so throw all that EU stuff out.

Bringing out some Jedi who survived the purge, or were clones, or were in stasis, or were resurrected, or somesuch nonsense cheapens what was established in ROTJ: the legendary and mythical status of Luke as the last of the Jedi (the last of the Jedi you will be...) They need to come up with something that holds true to that, not all that EU dreck. I mean come on, didn't Darth Maul get resurrected or put back together like humpty dumpty and fight Darth Vader or something? What garbage.

I hope there is some gold left behind from the young Lucas about the Sequel trilogy in those original notes, because they might be able to come up with something now that Lucas is doing what he should of done with the prequel trilogy: sitting down with a professional writer at the earliest stages and coming up with the story for all the episodes before writing the first script. Then keeping his heavy hand out of it and letting the writer write the scripts.

22. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Someone brought up an interesting point. There are a lot of similiarities between Anakin and Lukes story in TPM and ANH respectively. A lot of the same discoveries made, a lto of the same firsts, a lot of the same kind of interactions etc... We know that Lucas likes to repeats things with different charaters and in slightly different ways. It would be hard to have a child of Luke or Leia disvoer they are a Jedi/can use the force, go into space for the first time, meet Luke and start training etc....

I wonder if we'll find out that after RotJ and/or getting rid of the Empire Luke went off to figure out how to rebuild the Jedi order, and part of Episode VII will be a new character/hero trying to find Luke or Luke finding him.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That's so Revan!

Togruta likes this.
  24. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Maul has come back more than once... though admittedly bringing him back in TCW was handled better. (Being cut in half does not guarantee death... as we've seen from Maw in Dark Forces II for example)

I honestly don't think George is all that awesome when it comes to writing... he's a great idea man, comes up with fantastic imagery but when you get to the gritty part of characterization, writing, and getting it all to fit together... He really should have gotten help for the Prequel Trilogy. A co-writer would have worked wonders, and in that regard I agree with you.

As I have said before, some of the Expanded Universe fits, some of the Expanded Universe doesn't. I do not see Luke as celibate, he was brought up on Tattooine as a farm boy and was in a love triangle in the original trilogy. Mara Jade is slipped into the RoTJ radio play and some have said she's in the Special Editions... (I can't find her but then I'm not really looking for her when I watch it) I do not see the writer slavishly following the EU... the Star Wars Expanded Universe has grown so large that it's much like a comic book universe... Some stuff is usable for a film, some stuff isn't.

The 'pass on what you have learned' command from Yoda follows Yoda saying 'the Force is strong in your family'... now, lets be honest here. This could easily mean that Yoda is not adverse to Luke having a family... It all depends on interpretation. At very least it means that Leia's children should be trained by Luke, and that she will have children. Are there other force sensitives out there that could be trained? Sure... You can't think that Anakin Skywalker is the only force user the Jedi didn't detect... I mean Palpatine was a force sensitive in the republic and never found.

Does George Lucas read the EU? Well... he has said he read some comics (Dark Empire anyone) and apparently had some hand in the drafting and development of the Thrawn Trilogy. Beyond that we don't know anything. However... I think there are book lines that he at least had to approve. The 14 book Young Jedi Knight series anyone? I mean when that was proposed I'd think the names: Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin Solo entered his awareness at least.

Overall, what does this mean? We have had characters jump from the EU to the films, but it's not common... at the same time there simply wasn't nearly as much material for them to draw from with the Prequels. Who could they have put in the Phantom Menace? Jorus C'Boath? The characters didn't exist. Now with Episode VII the opposite situation has appeared.

They have more source material then God to pick out the best and most audience palatable bits, and that's exactly what they'll do... they'll take what works, what George and Arndt like and use it in the next movies. I mean George's harsh... 'that's not where I wanted it to go' criticisms seemed to have started with the NJO and in all honesty... I AGREE! The New Jedi Order and it's follow ups are not where I would see Star Wars going and they're not where George saw them going either. But... does that mean everything that the EU has utilized will be abandoned? Does that mean Luke Skywalker be a celibate Jedi without any children of his own? Does that mean every single book with the post-RoTJ stories will be rendered 'Non-Canon' and infinities?

I don't think so.

I don't think so for a number of reasons... but lets think back to Episode I. When George first wrote the script, the capital was not Coruscant... it was Hab Abbadon. Just that alone would demolish the post-RoTJ EU... You know, every single book out there... He was talked out of it because, well it's a rather trivial thing and lets face it... Coruscant is a brilliant setting and Abbadon was conceived of as being much like Mustafar. Yeah, not working that well. The benefits of the de-canonization of a work weren't worth the cost. Now, that's a setting detail, I expect canon inconsistencies to be taken at a case by case value.

Having Chewie in Episode VII is a great example of the opposite being true. Chewie is as loved as Artoo and lets face it, how many people that read Vector Prime threw it against the wall because of what happened? Yes this takes out a load of books, but we're talking about a character that's loved by millions! Letting him die off-screen is far worse then loosing those books.

Mara Jade and Ben Skywalker? Okay, the number of characters that have managed to jump from the EU to the films is only around... 2-3 I believe. Vos and Secura I think are the ones most people know about anyway. The thing is those characters are very, very popular in the Star Wars fandom, but they're not that well known to the general audiences. Mara Jade is that popular in the fandom but is also known to the general audience for two reasons. 1. She's Luke's wife and every Star Wars would tell them and 2. If they bought 1 EU book series it was the Thrawn Trilogy. Making Luke celibate does a number of things and upsets many people except for the film purists (which as a demographic group is even smaller then EU readers). Making him a widower is almost as bad as Chewie dying off-screen. Another thing is that the movies are about the SKYWALKERS... not the Solos. So we need a protagonist with the Skywalker name... Hence why so many of us are talking about Ben. Moreover Mark Hamill has repeated voiced his support for the characters Mara Jade and Ben Skywalker... so, Mark himself might be upset with their loss.

But who is Ben? Didn't including Chewie destroy the NJO where he comes from? Yes it did... this means Ben is a tabula rasa for the writer, which is great! Hurray a hero that they can do whatever they want with. In fact much the same can be said of the Solo kids... the NJO killed one of them, Legacy turned two of them against each other... Yeah, bringing in Chewie turns them into tabula rasa as well... so why not use them... you've got the freedom you need that way, right?

25. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Why does Luke being single mean he is celibate? And what does being a "farm boy" have to do with it? The whole point of the OT is Luke growing as a character........

Kennedy said today that Star Wars wasn't like Harry Potter and they didn't have a book series to draw from or use a template and that it all came from Lucase, I wouldn't hold my breath on Mara, Ben, Jacen o Jaina showing up.