main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Jedi in the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LawJedi, Nov 1, 2012.

1. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    *Sigh* Surely you're taking the Harry Potter comment too far. Yes, Star Wars is not Harry Potter. Yes, the PT will be an original story. That's all that comment means because the Harry Potter Movies exactly followed the books... *Pulls hair out in frustration*

All she's saying is that the new movies will not be an adaptation of a set of EU books. That's it. That's all. Surely you can't take that to mean nothing from the EU will be included at all.

thesevegetables likes this.
  2. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    stellarmagic01

Very well written and thoughtful post! The only problem that I have with it is the length of time between VP and Apocalypse - if Mark Hamill (and any other of the Big 3) is/are intended to reprise the original role(s). All are roughly at post-Apocalypse age in RL.

I don't know how many film-watchers are like me -- more liable to watch a film because an actor or actors I like are in it. I think any attempt to recast would be problematic, as (to me) the original cast are the definitive Luke, Leia and Han - much like David Suchet is the definitive Poirot and Sir Derek Jacobi is the definitive Cadfael. On the last point, having at least one change of Hugh Berringar in that one (who didn't even look like the character's description in the books, whereas the original did) rather soured those episodes.

3. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree that recasting would be a bad idea, at least for the PT. This doesn't mean that the time period couldn't be set for around that... but I will say that keeping fan favorites like Chewie and adding Mara Jade to the films without the NJO or Legacy era conflicts would only improve the films. Who all remembers 1998 when Mara and Luke hooked up? It was like a party in the EU to gear up for Episode I almost. Then 1999 happened and things went straight to the Seven Hells of Corellia.

Yes we have a 61 year old Mark Hamil, a 59 year old Carrie Fisher, and an old Harrison Ford to work with. Good makeup and physical training could shave some time off their appearance (we often see actors playing characters as much as 10 years older or younger then they are with relative ease). So yeah they could do 30 ABY, they could do 40 ABY, or hell they could do 50 ABY... but does that mean the events separating RoTJ from the PT will be the same? No.

4. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    No, she said theyr don't have books use as templates of what the stories might be (ie - maybe Jaina/Ben story) like Harry Potter had. She also said the original story and ideas were coming from Lucas and when they have questions they go to Lucas.

She basically set Lucas up as their source of info on the world, source of ideas and direction, and dismissed the books as sources of information or direction.

5. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Okay fenton, if you're going to be that way lets look at exactly what Kennedy and Lucas said.

GL: "I just said that I would 'back her up' that I would be there if... especially helping with the script and making sure the script and there were a lot of blank spots in the story treatment we'll fill in..."

KK: "I think the incredible thing about George... this is not like a series of books like Harry Potter where we've already got a template for what the stories might be. These are original stories and original ideas that come out of a world that essentially is in George's head. The beauty of the collaboration that can continue is... as we work our way through these scripts. If we're sitting and saying, 'Hmm... I wonder if uh... this character could do that. Or does this make sense within the rules of Star Wars (...)"

GL: "That's all my job is... to be the keeper of the flame."

I know this may mark me as a target here, but who remembers the role Gene Roddenberry played in Star Trek during the Next Generation television series and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn? He did essentially the same thing that they're talking about George doing here...George Lucas controls things like... 'How does the force work' and so forth.

Some of the things that the interview reveals are interesting... for one thing it's quite apparent that there are 'blank spots' in the story treatment. For another is the acknowledgement of a collaboration with the writers brought onboard, and probably with all the people working with the EU and continuity. If anything the interview makes me more certain than ever that we'll see both the EU utilized and George Lucas's own creative ideas much like with TCW. It doesn't completely dismiss the idea of EU influence at all... it just dismisses the idea that they're doing an adaptation of the EU novels.

6. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I'm telling you, Quinlan Vos! Lucas specifically asked for him not to be killed after ROTS. It was probably to include him in the much maligned TV show, but why not be used now? He appeared in TCW. For that matter, Cade Bane and Hondo are awesome characters I would like to see make cameos at least

7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I don't know why, but I can picture Dane DeHaan as Luke's son and James Franco and Lily Collins as Han and Leia's kids.

8. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Dane DeHaan would be a great choice, he does look like Luke a bit...

9. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    EU does influences George Lucas to some extent or another, whether he admits it or not. This means that EU ideas may come up in future Star Wars films, either directly or indirectly, to some extent, regardless of how vague or specific the similarities or contrast may be between future films and the Extended Universe that is already out there.

10. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Holy Crap, you made a valid well thought point...

Tim Battershell and LawJedi like this.
  11. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    The big question is...Will Luke follow the rule of 2? If he only trains 1 Padawan at a time, then there might only be a handful of Jedi.

12. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Jedi dont follow rule of 2 only sith...

13. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Damn. Now that would be a massive irony there.

14. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    why not? might actually be fun.

15. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    no it wont im gonna go pout now

16. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

There. There. It's ok.

17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Lol I know. I still want the eu njo in the background. Here's to hoping.

18. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    I don't mean the Rule of 2 in the Sith sense that there can only be 2 Sith at one particular time. I mean in the sense that according to Yoda and the Jedi Council, each Jedi Master is only allowed to have one Padawan at a time.

"QUI-GON : I will train him, then. I take Anakin as my Padawan learner.

OBI-WAN reacts with surprise. ANAKIN watches with interest.

YODA : An apprentice, you have, Qui-Gon. Impossible, to take on a second.

MACE WINDU : We forbid it."

19. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah. I highly doubt we need to worry about that...

20. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    If Luke wants to rebuild the Order asap, he will take on as many students as he feels he can devote enough training time to - OJO rules notwithstanding!

Bazinga'd likes this.
  21. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    WHAT ORDER??!

Luke doesn't know anything about a Jedi order FFS.

22. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Informed by Yoda and/or Obi-Wan offscreen during the OT? Even if just as general Jedi information - they were both on the High Council, after all.

23. tsunami1138

tsunami1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    You forget. If it did not happen on screen, it DID NOT HAPPEN. Apparently.

24. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    You forget. If it did not happen on screen, it DID NOT HAPPEN. Apparently.[/quote]

There must have been dead silence in Yoda's hut during all those evenings that we didn't see, then! And I can't really believe that Jedi Lore wasn't part of the curriculum in training a new Jedi. Obi-Wan's line in ANH "I was once a Jedi Knight....Like your father" just begs for the question "What's a Jedi Knight?"!

On a more RL level, the scripts are also G-canon. From the 'Titanic' book (which is an annotated script) I know that whole chunks of a finished script often don't get used in the finished film; most of the chunks being marked "deleted for pacing".

Come to think of it, the scene of Luke building his new green-bladed Lightsaber never appeared in the movie either!

The_Hellhammer and tsunami1138 like this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And in the EU, it's pushed back to several months before the start of RoTJ- so as to start Shadows of the Empire with it.