main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Journal of Talon Tantiss (DDC 2013 ) Updated 22 Dec 2013--Complete.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Lover, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Caught up again. Wow is there some change of mood from one entry to the next. Talon's having quite an emotional rollercoaster of a time. At least he's gotten to spend some time with his family.

Interesting that they aren't supposed to use that particular weapon on an individual. Is it to try and avoid blowing up bystanders too, or is the resulting mess just considered too horrible? I mean, I'm sure it's awful, but Talon and other commenters have a point -- pretty sure the dead guy would find it equally bad if it wasn't messy!

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks! That is sort of a nod to an old (but false) rumor that went around the Army in the 70's and 80's. The rumor was the Geneva Conventions prohibited the 50 Cal machine gun (Ma Deuce) from being used against human targets because it would cause unnecessary sufferings.

It's not true, but many soldiers, including many of my Vietnam era sergeants believed it (supposedly the rumor started when an ammo shortage had commanders telling their troops to restrict the ammo to hard targets such as equipment and vehicles). Anyway, one of my sergeants is telling me that the Ma Deuce is so powerful it could crack an engine block and can't be used against humans, only equipment. Then in the next breath he tells me how he cut down a squad of the enemy in Vietnam with the weapon. I said to him, "I thought you said they were supposed to be used only on equipment?" He grinned and said, "Helmets, uniforms, weapons and canteens are equipment."

I always remembered that. I wonder if he would be disappointed to know he really wasn't breaking the rules.

Anyway, I would think the GA would restrict the explosive tipped slugs in situations where they are working along a non-combatant population. It is hard to win over hearts and minds when body parts are raining down on their roof. It might seem a bit excessive, but I doubt the rule would be in place because of unnecessary suffering because you really don't suffer much once hit.

3. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Yeah kind of reaffirms that saying dead before he hit the ground.

Well in this case you would be...nothing so there wouldn't bebanything to feel. Or hit thebground with for that matter

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

4. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Just finished reading this from the beginning and...wow! :) I love the action, the family moments and the humor had me laughing so hard. The tone of the entries keeps it interesting from one to the next. Very well done. You're very talented. :)

5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Wow! I think I have posted 60K words so far of this story. That's amazing that you read it all at once! Thanks! I really appreciate your kind words.

EDIT: I just went over 10,000 views! [face_party] Thank you to all my readers!! [:D]

6. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I've missed Talon while I've been gone. I'm glad to be catching up. The last line of this entry was chilling.

7. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Talon missed you! He'd was pouting around with my muse lamenting that ginchy wasn't around to write a ginchy-shine. lol! Good to see you back girl!

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks Hazel, earlybird-obi-wan, Briannakin, Nyota's Heart, and EmeraldJediFire for reading and reviewing. I still have friends in the military. In the past Army buddies of mine would occasionally email me a name of another friend who died in combat. Fortunately now most of my army buddies are Colonels, so they are usually not on the front lines that much. Now we are at an age where we are more likely to die of a heart attack.

The next few posts will be relating to the battlefield...then I will get Talon back home and back to getting in trouble.

~JL~

Entry 72

The platoon we were working with went into a hot zone for a Grab-n-Dash. That’s where we drop into an area where our soldiers are pinned down and help them evacuate or fall back. Dad and I were tasked to help evacuate soldiers who are unable to move on their own. Often they are pinned down with a lot of enemy crossfire. Because lightsabers are a great defense against blaster bolts we are an idea team to go in.

In my first Grab-n-Dash mission we went in to evacuate a squad from our own company. They were Jump Troopers who were pinned down with artillery and heavy blaster fire. Our armor is good, but not good enough to sustained prolonged blaster fire or point blank contact with explosives. Usually if a Jump Trooper was down you have to go in with a hover-stretcher. Unfortunately, hover-stretchers are not build for speed and it is an angonizingly slow process to evacuate a man out of a kill zone using that contraption. Unfortunately, most men cannot physically pick up and move an armored Jump Trooper (or JT) without assistance. The suit enhances the wearer’s strength, but not so much that a JT can pulled a hundred kilo trooper wearing a seventy-five kilo armored suit off the battlefield…unless they can use the Force to levitate the wounded soldier.

And that is exactly what my father and I did one day. We dropped in to a firefight and would use one hand to deflect blasterbolts with our lightsabers while using the Force and our own muscles to pick up the wounded man. Normally the jet propulsion of our packs wouldn’t generate enough lift to carry two armored men out of the area, but using the Force we could manage to bound out with a few Force and Jet Pack enhanced leaps.

We saved a few men that day, but not all of them. We would get them to a secure zone and call in the medic. My dad and I would help the medical personnel get the soldier’s armor off for treatment. One time we lifted a breast and abdominal plate and realized the man’s armor was perforated at the side by a blaster bolt. My stomach tightened by what I saw. His abdomen was like a bowl of blood and guts. One look and we knew there was little a field medic or med-droids could do and we weren’t sure if the facilities on the Star Destroyer in orbit above could do anything either.

What made matters worse was my father knew the dying man. We got the helmet off to show a light skinned human with black hair and the darkest brown eyes I have ever seen. My father lifted his visor so the man could see his face. When he did, he smiled at my dad. “Mark, thanks for coming for me.”

At least that is what I thought he said. He was choking on a lot of blood making speech difficult. We knelt over the wounded soldier up near his head while the medic did what he could with the wound in his midsection. I knew dad was trying to distract the man from his injury.

“Hey Maxx, It’s been a few years,” my dad managed to get the words out before he bit his lower lip in an effort to control his facial expression. I could see this was tearing him up. He motioned his head to me. “You probably don’t recognize him, but this is my youngest son Talon.”

I raised my face shield so he could see me. The man turned his head and I can tell his eyes weren’t focusing, but he smiled anyway. “Your dad used to talk about you and your bother when we were in the field. It’s nice to…owww!” The man grimaced in pain. He tried to lift his head to see his wound but didn’t have the energy. He looked to my father. “I’m dying, aren’t I?”

My dad closed his eyes. “I don’t know Maxx. We’ll do everything we can to help.” Maxx cried out in pain again and my dad turned to the medic. “Can’t you give him something for the pain?”

“I’ve given him the full amount authorized.” The medic looked almost as upset as my father. “Anymore and it’ll kill him.”

My father nodded and then took off his gauntlet and laid a hand on Maxx’s face. I could feel a swirling in the Force and I knew my father was trying to use it to deaden the pain. I took off my gloves and tried the same. “Are you going to do a healing technique, dad?”

My father nodded, but I could see in his eyes he had little hope. A trained healer like Cighal might be able to save the man long enough to get him into a full bacta bath, but we weren’t trained healers. At least our attempts to reduce the pain appeared to be working. Maxx’s face relaxed. “Thanks, Mark.” He reached up and grabbed my dad’s forearm. “Mark, please give a message to my wife, Jenny. Tell her I love her and the kids.”

My dad made a funny noise and I realized he was trying not to cry. “I promise,” he finally choked out. The man smiled and closed his eyes. We stayed with him until we could feel his Force signature gradually diminish until it was no more. My dad then wordlessly stood and walked away. I didn’t follow. I knew he wanted time to grieve. I finished removing the man’s armor before the medic and I placed him in a body bag.

Another Jump Trooper had seen the end of war.

Entry 73

Later my father told me about the man that died. His name was Maxx Raptitor. He was thirty-two years old and had been in the military for twelve years with nine of those years in the Jump Troopers. His had a wife named Jenny and two kids, a boy and a girl, ages six and four named Kyle and Shanna.

My father went on a number of missions with Maxx. Dad said he was a brave, kind and generous man and he wished I got to meet him before this mission…that he was a man worth meeting.

I wanted to record the above in my journal because these troopers sacrificed everything and they should never be forgotten.

I know I will never forget these men.

9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    touching update describing the real life and agony of a soldier.
    Armour is heavy and the Force is handy.
    Try to lift a fully equiped firefighter and you know.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    They get mad when I try to pick them up. They are cute though and I just want to take them home. ;)

Seriously, my husband was EOD and he once let me put on his bomb disposal suit. I think that thing weighed almost as much as me. Walking in it was like trying to walk with toddlers hanging onto your legs (my kids loved that game when they were little). I couldn't imagine evacuating somebody wearing that suit.

Thanks for reading.

11. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    What a horrible day for Mark, and for Talon.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  12. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Very touching @};- Talon will never forgets these days.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow @};- Talon is certainly getting his full of unforgettable and life-altering experiences =D=

Jedi_Lover and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks Nyota's Heart, Hazel, Briannakin, and earlybird-obi-wan for reading and taking the time to review. Talon has had a lot of life altering experiences, but it is nothing compared to the profics with the Vong War and Jacen turning Sith and Jaina having to kill him. I just can't be that cruel to my OCs.

Thanks for reading! [:D]

~JL~

Entry 74

The GA intel received information that the enemy was storing weapons and headquartered in the remote town of Skogen. So they had sent a company of ground troopers to the town to sweep the area for weapons and enemy combatants.

The town was the type we called DeRa hell. DeRa means Dense and Random. The homes are close together and built in no apparent pattern. The roads are winding and radiate out in irregular configuration. There were back alleys, dead end streets and all types of danger spots where ambushes could be set up. To make matters worse we were told there was an extensive maze of underground tunnels under the village that were used as emergency shelters during the planets many tornadoes and storms.

The company of GA ground troopers immediately came under fire not only by blaster fire, but by a mortar barrage, with the enemy showing no concern for the local civilians. The company was able to fall back and hunker down in a defensive position. That is when the Jump Troopers were called in as reinforcements.

Our job was to find the mortar teams. We didn’t know if it was just one team or many, only that they were striking at will and then quickly moving to a new location. We dropped into the area where the mortars were last seen coming from. We encircled the area and had one platoon search the cordoned off zone while the other three platoons contained the area. My father and I accompanied the platoon doing the sweep. We were carrying heavy blasters and our lightsabers as we moved from building to building searching for the enemy.

We got halfway through the sweep when we started to take on enemy fire from the rooftops. Dad yelled to the platoon sergeant to cover him, he was going up to the roof. He then signaled for me to follow. We could have flown up to the roof, but we were sure they were expecting that. We hoped we could sneak up on them using the stairs, but they must have had a man guarding that approach and we immediately came under blaster fire. We ran up the stairs anyway. Dad is in the lead using his lightsaber to deflect blaster fire coming down the vertical shaft of the stairwell. The next thing I heard was the clunking sound of something metallic bouncing down the stairs.

“Thermal detonator!” My dad shouts. I look up and I can see the round explosive device rolling toward us. My dad and I are in armor, but not thick enough to survive a direct hit with this type of explosive.

“Force Bubble, Talon!” My dad calls out as he used the Force to halt the detonator’s movement. I can then sense him pulling the Force around the explosive device. I concentrate on assisting my father. I remember my heart beating wildly while using every bit of concentration to envelope the deadly object. Within a few seconds the detonator exploded. I could see the Force bubble swell with the expansion of energy. I felt the pressure of the explosion pushing against the protective shield we created and I had to strain to maintain my Force grip. Just as I thought I couldn’t hold on any longer my father raised both his hands and the bubble of explosive energy flew up the stairwell shaft and burst through the roof above. My dad and I press our bodies against the wall while using the Force to shield us from falling debris.

Once things stabilized we ran up the stairs and onto the roof. There were about six men on the roof blasting at us. Dad and I used our lightsabers to deflect the shots back to the shooters. Eventually the firing stopped and we approached the men lying on the ground. We checked for survivors, but there were none. Dad went over to a portable mortar system sitting on the roof and hacked it up with his lightsaber. Afterwards he got on his comlink. “The rooftop is clear.” He turned off the communicator and looked up to me and opened his helmet shield so I could see his face. He has a wide smile. “You did great, Talon. I wouldn’t have been able to contain the thermal detonator explosion without you.”

I opened my helmet and smiled back. “Thanks.” I really don’t believe my father would have failed without me, but it is nice for him to say so.

“Come on, let’s rejoin the platoon.” We lowered our helmet shields and moved down to the street below.

We swept through the buildings and alleys with little resistance. Still it was nerve wracking because the enemy could be anyone. Our adversary lived among the local population.

I was following my father. He had his lightsaber blazing, but I had put away my lightsaber in exchange for my heavy blaster. Like my father, I don’t like killing with a lightsaber. To be honest I don’t like killing at all, but if I have to kill the enemy I rather do it with a blaster and not with a lightsaber.

My danger senses flared as we came under fire from somebody up ahead in the road. My father deflected the blasterbolts easily and the other members of the platoon concentrate their firepower on the shooter’s position. I sensed someone coming from my right. I spun around and aimed my blaster and readied to shoot. I hesitated when I realize I was aiming at a young boy who was probably not older than seven or eight years old. As I lowered my blaster I heard a metallic clunk. I look down and saw a thermal detonator sitting next to my father’s armored foot.

“Grenade!” I screamed as I attempted to create another Force bubble. My father looked at me and then down to where I was looking. He reached out with the Force and attempted to envelope the explosive…at that very moment the detonator went off.

The Force bubble held for a few seconds, but then our grip on the Force slipped and the explosion escaped from its confines. I remember flying through the air and landing hard against a wall.

I shook my head, trying to clear my mind. I heard the platoon leader calling the medic. I struggle to my feet and rushed to my father. What I saw made me sick to my stomach. My father was lying on the ground, his visor was open and I could see him grimace in pain. He perched himself up on his elbows and looked down at his feet. It was then that I noticed his right foot was gone and there was blood gushing from the wound.

The medic was frantically trying to remove his armor. I slid down on the ground next to him and attempted to assist. The soldier looked up to me. “We need to get the armor off to put on a tourniquet.”

I nodded and pulled on the metallic latches but the heat of the blast fused them shut. I felt my father’s armored gauntlet grab me by my arm. I looked down at him; his face was an expression of pain. “Use your lightsaber, Talon,” he gasped.

“To cut off the armor?” I wasn’t sure if I could do that without cutting him up also.

My father shook his head. “No, cut off my leg right above the wound.”

“What?!”

“It will cauterize the wound,” my dad said.

I looked at the medic wide-eyed. He nodded. “That should work.”

I know it would work, but that doesn’t make it any easier for me to do. This is my father. I don’t even like using the lightsaber on my enemy, let alone my dad.

“Hurry, Talon!” My father urged me. I can see he is getting pale from blood loss.

I reluctantly took off my lightsaber and ignited it. The green glow of the saber reflected off my father’s grey armor as I steadied myself for what I had to do. I lower the blade. It cut through the armor with some resistance. Once the blade touched his flesh it cut through quickly. I bit my lower lip as my father screamed. My hands were shaking as I finished the cut and then shut off the lightsaber.

The medic inspected the wound and then looked up to me. “The bleeding stopped.” He put on an anti-pain patch on my father’s face since he couldn’t get to any other exposed flesh. I noticed the firefight was over and the platoon had set up protective positions around my dad. After a few minutes I heard the distinctive sound of an air transport. A jump trooper leapt down and landed next to us holding a hoverstretcher. I used the Force to levitate my father onto the stretcher and the evac-medic manned the carrier controls to levitate my father up to the air transport.

I intended to stay behind but the platoon sergeant came up to me putting his hand on my shoulder. “Go with him. I think we cleared this area.”

I nodded and activated my jet pack and blasted up to the air ambulance transport.

I found a seat next to my father’s stretcher and buckled in. My father turned to me and I could see him smile. “You’re mother is going to kill me.”

“I think Mom is the least of your worries.”

Dad chuckled. “This is my worst injury. She’s going to kill me and maybe your Uncle Luke.” My dad’s voice started slurring. I look up to the medic.

“The medication is kicking in,” he explained. “It kills the pain, but makes people a little loopy. I wouldn’t take to heart anything he says for the next half hour. People sometimes say crazy things or start slurring their words like they’re drunk.”

I nod my head. “Just relax Dad.”

My father then starts patting his body with his gauntlet-covered hands. “Is my foot the only thing missing?”

“Yes Dad!”

My father put his hands over his crotch and smiled. “Good, all the important pieces are there still.”

I shook my head in disbelief.

“Talon,” my father said with some difficulty. “I love you.”

“I know dad.”

“I love your brother, but you were always my favorite.”

I laugh. “I thought Jaden was your favorite. He was less trouble to you.”

My father shook his head. “No, your brother is your momma’s boy. You…you are so much like me. You act like me and you look just like me,” my father mumbled.

The medic looked at my redheaded bearded dad and then at me with blond hair and blue eyes, then shrugged. I know what my dad meant. If he didn’t dye his hair and eyes we would look just alike.

“Tell your mom that I love her.” Dad said to me.

“Dad, you’re not dying.”

“I know, but I’ll be in the bacta tank and unable to talk,” my dad insisted.

“Okay, Dad. I’ll tell her.”

My dad started chuckling.

“What’s so funny?”

“What’s your Master going to say when she finds out you chopped my leg off with your lightsaber?”

“Dad! You told me to do it!”

“You are almost as bad a Jacen,” my dad laughed.

“Dad!”

At that point the drugs must have kicked in all the way because my dad closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_rofl] Mark is a trip! Whew! Talon's thinking: My family is nuts! The things I get roped into -- :rolleyes:

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  16. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    Oh my poor Mark! I think people with Skywalker DNA just are programmed to lose limbs. And Talon had to cut through his father's flesh. It's so horrible for a child, even to save parents.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Poor Talon. Another Skywalker loosing a limb. Can it be grown back?

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  18. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Outch on Talon having to cut his father's leg. Drugged up Mark is funny.

Jedi_Lover and Nyota's Heart like this.
  19. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    This is a good one...interesting choice

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Wow. Poor Mark, and poor Talon, but I couldn't help but laugh. Kira is going to be torn between killing Mark and smothering him.

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks Briannakin, EmeraldJediFire, Hazel, earlybird-obi-wan, Demendora, and Nyota's Heart for reading and taking the time to comment. Although Talon Tantiss during his brief appearance in STN:Sacrifices is written as a snarky Gary Stu, I wanted to show that his reputation of being a womanizing, uber-warrior was overrated. Death and destruction bothers him greatly and we all know that his success with the women is mainly a creation of the media at this point.

Thanks for reading.

~JL~

Entry 75

My dad was right. Mom was upset. Dad was evacuated to a GA Star Destroyer medical bay. My Uncle Luke and Aunt Mara gave Mom and my brother a lift to the ship aboard the Jade Shadow. My dad was still in the bacta tank when they got on board. Mom stayed by Dad’s side and cried. This wasn’t my dad’s first dip in the bacta, but he never lost a limb before. I think this is tough for mom because usually dad is patched up and in working order before he comes home to see her. I think she was able to not think about the danger and live in a state of denial…but not this time. Dad would be in the tank for at least a week.

My Uncle Luke tried to comfort my mother and reassured her that once his cybernetic limb was created he would be as good as new.

She then turned to me and asked me what happened. I told her about the young boy and the thermal detonator.

“I tried to contain the blast using the Force…but I wasn’t strong enough.” Then for the first time since the incident I started to tear up and I started to wonder if I was the one to blame for my father’s injury. If I had studied harder at the Academy could I have pulled off the containment of the blast like my father did earlier?

My Master must have sensed my change in mood and came up and put her arm around my shoulder and led me out of the medical ward.

“This is not your fault, Talon,” she told me.

“I know,” I said but it came out sounding anything but sincere.

My Aunt Mara frowned. “I don’t think there is any apprentice at the Academy who could have done what you did. Without your help half the platoon, including your father and yourself would be dead.”

I shook my head wondering if I should have done something different. “Maybe I should have used the Force to throw it away or I could have taken the lightsaber to chop it up…maybe I could have disabled it.”

Her hand gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze. “Don’t beat yourself up with ‘what-ifs’. If you threw the detonator somewhere…where would it have landed? Even if you shot it straight into the air the shrapnel could have come raining down on the civilian population. Also you didn’t know when it would explode. As for chopping it up with the lightsaber…that might have worked but once again you didn’t know how much time you had and the saber might have triggered the explosion anyway. You did the best thing under the circumstances. The fact that a thermal detonator exploded five centimeters from your father and he only lost a foot is a testimonial to your ability with the Force.”

“I guess,” I mumbled, not at all convinced. “I should have sensed the danger, though.”

“Talon, I believe you didn’t sense danger from the boy because he didn’t know what he was throwing at you. The enemy used and endangered a child in order to outwit your Force senses. There was no evil intent coming from the child and therefore you didn’t pick up the danger until you saw the detonator. I’d hate to say it, but I have seen this done before in other conflicts. Using children this way is a war crime and reprehensible. Luckily, your actions probably saved the youngling.” My Aunt Mara gazed at me with a soft smile. “I’m proud of you. You did a wonderful job. Don’t ever think otherwise.”

She patted me on the shoulder and then went back to the medical ward. I didn’t go back right away. It broke my heart to see my mother crying and my dad floating around in a bacta tank.

I sat down in the waiting room area and unclipped my lightsaber and stared at it for a long time. I constructed it when I was around twelve or thirteen years of age. I remember how excited I was to have my own lightsaber. I dreamt of the heroic feats and adventures I would have on missions. Never in my life did I think I would have to use it on my own father.

I turned the weapon over in my hands and wondered if this was going to be my life from now on. How many times will I see war, death, destruction and my mother crying beside a bacta tank?

The life of a Jedi is not as glamorous as the holo-shows make it out to be.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Mara's words are well-considered and true. She's not the kind to sugar-coat; if Talon had done anything amiss, she'd be the first to address it. I hope her words sink in eventually. The what-ifs will paralyze and demoralize faster than anything else could. [face_thinking]

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Eekkk. Poor Talon, he did the right thing, but I think anyone would be bothered with the 'what ifs'.

24. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    This was a very heartfelt entry. Couldn't help hut feel sad for talon during the last part

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    You are showing the horrors of the war and the children being the victims. Talon is right and Mara too.